Ukip isn't Left-wing or Right-wing. It's just sensible

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The old Left-Right spectrum has no place in today's politics, where leaving the EU is the most radical policy proposed by any party.

Ukip isn't Left-wing or Right-wing. It's just sensible

Ukip's migration spokesman Steven Woolfe Photo: Eddie Mulholland

By Steven Woolfe, Ukip MEP
04 Jun 2015
The Telegraph
189 Comments

Steven Woolfe is one of the three Ukip MEPs for the North West of England and the party's migration spokesman. His father is African American and his brother Nathan is a Stockport County and former Bolton Wanderers striker

Recently on the Today programme, I answered a question about the UK Independence Party by saying that it was not a "Right-wing" organisation. The response to this was immediate. My inbox, Facebook and Twitter were flooded by those critiquing my response, asking if I meant what I said or had - in the case of those who didn’t hear the original interview - been misquoted.

I find the analysis of what Ukip is by those who commented illuminating, as my analysis is that Ukip is neither Right-wing nor Left on the conventional spectrum.

Sam Macrory @sammacrory Steven Woolfe insists: 'We are not a right wing party.' Someone in UKIP's PR/branding team may have some questions to answer. #r4today
8:21 AM - 15 May 2015
4 Retweets 3

BBC Radio 4 Today ✔ @BBCr4today "UKIP not right wing party" & 'we needed to change sometimes neg, neocon, tea party tone' - @Steven_Woolfe Interview http://bbc.in/1HkJ5zT
4:31 PM - 15 May 2015
11 Retweets 10

We’re a party uniquely positioned to win votes from both Left and Right-wing parties, but not so supinely, unoriginally centralist as to be run down in the middle of the political road (as the Lib Dems were at the recent general election).

Surely, in today’s new plurality of ideas, the traditional spectrum of Left and Right is an outdated idea? It's pushed by lazy mainstream media analysts who, like our outdated and unfair electoral system, haven’t quite caught up with the new, emerging, political landscape.

For instance, when Ukip MP Douglas Carswell recently debated his former Conservative Party colleague Damian Green on the merits of the UK leaving the European Union, which one was the Left-winger? The one who supports our membership of an emerging, freedom-limiting superstate? Or the one who wants new forms of "digital democracy"?

The terms "Left" and "Right’ date back to the French national assembly during the revolution. The French elitists, the rich and the conservatives didn’t want change - in fact, they refused to embrace a New France - whereas the Left were seen as the radicals, who proposed and wanted real change. Surely, going off this spectrum, the Liberal Democrats, Labour and the Conservatives would all be firmly on the Right, whereas Ukip would be on the Left? We are after all the only party proposing real change by leaving the European Union.

In practice, because Ukip is not fixated by political ideologies, these terms are now superfluous for use in sensible UK political debate. Which is why they have ended up in the gutter, used by stupid reactionary street thugs like those who tried to inflict violence upon Douglas Carswell as he left parliament because he was "right-wing scum".

Ukip do not have to kowtow to the outside bodies like unions or corporate sponsors which traditionally anchor political parties on the left or right. We debate those issues that may compromise our principles even though the outcome may be detrimental to our party - Ukip's discussions and the outcome over so-called short money is a case in point. We are a democratic party that believes in ideas - ideas which are likely to be best for the people of this country, and which will lower the cost of living and increase real wages. That’s not Left or Right; it’s just Ukip.

We have been called "Left-wing" by the Tories time and time again for wanting to scrap means testing for the most vulnerable in society. Meanwhile, Labour call us "more Tory than the Tories" - code for "Right-wing" - for wanting such things as well-financed armed forces. Since when has supporting our armed forces been a Right-wing idea? Supporting our forces is common sense. They put their lives on the line for us, it’s only right we support people while they’re part of our armed forces and make sure that support is continued when they leave. It’s not Right-wing; it’s just the right thing to do.

Lastly, if "Left-wing" is ‘radical’, then seeking to put an EU In-Out referendum and staking a claim to take back Britain’s sovereignty back at the centre of the country’s political agenda is arguably the most radical policy that has emerged from any UK political party since 1974. Even the most curmudgeonly of political commentators could agree.

Ukip isn't Left-wing or Right-wing. It's just sensible - Telegraph

Last edited: