Election 2015: 'Panini Cheapskates' sketch party leaders

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Football fans know all about the collectable Panini football stickers.

And now a couple who completed a World Cup sticker album with their own DRAWINGS of players have turned their hands to politics - sketching party leaders ahead of May's election.

Dubbed the "Panini Cheapskates", Alex and Sian Pratchett, from Oxford, created all 639 stickers of the World Cup Panini album last year.

Mr Pratchett said their latest project was inspired by the Leaders' Debate which took place live on ITV last Thursday which saw SEVEN party leaders going head to head.

He admitted the couple's artistic talents had not improved.

The General Election is being held on 7th May and will almost certainly result in another Hung Parliament as in 2010 with another coalition being formed. We could see the current Tory/LibDem coalition continue; we could see a Tory/Ukip/DUP coalition; or we could even see the nightmare and, quite frankly, bizarre scenario of a Labour coalition with Nicola Sturgeon's SNP. There are a number of other coalitions which could be formed and it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Election 2015: 'Panini Cheapskates' sketch party leaders

8th April 2015
BBC News

Alex and Sian Pratchett's latest creations, including David Cameron, were inspired by the televised leaders' debate

A couple who completed a World Cup sticker album with their own drawings of players have turned their hands to politics - sketching party leaders ahead of May's election.

Dubbed the "Panini Cheapskates", Alex and Sian Pratchett, from Oxford, created all 639 stickers of the World Cup Panini album last year.

Mr Pratchett said their latest project was inspired by the ITV's Leaders' Debate.

He admitted the couple's artistic talents had not improved.

Seven party leaders went head to head in the live two-hour ITV Leaders' Debate on Thursday night, clashing over immigration, the NHS and spending cuts (L-R: Green Party leader Natalie Bennett; Liberal Democrat leader and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg; Ukip leader Nigel Farage; Labour Party leader Ed Miliband; Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood; SNP leader and Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon; and Conservative leader and Prime Minister David Cameron)

The couple said Liberal Democrat leader and Deputy PM Nick Clegg had "no defining characteristics", making him difficult to draw

The sketch of Labour leader Ed Miliband started out as David Cameron

UKIP leader Nigel Farage was the first political drawing

He said the debate on 2 April had sparked the couple's latest labour of love and helped to "scratch the itch" left behind following the end of the World Cup.

"I can categorically say my drawings have not improved though," Mr Pratchett said.

"I sat down to watch the leaders' debate - my wife was away and I was left to my own devices - and I thought to myself 'even though we are still rubbish at this, surely we can draw this lot'.

"[Nigel] Farage was first and it's fair to say it went quite badly.

"The second one was supposed to be Cameron but ended up being Miliband, which is quite alarming."

Mr Pratchett said he "got into trouble" with his wife having failed to draw any of the women leaders, including SNP leader and Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, at the start of the couple's latest challenge

The pair described the Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood's drawing as a "bit less scary" than Mr Farage

Green's Natalie Bennett was the last of the party leaders to be completed by the duo

Mr Pratchett sketched an image of the prime minister before the end of the debate, but said he "got into trouble" with his wife, having failed to draw any of the women leaders.

The pair have since completed Nicola Sturgeon of the Scottish National Party, Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood and Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, as well as Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg.

On completing Mr Clegg the pair tweeted: "Done a Clegg. Turns out drawing a man with no defining characteristics can be quite the ordeal..."

Mr Pratchett said he was "not the most political person", but would follow the campaign "pretty closely".

As well as the leaders, the couple have also drawn other politicians involved in the campaign, including Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls and former Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Mr Pratchett said each drawing takes about 20 minutes.

"Sian was always a bit quicker though," he admitted.

The Cheapskates have also drawn other politicians involved in the campaign, including Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls

Mr Pratchett said each drawing, including this one of Tony Blair, takes about 20 minutes

Election 2015: 'Panini Cheapskates' sketch party leaders - BBC News

Last edited: