Obama backs India's solar goals, seeks support for climate talks

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
First China, now India.

Obama be steppin up his game.

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama on Sunday offered to help finance India's ambitious solar energy target and sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi's support at global climate talks in Paris later this year.

India is the world's third-largest greenhouse gas emitter and often acts as the voice of the world's developing countries in United Nations talks on everything from climate change to economic cooperation.

It is reluctant to commit to emission targets on the ground that this could hinder economic growth, which is vital to lifting millions of Indians out of poverty. Instead, Modi has made it a priority to expand India's renewable energy capacity and lessen the need for polluting fossil fuels.

"We very much support India’s ambitious goal for solar energy, and stand ready to speed this expansion with additional financing," Obama said in a joint press conference with Modi on the first day of his three-day visit to New Delhi.

India is seeking investments of $100 billion over seven years to boost the country's solar energy capacity by 33 times to 100,000 megawatts.

The United Nations asked governments on Thursday to submit plans to cut greenhouse gas emissions as the building blocks of a deal due in Paris in December to limit global warming, after scientists said 2014 was the hottest year on record.

"The prime minister and I made a personal commitment to work together to pursue a strong global climate agreement in Paris," Obama said. "As I indicated to him, I think India's voice is very important on this issue."

Modi said a deal between Washington and China committing to a peak year for emissions did not put pressure to do the same on India, where industrialization is far behind its larger neighbor and where hundreds of millions have no electricity.

The U.S. Export-Import Bank is exploring projects for a $1 billion clean energy financing for companies willing to ship equipment from the United States to India.

First Solar and SunEdison Inc SUN E.N are two U.S. solar companies that already have sizeable businesses in India, and together with local firms, are expected to invest $6 billion in India in the fiscal year to March 31 and $14 billion in the next fiscal year.

To further mobilize private capital for the clean energy sector, the U.S. Agency for International Development will install a field investment officer in India this summer, the White House Press Office said in a statement after the summit.

(Editing by Frank Jack Daniel and Crispian Balmer)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sure why not pump a couple of billion dollars of taxpayers money into a foreign country's pie in the sky solar scam. After all the US government has had such a surplus of cash in the last six years.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The best way for India to achieve its climate goals is to reduce its birth rate.

This country produces more useless people than the world combined.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The best way for India to achieve its climate goals is to reduce its birth rate.

This country produces more useless people than the world combined.
How very German of you. How dare they want more than one mean a day now that some of them have jobs. (hallmark of being part of the failed British Empire) Strip the 1% of their hoarded wealth and a lot of issues like hunger and jobs would magically disappear, the citizens of the West are the only ones on the globe who are ignorant of that fact. (and I get to meet some of their biggest fans, life is good)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
None of the goodies will ever see Canadian shores again so you cheering is just letting you IQ score out. We get to play India at 1 meal a day, like they do when they are out of work.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If you let them have electricity and the things that run on them they find other things to do at night when it is dark everywhere.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Let them ????
They can get all the electricity they want if they would just get their sh^t together.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
No no.

Even doing it responsibly, there are too many people on this planet.
Yes I agree there are too many people on this planet.

The Greenies always keep talking about reducing our green house gases, they come up with all kinds of ways that we should compromise our lifestyles to achieve this but they never say that we should reduce the worldwide population growth.
If one wants to reduce greenhouse gases then the most effective ways is to reduce the human population.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First there are no useless people at birth, its what they are taught as they grow up
Every every country has useless parents that don't teach the right things. Now
for the rest. I am not a great believer in global warming, climate change has happened
for billions of years and will forever. I am not opposed to seeking new innovative ways
to harness energy. Sometimes investing in someone Else's technology is good for
all. We should be informed on details but not quick to shoot down any and all ideas.
If someone is ahead in a field and partnerships will open new doors why not?
I ask that in the sense are we having a discussion or should I be preparing for another
anti Obama thread

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yes I agree there are too many people on this planet.

The Greenies always keep talking about reducing our green house gases, they come up with all kinds of ways that we should compromise our lifestyles to achieve this but they never say that we should reduce the worldwide population growth.
If one wants to reduce greenhouse gases then the most effective ways is to reduce the human population.

Oh, I would love to have some serious population control but that would be unethical.

Condoms are the nicer way.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
First there are no useless people at birth, its what they are taught as they grow up
Every every country has useless parents that don't teach the right things. Now
for the rest. I am not a great believer in global warming, climate change has happened
for billions of years and will forever. I am not opposed to seeking new innovative ways
to harness energy. Sometimes investing in someone Else's technology is good for
all. We should be informed on details but not quick to shoot down any and all ideas.
If someone is ahead in a field and partnerships will open new doors why not?
I ask that in the sense are we having a discussion or should I be preparing for another
anti Obama thread
I don't think there is much disagreement on Global warming anymore, it's been pretty well accepted that there is Global warming. The only issue that remains is, is the Global warming man made.

I think according to the Greenies it's man made. I'm not sure how man is supposed to control things like volcanic eruptions.

But in any case, it's the White guys fault and the person to blame is Bush!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How very German of you. How dare they want more than one mean a day now that some of them have jobs. (hallmark of being part of the failed British Empire) Strip the 1% of their hoarded wealth and a lot of issues like hunger and jobs would magically disappear, the citizens of the West are the only ones on the globe who are ignorant of that fact. (and I get to meet some of their biggest fans, life is good)

Strip the 1% of their wealth won't do much for curing hunger but it will definitely make the jobs disappear.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm pretty sure the 99% would still remember how to buy food. Who creates more jobs 396M people or 4M? (just in food services) You cannot keep 396M people busy catering to the wants and needs of 4M. (and then blame them when it fails, lol in a very sad, sad way.
If fracking doesn't allow the taps to be turned off then NG should just about be as close to free energy as we need to get this century as it will last at least that long. 22/1 compression on highway tractor engines.

Which is the better solution for somebody that had a decent memory at one time and then 'things changed' so forgetfulness was a way of life. Which is the better solution for a person who has that happen, a.) accept it and be prepared for a life of fluttering between the here and now and some memory that comes floating through. In some cases like a conversation you can almost time the delay to loss of you train of thought and when it returns. If it returns that means it is at least finding an alternate route. Since the shortest distance between two points is a straight line it might be possible to shorten the delay time. The same person is going to have that same condition throughout the day. When the memory returns it is at an 'in-convenient' time so it is not acted on and it is put in the 'to do' list. Making any list when you have memory issues is a total waste of time for a variety of reasons that always ends up with the list not being where it should be when it is needed. Making all that time as being 'wasted time'. Fuk the list, go do it and make errors through memory lapses and as soon as a memory comes back of what you 'forgot' stop what you are doing and make whatever it takes to repair the poor memory issue. The bigger the imposition it is the better as it will be a 'reminder' that forgetting things ends up costing you a lot more. The more liisues that are taken off the 'list' means less things can come into your here and now as a memory as something you forgot to do . Other forms of memory are a different ride in the amusement park called life.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm pretty sure the 99% would still remember how to buy food. Who creates more jobs 396M people or 4M? (just in food services) You cannot keep 396M people busy catering to the wants and needs of 4M.
If fracking doesn't allow the taps to be turned off then NG should just about be as close to free energy as we need to get thgis century as it will last at least that long. 22/1 compression on highway tractor engines

What do you think the 99% will use for money to buy food when the 1% close all the industry down due to lack of interest?