NEWSFLASH: Action on climate change still at very bottom of world’s priority heap

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In June of last year, I had stumbled across a United Nations Development Program (UNDP) survey which took note of the fact that:
There’s been something really important missing in the way we at the United Nations and at the global level have been deliberating and deciding on issues over the last decade, and that something has been you — people all over the world,” he told correspondents, adding that the era of making decisions about global issues behind closed doors with little citizen involvement was coming to an end. [emphasis added -hro]
YMMV, but it seems to me that this admirable “end” has not yet been reached within the ever-expanding maze of the United Nations.

Least of all by those responsible for the production of the so-called “gold standard” Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)’s Assessment Reports. Or, for that matter, by the head honchos of the IPCC’s “parents” i.e. the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP)’s Achim Steiner or the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)’s Michel Jarraud.

Notwithstanding the best efforts of Steiner and Jarraud (and their respective voices of doom and gloom), when I last looked at this UNDP survey, in May of this year, “action on climate change” was still at the bottom of the world’s priority heap.

As you may (or may not) know, in Lima, Peru there is yet another annual gathering of the great and the good (aka COP-20) which began on Dec. 1, to the oh-so-inspiring exhortations of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)’s head honcho, Christiana (aka “tinkerbell“) Figueres, who:
encouraged delegates to draw inspiration from these ancient and indelible mythological symbols to “carve crucial lines of action” towards, inter alia: drafting a new universal agreement; achieving progress on adaptation; and strengthening the financial capacity of the most vulnerable.
During the opening ceremonies …
Minister of Environment of Peru Manuel Pulgar-Vidal was elected as the COP 20/CMP 10 President by acclamation. Pulgar-Vidal said COP 20 should increase trust, create space for dialogue between state and non-state actors, and lay ground work for a new climate agreement through a draft text balancing climate action and sustainable development. [emphasis added -hro]
Wow! Just look at that linkage, folks: “climate action” could not get much closer to “sustainable development”, if it tried! Have you ever seen two such meaningless phrases in such close proximity?! Amazing, eh?!

For some reason, when I read the above report from the IISD, I thought I’d take a look at the current results of the UNDP survey. And here’s what I found:

Global results as of Dec. 3, 2014

more

https://hro001.wordpress.com/2014/1...still-at-very-bottom-of-worlds-priority-heap/

MYWorld2015 Analytics

so that little UN troll ban kee moon-fry can bemoan about Stephen Harper and Canada all he wants.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Good that you supplied a graph. Now waldo will believe it.

oh my! Are you lookin' for a lil' waldo luvin? You've been on a tear for a dozen+ posts... you bitch about any graph I present within a post! As is your drive-by nature, you never actually speak to the content of any post, you simply bark out a numnuts reference to there being a post with a graph... yet another post with a graph... yet another graph!!! Oh me, oh my... poor taxi can't deal with graph presentations! :mrgreen: What a maroon, what a rube! I thought you would have learned your lesson when this (as below), most recent prior drive-by of yours blew up on ya... blew up on ya good, blew up on ya real good!
Oh look waldo has yet another meaningless graph for us.
hey genius! ... please explain why that graph created by the Alberta Government is, as you say, "meaningless"?
keep up your most insightful contributions taxi! Like this latest post of yours I've quoted. You haven't a damn thing to say about the actual OP... of course not, that would mean you'd actually have to read it, digest it, think about it, do some analysis, etc.! Why would you ever do that when you can simply drive-by, showcase your fear/uneasiness with graphs, and feel complete with your heady contribution!

For some reason, when I read the above report from the IISD, I thought I’d take a look at the current results of the UNDP survey. And here’s what I found:

more

https://hro001.wordpress.com/2014/1...still-at-very-bottom-of-worlds-priority-heap/

MYWorld2015 Analytics

good on ya Locutus! Most of you Conbot types have absolutely no use for the UN... and decry its very existence! And then you come along touting that UN MyWorld initiative and you just mess with my ole stereotyping. But, uhhh... did you really take it for a spin! You sure seem to put a lot of weight in "citizen action"... online at that! And that 6.6 million voter submission number... that's huuuge for a global initiative... uhhh, isn't it?

asking people to vote for the changes that would make the most difference to their world... and those wyly UN types presume to use the MyWorld votes... "so world leaders can be informed as they begin the process of defining the next set of global goals to end poverty.". Geezaz! I sure hope that little nugget didn't sway how anyone chose their priorities. But hey now Locutus! There sure seems to be a real difference in how the assorted 'Human Development Index (HDI) ' country categorization groupings voted... and that distribution of votes across the categorizations says something, right?... and that voter self-described education level seem to affect voting results too. Why so, I wonder, hey? Are there different priorities that people hold depending on how developed their countries are, and how educated they are themselves?

out of that total 6.6 million vote count:
- ~ 70% of that vote count associates to people of Low Human Development Index and Medium Human Development Index countries (countries 103 to 187 of the HDI categorization groupings).. but hey now, that HDI is yet another UN initiative! That's 70% of votes separate from the top 102 HDI countries in the world (High and Very High Human Development Indexes). Is that skewing the vote at all? Then again:
- of that remaining ~30% of votes to High and Very High HDI countries:
- ~4% (~264,000) of that total 6.6 million people that voted associates to the top 50 countries that group within the Very High Human Development Index grouping and

- ~26% of that total 6.6 million people that voted associates to countries 51 through 102 of the High Human Development Index.
so that little UN troll ban kee moon-fry can bemoan about Stephen Harper and Canada all he wants.

I don't think "ban kee moon-fry" needs to worry too much over your "in-depth analysis' on the MyWorld initiative vote prioritization - yes?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I think that lists wraps up the discussion on this non crisis nicely. Since no progress with the grand climate regulation scheme can take place without the first fourteen projects being addressed. I suggest the futility involved is self evident. It's not ever going to happen, even if it could happen. I notice fixing the climates of the other seven planets in our system is left entirely out of the picture. Common sence is not at work here when we see the back end of the problem being addressed with a proposed terrestrial patch while the root cause of a broken sun is not even mentioned.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
I think that lists wraps up the discussion on this non crisis nicely. Since no progress with the grand climate regulation scheme can take place without the first fourteen projects being addressed. I suggest the futility involved is self evident. It's not ever going to happen, even if it could happen. I notice fixing the climates of the other seven planets in our system is left entirely out of the picture. Common sence is not at work here when we see the back end of the problem being addressed with a proposed terrestrial patch while the root cause of a broken sun is not even mentioned.

yabut beav! Why would you put any credence in a vote skewed so heavily with ~70% of votes from the world's least developed countries? Are there different priorities that people hold depending on how developed their countries are, and how educated they are themselves? Notwithstanding that vote total represents ~ 0.1% of the world's total population. You should have just dismissed it all... maybe instead show your intellectual prowess/relevance by throwing down some 'Al Gore' image! :mrgreen:

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
#8 in Canada :canada:

:mrgreen: oh my... youse guys sure are looking for validation of your denial! Aren't you? Leveraging all those least developed country votes too!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
These predictions sound familiar?
Predictions (by date of publication) include:

• 1877: Christ's kingdom would hold full sway over the earth in 1914; the Jews, as a people, would be restored to God's favor; the "saints" would be carried to heaven.[28]
  • 1891: 1914 would be "the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men."[29]
  • 1904: "World-wide anarchy" would follow the end of the Gentile Times in 1914.[30]
  • 1916: World War I would terminate in Armageddon and the rapture of the "saints".[31]
  • 1917: In 1918, Christendom would go down as a system to oblivion and be succeeded by revolutionary governments. God would "destroy the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions." Church members would "perish by the sword of war, revolution and anarchy." The dead would lie unburied. In 1920 all earthly governments would disappear, with worldwide anarchy prevailing.[32]
  • 1920: Messiah's kingdom would be established in 1925 and bring worldwide peace. God would begin restoring the earth. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and other faithful patriarchs would be resurrected to perfect human life and be made princes and rulers, the visible representatives of the New Order on earth. Those who showed themselves obedient to God would never die.[33]
  • 1922: The anti-typical "jubilee" that would mark God's intervention in earthly affairs would take place "probably the fall" of 1925.[34]
  • 1924: God's restoration of Earth would begin "shortly after" October 1, 1925. Jerusalem would be made the world's capital. Resurrected "princes" such as Abel, Noah, Moses and John the Baptist would give instructions to their subjects around the world by radio, and airplanes would transport people to and from Jerusalem from all parts of the globe in just "a few hours".[35]
  • 1938: Armageddon was too close for marriage or child bearing.[36]
  • 1941: There were only "months" remaining until Armageddon.[37]
  • 1942: Armageddon was "immediately before us."[38]
  • 1961: Awake! magazine stated that the heavenly kingdom "will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness."[39]
  • 1966: It would be 6000 years since man's creation in the fall of 1975 and it would be "appropriate" for Christ's thousand-year reign to begin at that time.[40] Time was "running out, no question about that."[41] The "immediate future" was "certain to be filled with climactic events ... within a few years at most", the final parts of Bible prophecy relating to the "last days" would undergo fulfillment as Christ's reign began.
  • 1967: The end-time period (beginning in 1914) was claimed to be so far advanced that the time remaining could "be compared, not just to the last day of a week, but rather, to the last part of that day".[42]
  • 1968: No one could say "with certainty" that the battle of Armageddon would begin in 1975, but time was "running out rapidly" with "earthshaking events" soon to take place.[43] In March 1968 there was a "short period of time left", with "only about ninety months left before 6000 years of man's existence on earth is completed".[44]
  • 1969: The existing world order would not last long enough for young people to grow old; the world system would end "in a few years." Young Witnesses were told not to bother pursuing tertiary education for this reason.[45]
  • 1971: The "battle in the day of Jehovah" was described as beginning "hortly, within our twentieth century".[46]
    [*]1974: There was just a "short time remaining before the wicked world's end" and Witnesses were commended for selling their homes and property to "finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service."[47]
    [*]1984: There were "many indications" that "the end" was closer than the end of the 20th century.[48]
    [*]1989: The Watchtower asserted that Christian missionary work begun in the first century would "be completed in our 20th century".[49] When republished in bound volumes, the phrase "in our 20th century" was replaced with the less specific "in our day".

Criticism of Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same thing.......different religion..........

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
a denier seeking validation through Jehovah! Oh my! :mrgreen:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They needed 12 to make a coven but that Ford Fairmont was beyond resurrection anyway so it didn't matter that the ritual was useless.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They needed 12 to make a coven but that Ford Fairmont was beyond resurrection anyway so it didn't matter that the ritual was useless.

That looks like it might be in the desert, so they may have needed 13. You know, for a baker's coven. :D