Hong Kong police use pepper spray to disperse pro-democracy protesters

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hong Kong police use pepper spray to disperse pro-democracy protesters

Hong Kong police have used pepper spray and arrested 80 people as they moved to clear a street blocked by pro-democracy demonstrators for nearly two months.

Officers in helmets, with some carrying batons, faced dozens of protesters on Tuesday at the site in Mong Kok district, the scene of some of the most violent clashes since the sit-ins began at three separate intersections in the city on 28 September.

A police spokeswoman said officers used a “pepper-based solution” similar to the pepper spray used by officers at times in recent weeks.

A demonstrator named Mok told AFP: “I couldn’t open my eyes. I was wearing long sleeves but my arms are hurting.”

Officers told protesters over loudspeakers: “You are already participating in an illegal assembly, right now the police order you all to immediately disperse.” They then fired the liquid at them from raised metal platforms.

Demonstrators, who are protesting against China’s restrictions on who will be allowed to stand in the city’s 2017 leadership elections, donned goggles or raised umbrellas to protect themselves.

Hong Kong police use pepper spray to disperse pro-democracy protesters | World news | The Guardian

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain should have held onto to the bits of Hong Kong it was entitled to keep for eternity rather than handing them back to the Chinks in 1997, thus ending the great British Empire.

Britain only gave back those bits of Hong Kong it was not obliged to hand back to China only on condition that the Chinese allow free and fair elections in Hong Kong. The Chinese have broken their promise.

It'll not be long before the Chinky-Brits of Hong Kong are demanding a return back to Mother Britain's bosom, just as the Jamaicans are. It's just another example of countries being better off under the British Empire.

By the way, "Hong Kong" is Chinese for "Fragrant Harbour". But the only fragrance the Hong Kongers are currently receiving is that of pepper spray.

Last edited: