Religious extremism main cause of terrorism, according to report

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Religious extremism has become the main driver of terrorism in recent years, according to this year’s Global Terrorism Index.

The report recorded 18,000 deaths in 2013, a rise of 60% on the previous year. The majority (66%) of these were attributable to just four groups: Islamic State (Isis) in Iraq and Syria, Boko Haram in Nigeria, the Taliban in Afghanistan and al-Qaida.

Overall there has been a fivefold increase in deaths from terrorism since the 9/11 suicide attacks.

The report’s authors attribute the majority of incidents over the past few years to groups with a religious agenda.

While the chart below shows that this varies across region, bear in mind that more than 80% of deaths from terrorism in 2013 occurred in just five countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria.

Before 2000, it was nationalist separatist terrorist organisations such as the IRA and Chechen rebels who were behind the most attacks. The number of incidents from nationalist separatist groups has remained relatively stable in the years since while religious extremism has grown.

The prevalence of Islamist groups in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria is the main driver behind these trends.

Just 5% of terrorist fatalities occur in OECD countries. The UK had the largest number of incidents with 131, while Turkey had the most fatalities (57).

The Global Terrorism Index gives a score to each country dependent on how affected they are by terrorism. The results in full are mapped below.

Religious extremism main cause of terrorism, according to report | News | The Guardian

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Religious extremism has become the main driver of terrorism in recent years, according to this year’s Global Terrorism Index.

The report recorded 18,000 deaths in 2013, a rise of 60% on the previous year. The majority (66%) of these were attributable to just four groups: Islamic State (Isis) in Iraq and Syria, Boko Haram in Nigeria, the Taliban in Afghanistan and al-Qaida.

Overall there has been a fivefold increase in deaths from terrorism since the 9/11 suicide attacks.

The report’s authors attribute the majority of incidents over the past few years to groups with a religious agenda.

While the chart below shows that this varies across region, bear in mind that more than 80% of deaths from terrorism in 2013 occurred in just five countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria.

Before 2000, it was nationalist separatist terrorist organisations such as the IRA and Chechen rebels who were behind the most attacks. The number of incidents from nationalist separatist groups has remained relatively stable in the years since while religious extremism has grown.

The prevalence of Islamist groups in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria is the main driver behind these trends.

Just 5% of terrorist fatalities occur in OECD countries. The UK had the largest number of incidents with 131, while Turkey had the most fatalities (57).

The Global Terrorism Index gives a score to each country dependent on how affected they are by terrorism. The results in full are mapped below.

Religious extremism main cause of terrorism, according to report | News | The Guardian

"Religious extremism main cause of terrorism, according to report"

Utter nonsense ! The main source of terrorism is what has always been the powerful and the rich and their national cloaks.

The report leaves off almost entirely unsanctioned undeclared military and economic acts of terrorism and in that case is a worthless piece of terroristic rubbish in and of itself. I'm deeply distraught and frustrated that such an unabashed piece of meat wrapping should be offered the assembled members. It's nothing but an insult and i demand satisfaction, or a cash reward for its exposure.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Slightly misleading headline.......

Considering
"The report recorded 18,000 deaths in 2013, a rise of 60% on the previous year. The majority (66%) of these were attributable to just four groups: Islamic State (Isis) in Iraq and Syria, Boko Haram in Nigeria, the Taliban in Afghanistan and al-Qaida.

Overall there has been a fivefold increase in deaths from terrorism since the 9/11 suicide attacks."

THE "RELIGION OF PEACE" MAIN CAUSE OF TERRORISM would be closer to the truth.

Slowly, slowly the non-Islamic world begins to wake up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Funny how we associate peace with disarming the hostile groups. In our world today
we arm all the groups with planes and guns and ask them to behave. When they don't
we're surprised for some reason.
As yourself how many violent Methodists are there?
As yourself how many violent Muslim Groups are there?
to go one step further go into any assembled church and listen to advocacy for violence
preached from the pulpit. Its almost a trade mark in the Mosques in the Middle East and
in a few cases here.
At present the spotlight does not shine on the these activities because the violence against
innocent people is carried out against Israelis and innocent Muslim Citizens in their own
countries. Wait till it visits our shore on a more frequent basis and we'll ask just how peaceful
are they? And throughout history religion and trade are the two leader killers of mankind.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No, it's not misleading at all.

It's religious extremists.

Really?

You perhaps failed to notice that the majority of terror attacks on the planet are done by four groups, all of which are followers of Islam?

List of terrorist incidents, January–June 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of terrorist incidents, July–December 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go ahead.

Find me a terrorist attack due to religious extremism OTHER than Islamic.

I didn't look all the way through. but I'll make you a wager.......

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Really?

You perhaps failed to notice that the majority of terror attacks on the planet are done by four groups, all of which are followers of Islam?

List of terrorist incidents, January–June 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of terrorist incidents, July–December 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go ahead.

Find me a terrorist attack due to religious extremism OTHER than Islamic.

I didn't look all the way through. but I'll make you a wager.......

Colpee, yer whole entire position in this matter rests on an as yet unsettled definition of terrorism. As much as it would be fun to revisit our past entertainments concerning this subject we should attend our advanced ages and step lightly. The definition of terrorism is being decided naturally, right now. You should wait for that outcome before you advance another feeble argument. Your heart man think about your heart, you've already had five heart surgeries and I helped pay for them, I need a shoulder a knee a little hip work, I figure yer in the way, I don't think I'll pay taxes this year, maybe you'll be asked to wait till next year. You've been living in SJs toxic fog all your life.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Perhaps you would care to explain what that is supposed to mean?

If it means the KKK are religious extremists, then you do not know what you are talking about.

If you are insinuating that I am a sympathizer of any such group, then you do not know what you are talking about.

Sorry for shaking up your My Little Pony world.

Sooner or later you need to grow up and face facts.......you know, like the ones I presented to you that you so thoroughly failed to comprehend.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No, it should be extremism from all religions.

They may not be as prevalent as Islamic extremism, but that doesn't mean you can stick your head in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
colpee, yer whole entire position in this matter rests on an as yet unsettled definition of terrorism. As much as it would be fun to revisit our past entertainments concerning this subject we should attend our advanced ages and step lightly. The definition of terrorism is being decided naturally, right now. You should wait for that outcome before you advance another feeble argument. Your heart man think about your heart, you've already had five heart surgeries and i helped pay for them, i need a shoulder a knee a little hip work, i figure yer in the way, i don't think i'll pay taxes this year, maybe you'll be asked to wait till next year. You've been living in sjs toxic fog all your life.
rotflmao!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Title should read Muslim extremism.
Correct me if I'm wrong here Walter but in 1948 it was Jewish extremism that removed almost 1M Arabs from their legal homes. Perhaps you need to look inside once Walter, you might actually be the problem and not the solution.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No, it should be extremism from all religions.

They may not be as prevalent as Islamic extremism, but that doesn't mean you can stick your head in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

FIND ME ONE ON THE LIST I GAVE YOU.

Terror attacks by religious extremists other than Muslims are not "less prevalent" they are practically NON-EXISTENT.

I guess I understand your support for Trudeau now.

By your logic, smoking is not a lethal habit causing tens of thousands of deaths per year in Canada, because there are other causes of lung cancer.

It is nonsense.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
FIND ME ONE ON THE LIST I GAVE YOU.

That old chrome dome would make you German wouldn't it. They certainly aren't know to be extreme about anything. Cept these Germans, the Canadians better hurry or all the best jobs will be taken before they get there. Ever wonder about sending all our radicals over there and then complaining that there are too many radicals over there so we better bomb them as being in the 'not too bright' dept?

Berlin Says 550 Germans Joined Jihadist Cause in Syria, Iraq — Naharnet
"We estimate 550. Just a few days ago we had 450," the minister told German television channel Phoenix on Friday.
"These young people... were radicalised in Germany, within this society. That's why prevention must be accompanied by repression," he added.
Most of those who have joined the Islamic State organisation's jihadist cause are men, although some women have also travelled to the two war-torn countries.
De Maiziere said authorities are keeping a close watch on some 230 more people who are considered potential threats on German soil.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,