Putin says he’s afraid Ukraine will drift ‘toward neo-Nazism’ and ethnic cleansing

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Like a boss.

Putin says he’s afraid Ukraine will drift ‘toward neo-Nazism’ and ethnic cleansing

MOSCOW — Russia’s president said he believes peace in Ukraine is possible but that neither side is fully holding up a truce struck in September.

In an interview with German television broadcast late Sunday, Putin said he was convinced that it was possible to end the deadlock in east Ukraine, where pro-Russian rebels have been battling Kyiv’s troops in a conflict that has claimed at least 4,000 lives since March.

But the Russian leader also noted that neither the rebels nor Ukrainian troops have fully withdrawn from key locations in the region in order to create a buffer zone, a key part of a truce deal agreed to in September.

“It is true that there are certain settlements that the armed rebel formations should abandon, and they are not being abandoned,” he said. But he blamed the Ukrainians for not holding up their end of the agreement and setting a bad example for the rebels to follow.

Since Ukraine’s pro-Russian president was ousted from power last February, Moscow has often referred to the new, Western-leaning government as a “junta” brought to power by an unconstitutional coup. Putin spoke more diplomatically on Sunday, saying he believed Ukraine “is a big European country with a European culture.”

But he also lashed out against far-right nationalist elements in Ukraine and against what Moscow perceives as the repression of Russian-speakers in the region.

“I’ll say this bluntly: we’re very concerned that the desire could arise to use ethnic cleansing. We’re afraid about a drift toward neo-Nazism” in the region, he said.

In response to a question about whether Russia was arming the rebels, as contended by both Kyiv and the West, Putin said merely that “anyone waging a fight that they believe fair will find weapons.”

He stressed that without such arms the rebels would be quickly destroyed by the Ukrainian forces — something Russia “does not want, and will not allow.” While Putin stopped short of acknowledging Russia’s material role in the conflict, his comments went further in emphasizing Moscow’s willingness to support the separatists than ever before.

European security monitors in Ukraine have said they spotted a van crossing from Russia into Ukraine and returning several hours later, apparently carrying the bodies of dead combatants out of the conflict zone.

In the latest indication of Russian involvement in the civil war in eastern Ukraine, monitors from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said they had seen the vehicle on Tuesday.

The van, which crossed the border near the Russian town of Donetsk, was marked with the words “Gruz 200,” meaning “Cargo 200,” a well-known military term for the bodies of men killed in action.

During a speech Monday after the G-20 summit in Australia, German Chancellor Angela Merkel struck a defiant note on sanctions against Russia for its role in Ukraine, saying that those measures would remain in place “as far and long as they are needed.”

Merkel spoke out against a political system dominated by “spheres of influence, which spurn international law,” and warned that regional conflicts like the one raging in east Ukraine “can very quickly broaden to major fires.”

But in Brussels, the European Union’s foreign affairs chief said more sanctions against Russia would not help end the east Ukraine crisis.

Federica Mogherini said at a meeting of EU foreign ministers that there was a need to re-launch a dialogue with Russia, and also said she is seeking more ways to assist Ukraine in implementing economic and institutional reforms.

World leaders at the weekend G-20 summit in Brisbane roundly criticized Putin over Russia’s escalating aggression in Ukraine, but came up with no clear plans how to turn up the diplomatic heat.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Well, that and watching his superpower fall and decline into a minor power.

You bean here for a while now, time to place a bet or move away from the tables. I believe, and with great confidence that in this matter of which super power will crumble first you have picked the looser. Your country sir has been looted almost to the bone by your best friends and allies, the nation cannot win a conventional war, that's a certainty, and your nuclear arsenal should have been updated a decade ago, and the country is so full of carpet bagging dualies that you aint even pushin yer own buttons. The USA is not schedualed to win anyway.
It quite certain that in the nearest you'll be deserted by your friends except us of course who you'll rape to the stumps. Hey it's nothing personal it's just history.

400 Bodies Found in Ukraine Mass Graves Are Evidence of War ...

Global Research 400-bodies-found-in-ukraine-mass-graves-are-evidence-of-war-crime-lav rov/ 5405631
1 Oct 2014 ... Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that more than 400 bodies have been discovered in mass graves near the city of .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Neo-Soviet.

Nazis are lightweights.
True dat. Six million? Big deal. Stalin knocked off 70 million of his own people, to say nothing of the non-Soviets he whacked.

I had a Russian immigrant girlfriend for a while, and kinda got into the Soviet emigre community. It was stunning. Everybody knew somebody who had been killed by Stalin. Not heard of somebody, personally knew somebody.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Okay seriously now.

Just give me something to work with here.

How are Putin's actions facilitating Neo-Nazism?

(again, I am not saying I disagree, just need some evidence or justification for same)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Okay seriously now.

Just give me something to work with here.

How are Putin's actions facilitating Neo-Nazism?

(again, I am not saying I disagree, just need some evidence or justification for same)
If you define neo-Nazism as fascist thugocracy, the answer is obvious.

If you define it as something else, I can't help you until you define it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Britian "Has Been". What's it like BL, living in the moldering ruins of the former center of the universe. I should think it must be quite depressing, knowing you haven't hit the bottom yet.