Noam Chomsky: “The United States created ISIS.”

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

An interview of Professor Noam Chomsky of MIT by David Barsamian. The interview takes us on a general overview of the state of the Middle East, and the role that Turkey has played in it. Covering the origins of ISIS all the way to the Kurdish issues in Turkey, Professor Chomsky gives us a glimpse of the complex politics of the area and his opinion on the future moving forward.

The talk, given at Chomsky’s home campus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, provides a broad primer for those wanting to understand the truth behind current chaos enveloping the region.

Some of the highlights of Chomsky’s talk include the following:

1) ISIS is a creation of western foreign policy: ISIS is a natural outcome of both the U.S. destruction of Iraq (starting in 2003) and the U.S./NATO attempt to bring about regime change in Syria (starting in 2011).

2) Saddam was a close U.S. ally throughout the 1980’s as the U.S. collaborated with Iraq on its chemical weapons program in an attempt to defeat the Iranian regime (1980-1988). Chomsky points out that Saddam was beloved of Bush Sr., and that as late as April 1990 a congressional delegation headed by Bob Dole visited Saddam. Chomsky says the delegation’s spirit was one of fawning over the dictator (Ambassador Joe Wilson wrote that the scene was one of “obsequious boot-licking”).

3) Iraq was non-sectarian prior to the U.S. “sledge hammer” that broke it apart. Iraqis under Ba’ath nationalism often didn’t even know whether their neighbors were Sunni or Shia as they lived in mixed neighborhoods and inter-marriage was frequent.

4) While the Kurds of Iraq have recently been championed by the West, they were formerly victims unworthy of media coverage or western government concern. While the U.S. was supportive of Saddam, it looked the other way while he gassed the Kurds of northern Iraq (the U.S. at the time blamed the Iranians). The U.S. supplied the Turkish government with 80% of its military hardware while it committed genocide against Kurds in Turkey throughout the 1990’s. Once Saddam became “evil villain” in American eyes, the Kurds of Iraq became victims worthy of western concern.

5) Chomsky says the only sovereign military effectively fighting ISIS is the Syrian Arab Army under Assad. Chomsky further notes that Iran is also an effective part of this Syrian anti-ISIS campaign.

6) “Manufacturing Consent” is active and influences the western public’s perceptions on conflict in the region. Most Americans are not exposed to basic facts or even the recent history of the region because the U.S. government/corporate media alliance seeks to manufacture the consent of the people in the direction of whatever current Washington policy goals dictate.

Noam Chomsky: "The United States created ISIS."

Noam Chomsky on ISIS and current Middle East Conflict – Levant Report

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Noam Chomsky is a hypocrite and an idiot.

First of all, it was Obama's abandonment of Iraq that allowed ISIS to thrive there.

Secondly, the US has done little or nothing to cause "regime change" in Syria.

Third, WHAT US "sledgehammer"?? Is this idiot delusional as well?

On number 4 he has a point. I thought that Bush Sr screwed up royally not killing Saddam in 1991. When Bush Jr's boys were entering Baghdad in 2003, I was yelling "Turn left. Damascus is that way" at the TV.....for the amusement of my wife. Then I thought Iraq should be divided up into three parts....Sunni, Shia and Kurd. But no one listens to me.... :(

He also has a point in number 5..........although we are sooner or later going to have to deal with Iran, and NO MORE US arms to anyone except the Kurds.

Number 6 is just BS.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

No they didn't, end I will point out further down where Chomsky admits this.

An interview of Professor Noam Chomsky of MIT by David Barsamian. The interview takes us on a general overview of the state of the Middle East, and the role that Turkey has played in it. Covering the origins of ISIS all the way to the Kurdish issues in Turkey, Professor Chomsky gives us a glimpse of the complex politics of the area and his opinion on the future moving forward.

actually, what the old fart gives, is a simplistic look at a very complex problem with an equally simplistic opinion concerning moving forward.

The talk, given at Chomsky’s home campus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, provides a broad primer for those wanting to understand the truth behind current chaos enveloping the region.

Translation of the above: Provides a broad(simplistic) primer for those too damn lazy to figure things out for themselves with a far left skew.

1) ISIS is a creation of western foreign policy: ISIS is a natural outcome of both the U.S. destruction of Iraq (starting in 2003) and the U.S./NATO attempt to bring about regime change in Syria (starting in 2011).

Notice how Mr. Chomsky is now saying that ISIS is a "natural outcome" of western foreign policy in the region. This does NOT translate out to the U.S. "creating" them.

2) Saddam was a close U.S. ally throughout the 1980’s as the U.S. collaborated with Iraq on its chemical weapons program in an attempt to defeat the Iranian regime (1980-1988). Chomsky points out that Saddam was beloved of Bush Sr., and that as late as April 1990 a congressional delegation headed by Bob Dole visited Saddam. Chomsky says the delegation’s spirit was one of fawning over the dictator (Ambassador Joe Wilson wrote that the scene was one of “obsequious boot-licking”).

So, Saddam was a bad guy that we should have not helped.

3) Iraq was non-sectarian prior to the U.S. “sledge hammer” that broke it apart. Iraqis under Ba’ath nationalism often didn’t even know whether their neighbors were Sunni or Shia as they lived in mixed neighborhoods and inter-marriage was frequent.

So Saddam was a good guy and we should have offered more help? Geez Chomsky, make up your mind. You'll have your followers blowing a gasket not knowing which way to lean.

4) While the Kurds of Iraq have recently been championed by the West, they were formerly victims unworthy of media coverage or western government concern. While the U.S. was supportive of Saddam, it looked the other way while he gassed the Kurds of northern Iraq (the U.S. at the time blamed the Iranians). The U.S. supplied the Turkish government with 80% of its military hardware while it committed genocide against Kurds in Turkey throughout the 1990’s. Once Saddam became “evil villain” in American eyes, the Kurds of Iraq became victims worthy of western concern.

So, what was he, an evil villain or a good guy?

5) Chomsky says the only sovereign military effectively fighting ISIS is the Syrian Arab Army under Assad. Chomsky further notes that Iran is also an effective part of this Syrian anti-ISIS campaign.

ok, so.....what? We should send more help to Syria and Iran to combat these wingnuts?

6) “Manufacturing Consent” is active and influences the western public’s perceptions on conflict in the region. Most Americans are not exposed to basic facts or even the recent history of the region because the U.S. government/corporate media alliance seeks to manufacture the consent of the people in the direction of whatever current Washington policy goals dictate.

Ahhhhhh.... there we are, was wondering when I would see it. It's all about the big bad corporations.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When Gh takes a great big swipe at an anti war goof like Chomsky, you know Chomsky is a complete waste of skin, lol.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I think despite the nitpicking here, his main point has been preserved and the evidence for it is pretty obvious.

The focal point is that conflicts have a tendency to linger when we try to resolve them with brute force.

I mean, even a child knows this.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
First of all, it was Obama's abandonment of Iraq that allowed ISIS to thrive there.

Pulling out was one of the big things he was elected to do. Also, they seemed to start and really get going in Syria long before Iraq.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think despite the nitpicking here, his main point has been preserved and the evidence for it is pretty obvious.

If he had a main point, unfortunately, he does not. He is all over the board and contradicts himself constantly.

The focal point is that conflicts have a tendency to linger when we try to resolve them with brute force.

No, that wasn't his "focal point", he didn't have one.

Then maybe they should have been asking a child rather than Chomsky

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Pulling out was one of the big things he was elected to do. Also, they seemed to start and really get going in Syria long before Iraq.

Right.

That is what he was elected to do because I believe the general sentiment at that time was

THIS IS SO ****ING STUPID

Now history is being rewritten by right wingers who want to make it sound like people were begging the despotic Obama but he just wouldn't listen.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
On number 4 he has a point. I thought that Bush Sr screwed up royally not killing Saddam in 1991.
Indeed. Probably would have saved a lot of time, money and lives on both sides had they taken care of it then.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Chumpski fails to inform who created the United States. ISIS is a creation of another creation created by a third creation created by the wealth creators. Of course Chomps is himself a creation, serving the noble purpose.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The French?

I suppose it could be. Since I don't know who created what or when and I suspect very few do know, why not the French.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I suppose it could be. Since I don't know who created what or when and I suspect very few do know, why not the French.
Well, I bring up the French because you can credit them with the creation of the US, along with the fathers and England herself.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

"........conflicts have a tendency to linger" WHEN YOU DON"T FINISH THEM.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"........conflicts have a tendency to linger" WHEN YOU DON"T FINISH THEM.
Welcome to modern warfare, hearts and minds, tears and body bags, TV ratings and slanted coverage.

They don't fight them like they used to.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well, I bring up the French because you can credit them with the creation of the US, along with the fathers and England herself.

Yes, that is the popular history, easily discounted by some alternative reading. You're a bit of a romantic aren't you?

Welcome to modern warfare, hearts and minds, tears and body bags, TV ratings and slanted coverage.

They don't fight them like they used to.

They fight them exactly like they used to. The art of war ain't new.