Northern Ireland firebrand Ian Paisley has died aged 88

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Whilst the despicable SNP are trying to wrench Scotland from the greatest political union in the history of the world, a great Unionist has, rather ironically, today passed away.

The former Protestant preacher and leader of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP, a party which campaigns for Northern Ireland to remain within the United Kingdom), the Reverend Ian Paisley, has died at the age of 88.

Reverend Paisley was renowned as a symbol of hard-line Unionism, but later in life was crucial in forging the Northern Ireland peace process and bringing an end to conflict in the province.

In a tribute to Paisley's status as an unlikely leader of unification and reconciliation, his death was mourned by his former enemies, Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness (the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland) as well as Sinn Fein's president Gerry Adams, who said he was 'shocked and saddened' by the news.

Others described him as a 'big man with a big heart', who despite his abrasive character and fiercely held views, will be remembered as a key figure in bringing peace.

Reverend Paisley's death, after a long period of illness, was announced today by his wife Eileen.

The former First Minister, known as Lord Bannside after joining the House of Lords in 2010, was leader of the Democratic Unionist Party from 1971 until 2008.

He served as First Minister of Northern Ireland, with his former rival Martin McGuinness as his deputy, from 2007 to 2008, and was MP for North Antrim for 40 years.

'My beloved husband, Ian, entered his eternal rest this morning,' Mrs Paisley said in a statement. 'Although ours is the grand hope of reunion, naturally as a family we are heartbroken.

Paisley was a fierce critic of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement which led to the formation of the first power-sharing administration at Stormont since 1974.

But in the aftermath of the signing of another political arrangement which became known as the St Andrews Agreement of 2006, he underwent an astonishing political transformation which culminated with him going into power with Sinn Fein a year later.

It was a deal which would have been unimaginable at the height of the IRA terrorist campaign, but this was a much different Ian Paisley from the firebrand preacher who spent decades on the margins of political power, damning the Catholic Church, and who was once thrown out of the European Parliament for denouncing Pope John Paul II as the anti-Christ.

Today, Reverend Paisley's former party, the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) is the fourth-largest party inside the UK House of Commons, after the Tories, Labour and Liberal Democrats.

'I have lost a friend': Martin McGuinness pays tribute to former enemy Ian Paisley as Northern Ireland's firebrand preacher-politician dies aged 88

The Reverend Dr Ian Paisley died this morning after a long illness
He was leader of the DUP for 37 years and First Minister from 2007 to 2008
A hard-line Unionist who but became a symbol of reconciliation in later life
Former rival Martin McGuinness said 'I have lost a friend' while Gerry Adams declared himself 'shocked and saddened'
He went from 'militant to peacemaker', says Tony Blair

By Hugo Gye for MailOnline
12 September 2014
Daily Mail

Ian Paisley died this morning aged 88 - and the tributes were led by Martin McGuinness, once a fierce enemy of the firebrand preacher, who declared today: 'I have lost a friend.'

The former First Minister of Northern Ireland was renowned as a symbol of hard-line Unionism, but later in life was crucial in forging the peace process and bringing an end to conflict in the province.

In a tribute to Paisley's status as an unlikely leader of unification and reconciliation, his death was mourned by Mr McGuinness as well as Sinn Fein's president Gerry Adams, who said he was 'shocked and saddened' by the news.

Others described him as a 'big man with a big heart', who despite his abrasive character and fiercely held views will be remembered as a key figure in bringing peace.

Leader: The Reverend Dr Ian Paisley has died at the age of 88

Paisley's death, after a long period of illness, was announced today by his wife Eileen.

The former First Minister, known as Lord Bannside after joining the House of Lords in 2010, was leader of the Democratic Unionist Party from 1971 until 2008.

He served as First Minister, with his former rival Martin McGuinness as his deputy, from 2007 to 2008, and was MP for North Antrim for 40 years.

'My beloved husband, Ian, entered his eternal rest this morning,' Mrs Paisley said in a statement. 'Although ours is the grand hope of reunion, naturally as a family we are heartbroken.

'We loved him and he adored us, and our earthly lives are forever changed.'

She added that her husband's funeral would be held in private, but that a public memorial service to commemorate his life would take place later this year.

Reconciled: Paisley served as First Minister of Northern Ireland between 2007 and 2008 with his former enemy, Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness, (right) as his deputy

Tribute: Mr McGuinness described his former fierce rival as a 'friend' in a statement on Twitter

'According to Ian's wishes his funeral will be private and attended only by the immediate family, as will be his burial,' she said.

'As a family we appreciate that there will be an expectation by those who admired him to express their gratitude for his life and their sorrow at his passing.

'To that end we will in due course publish details of a public memorial service which, will be scheduled later in the year.'

Mr McGuinness expressed his sadness at Paisley's death, taking to Twitter to say: 'Once political opponents - I have lost a friend.'

In a statement, the Deputy First Minister added: 'Over a number of decades we were political opponents and held very different views on many, many issues but the one thing we were absolutely united on was the principle that our people were better able to govern themselves than any British government.

'I want to pay tribute to and comment on the work he did in the latter days of his political life in building agreement and leading unionism into a new accommodation with republicans and nationalists.

'In the brief period that we worked together in the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister I developed a close working relationship with him which developed into a friendship, which despite our many differences lasted beyond his term in office.

'I want to send my sincere sympathy to his wife, Eileen, his children and extended family.'

The pair were for decades leaders of opposing sides in the Northern Irish debate, with Paisley the standard bearer for Protestant Unionists and Mr McGuinness a commander in the IRA - but the pair grew so close in office that they were known as the 'Chuckle Brothers'.

Gerry Adams, another leading figure in the Republican movement who is now the president of Sinn Fein, said today: 'I am shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Dr Ian Paisley.

'There will be plenty of time for political analysis but at this point I wish to extend my deepest sympathies to Ian’s wife Eileen and to the Paisley family at this very sad time.'

Celebration: The DUP leader was committed to the United Kingdom - but often scathing of its political leaders

Paisley was one of the most extraordinary and divisive figures in the history of Northern Ireland.

Once a fierce critic of power-sharing with Republicans, he is best-known for his fighting spirit during the Troubles - in particular his 'no surrender' catchphrase.

However, over the years, the hardline unionist softened his attitude and ended up sharing office with his long-time enemy, Mr McGuinness, in August 2007.

Paisley stood down as first minister in 2008. He was replaced by his DUP deputy leader, Peter Robinson.

The current First Minister told BBC Radio 4's World at One: 'He was a colossus in unionism and made such a massive contribution, particularly to the process in which we are presently involved.'

Tony Blair, who helped to persuade Paisley to sign up to a power-sharing deal with Sinn Fein in 2007, said that the preacher had gone from 'militant' to 'peacemaker'.

He said: 'Ian was a man of deep convictions. The convictions never changed. But his appreciation of the possibilities of peace, gradually and with much soul searching, did. He began as the militant. He ended as the peace-maker.

'He could be an uncompromising even intransigent opponent. But he was also someone who loved Northern Ireland and its people. He led them but he also followed them. When they said to him peace was thinkable, he made it possible.

'His religious beliefs were profound and genuine. He talked to me often about the need for forgiveness and I am sure part of what made him finally take the road to peace, was his capacity, driven by his Christian belief, to contemplate and then work for reconciliation.

'I don't suppose 40 years ago he would ever have thought that politically his life then would end as it does now. But I know he and Eileen would be very proud of his huge contribution to a peaceful future for Northern Ireland.'

Devoted: Paisley was married to his wife Eileen for nearly 58 years

Demonstration: Paisley outside Buckingham Palace in his days as leader of the hardline Unionists

Bertie Ahern, who worked with Paisley while serving as Taoiseach of Ireland, said that he had grown to appreciate the DUP leader's qualities.

'Ian was a big man,' he said. 'He had a big heart. In my younger days I found him a very difficult character but we ended up very good friends. He was a valuable character in the peace process.'

He also paid tribute to the way Paisley never wavered from his dedication to the peace process even after being rejected by many of his Unionist allies.

'I grew to admire him,' Mr Ahern said. 'The more I got to know him, the more I grew to like him.'

Former Northern Ireland secretary Peter Hain said: 'Ian Paisley was the Big Man of Northern Ireland politics.

The historic 2007 peace settlement bringing bitter lifetime enemies to govern jointly could never have happened without him.'

Ireland's current Taoiseach Enda Kenny predicted that Paisley would be remembered as a peacemaker rather than a firebrand.

'In time, history will come to a fuller judgment of his long career,' he said. 'And, while he was of course a divisive figure, his greatest legacy will be one of peace.'

John Hume, who as leader of the nationalist SDLP and often clashed with Paisley, said his death 'marks the end of an era'.

He added: 'I knew Ian Paisley well throughout our many years in politics and we enjoyed a close working relationship in the European Parliament,' said Mr Hume.

'During this time Mr Paisley was a larger than life character in Irish politics and a dominant voice within unionism.

'While he was not always constructive, and often politically challenging, he could, on a personal level, be very charming.

'History will record his political career as a journey - one which took him from the politics of division to a place where he accepted agreement as a solution, the need for power-sharing, and respect for diversity. But history will also ask if he should have reached this point sooner.'

Paisley was a fierce critic of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement which led to the formation of the first power-sharing administration at Stormont since 1974.

But in the aftermath of the signing of another political arrangement which became known as the St Andrews Agreement of 2006, he underwent an astonishing political transformation which culminated with him going into power with Sinn Fein a year later.

It was a deal which would have been unimaginable at the height of the IRA terrorist campaign, but this was a much different Ian Paisley from the firebrand preacher who spent decades on the margins of political power, damning the Catholic Church, and who was once thrown out of the European Parliament for denouncing Pope John Paul II as the anti-Christ.

Read more: Northern Ireland's former leader Ian Paisley dies aged 88* | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Another terrorist leader bites the dust. And only about 87 1/2 years too late.

Terrorist leader? He was the democratically elected leader of the DUP, the fourth largest political party in the UK. And the reason why it's the fourth largest political party in the UK - only the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems have more MPs at Westminster than the Democratic Unionist Party - is because it has overwhelming support in Northern Ireland.

The terrorist leaders were his enemies, McGuinness and Adams, the leaders of Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA, who have the blood of thousands on their hands.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Terrorist leader? He was the democratically elected leader of the DUP, the fourth largest political party in the UK. And the reason why it's the fourth largest political party in the UK - only the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems have more MPs at Westminster than the Democratic Unionist Party - is because it has overwhelming support in Northern Ireland.

The terrorist leaders were his enemies, McGuinness and Adams, the leaders of Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA, who have the blood of thousands on their hands.
Yep. You'll never hear me defending the PIRA. But I'll hear you defend the political wing of the UDA/UFF/Shankill Butchers.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yep. You'll never hear me defending the PIRA. But I'll hear you defend the political wing of the UDA/UFF/Shankill Butchers.

The DUP has never been the political wing of any such organisations. The DUP has consistently held the view that any party which is linked to a terrorist organisation should not be eligible to hold Government office (although I would never expect anybody of your rather limited intellectual capacity to have known that).

By the way, the UDA, UFF and the Shankill Butchers (the "Butchers" killed 23 people in the whole of their seven year existence) are small fry compared to the IRA. The number of people killed by those organisations is miniscule compared to those men, women and children blown to pieces by the IRA.

I hope, come referendum day on Thursday, the Scots remember Mr Paisley and his love of the United Kingdom, and compare him to the snivelling liar Alex Salmond, and vote accordingly.

March: Paisley parading alongside members of the Orange Order to commemorate the Battle of the Boyne

Never one to shy away from controversy, Paisley was the epitome of a 'Marmite' politician. He was either loved or hated, but despite his political and religious stance, no one could ever deny his passion, and he was a ferocious public speaker.

He lead a march in 1985 of 200,000 in Belfast to protest against the Anglo-Irish Agreement, which gave the Republic of Ireland a greater role in the affairs of Northern Ireland. His continued opposition to the bill lead him to be forcible ejected from the European Parliament in 1986 for continually interrupting a speech by Margaret Thatcher.

This was not the only occasion he was forcibly ejected from the European Parliament for interrupting a speaker. It happened again in 1988, when he called Pope John Paul II 'the antichrist'.

Despite his Protestant beliefs, which were staunchly pro-monarchy, he also wasn't shy of attacking the Queen if she had done something Paisley opposed. He accused the ruling monarch of being Tony Blair's 'parrot' in 1998 when she voiced approval of the Belfast Agreement, which proposed a ceasefire from all sides in Northern Ireland.

A devout Protestant, it was no surprise that Paisley was always Sinn Féin's most vocal opponent. Following a row over the Orange Order parades in 2006 he said: 'They are not fit to be in partnership with decent people. They are not fit to be in the government of Northern Ireland and it will be over our dead bodies if they ever get there.'

His battles with Sinn Fein went back a long way, and he was denied an American visa in the 1970s due to what authorities there called his 'devisive rhetoric', he claimed this ban was due to pressure exerted by Irish American supporters of the political arm of the IRA.

Homosexuality was another regular target of Paisley's scorn, and he led a campaign in 1977 called 'Save Ulster from sodomy' and opposed the changes to the 1967 British law which decriminalised it.

Preacher: Paisley, pictured in 1986, was once a fierce opponent of reconciliation with Irish Republicans

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By the way, the UDA, UFF and the Shankill Butchers (the "Butchers" killed 23 people in the whole of their seven year existence) are small fry compared to the IRA. The number of people killed by those organisations is miniscule compared to those men, women and children blown to pieces by the IRA.

Oh, well, that's all right then. Nothing to see here, move along.

By the bye: who committed the first bombing of the Troubles? Who committed the first murder of the Troubles? Who committed the first murder of a police officer of the Troubles? Green or Orange?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I remember seeing him on TV back in the 1960s when he was a firebrand of intolerance. Good to see that he changed his ways and became a champion of reconciliation.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I remember seeing him on TV back in the 1960s when he was a firebrand of intolerance.

The only things he intolerated were the things that SHOULD have been intolerated. He stood up for the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland against murderous IRA and Sinn Fein Irish republican terrorist thugs. He's much more greatly loved by the people of Northern Ireland than his enemies will ever be. His party is the most popular party in the whole of the UK outside of the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems. And, of course, he won. NI still remains in the UK, according to the wishes of the vast majority of its people.

Oh, well, that's all right then. Nothing to see here, move along.

No, it's not alright. You wrongly tried to link the DUP with the UDA, UFF and the Shankill Butchers. You've just slandered the fourth-biggest party in the House of Commons.

By the bye: who committed the first bombing of the Troubles?

That depends on when you consider the Troubles to have started. People have their own views on when they started.

If you're of the belief that they started in 1966, like many people are, then the first bombing of the conflict was committed by former IRA volunteers on 8th March of that year when, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising, they blew up Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and threw the statue of Nelson into the street.

If you're of the opinion that the Troubles started on 5th October 1968, like others are, during an illegal civil rights march in Derry, causing RUC officers to beat the marchers, injuring 100, then the first bombings were initiated by the Loyalist UVF and UPV in March 1969 when they bombed water and electricity installations in Northern Ireland.

Who committed the first murder of the Troubles? Who committed the first murder of a police officer of the Troubles? Green or Orange?

Again, that depends of when you consider the Troubles to have started.

Most people, however, are of the opinion that 302 officers of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), which changed its name to the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) in 2001, were killed during the Troubles between 1969 and 1998. Of those 302, 277 were killed by the IRA. In other words, almost all police officers killed during the Troubles were killed by Irish Republicans.

The Newry mortar attack by the Provisional IRA on an RUC station in 1985, which killed nine officers, resulted in the highest number of deaths inflicted on the RUC in one incident. The two highest-ranking RUC officers to be killed during "the Troubles" were Chief Superintendent Harry Breen and Superintendent Robert Buchanan, who were ambushed by the Provisional IRA South Armagh Brigade outside Jonesborough, County Armagh, on 20 March 1989. On 4 December 2013 in a report by judge Peter Smithwick in the Smithwick Tribunal, a public inquiry, it was alleged that Irish (Republic of Ireland) police officers (An Garda Síochána) had colluded in the IRA murders of the two senior Northern Ireland policemen. The last RUC officer killed as a direct result of the conflict, Francis O'Reilly, a Catholic constable, died on 6 October 1998 (1998 is considered to be the year the conflict ended), a month after he had been injured in a Red Hand Defenders pipe-bomb attack in Portadown.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good thing truth is an absolute defence to slander, enit?

There was nothing truthful in what you said. As usual, you think you are being clever by making a good comment, but then it doesn't take me long to prove you wrong.

You've slandered the fourth-biggest party in the House of Commons by wrongly linking it with terrorists.

The only party in the House of Commons which has links to terrorists (the IRA, in this case) is Sinn Fein (well, I call Sinn Fein " a party in the House of Commons" but many of their MPs refuse to even sit in the Commons despite the fact that the British taxpayer pays their bloated wages)