France bans Muslim worker from nuclear sites

tay
A French court has upheld a ban on a Muslim engineer from accessing nuclear sites, citing his links with what it termed as "jihadist networks", but his lawyer called it a case of Islamophobia.

Lawyer Sefen Guez Guez told AFP news agency on Monday that he was looking at launching an appeal.

The 29-year-old working for a firm subcontracted by energy giant EDF had been granted access to nuclear installations as part of his job throughout 2012 and 2013.

But in March this year, the man - who cannot be named according to French law, had his pass to enter the Nogent-sur-Seine nuclear power station revoked.

Officials said he had links with a violent armed group and that he was in touch with an imam involved in recruiting people to fight in Iraq.

A court in the north-eastern town of Chalons-en-Champagne upheld the ban saying the management could prevent those "undergoing a process of political and religious radicalisation" from accessing sensitive sites.

The lawyer for the man cried foul and argued that his client had no police record.

France bans Muslim worker from nuclear sites - Europe - Al Jazeera English (external - login to view)

Monsieurjean
Free Thinker
+1
Is good i think lets Muslim work in our Nuclear sites is a... potential danger . I imagine one day if Muslims working for our Nuclear Defense.I fear

Tecumsehsbones
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
So, what's really happening is that the French banned a man with links to a violent armed group from its nuclear sites.

EagleSmack
Red Storm Rising

Familiar with the beginning?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Red Storm Rising

Familiar with the beginning?

Nah, I worked at NSA too long to be interested in Clancy.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Nah, I worked at NSA too long to be interested in Clancy.

Back in the 80's?

At any rate. A muslim purposefully caused a meltdown at a Soviet reactor at the beginning of the book.

Tecumsehsbones

Back in the 80's?

Yup. 79-91. Back when we spied on bad guys.

Quote:

At any rate. A muslim purposefully caused a meltdown at a Soviet reactor at the beginning of the book.

Too bad it wasn't a Christian. He woulda been a patriot.

Corduroy
I don't know about France but the US defines connections with jihadist groups very loosely. If a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who might be a radical has a phone number similar to a Dominos pizza, half the town would be on a terrorist watch list.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

I don't know about France but the US defines connections with jihadist groups very loosely. If a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who might be a radical has a phone number similar to a Dominos pizza, half the town would be on a terrorist watch list.

Yeah... you know a lot. That's exactly what would happen.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Too bad it wasn't a Christian. He woulda been a patriot.

Or a Native American... he'd be a freedom fighter.

Monsieurjean
Free Thinker

The principe is the same here in France.All employees of our nuclear power plants are monitored by the DST ( direction de la Surveillance du Territoire Directorate of Territorial Surveillance) was a directorate of the French National Police operating as a domestic intelligence agency. It was responsible for counterespionage, counterterrorism and more generally the security of France against foreign threats and interference.

Tecumsehsbones

Yeah... you know a lot. That's exactly what would happen.

Or a Native American... he'd be a freedom fighter.

Damn right. I owe you nothing. Eat hot death, paleface!

The granting or withholding of a security clearance is discretionary to the government in most countries.

Kathie Bondar
No Party Affiliation

And believe you me, they are. People love to snitch, it makes them feel important, in with the "in people"