Dutch ban display of Isis flag in advance Amsterdam march

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The black flag of the Islamic State, formerly known as Isis, which has declared a new Muslim caliphate across Iraq and Syria, has been banned from public demonstrations in the Netherlands – in advance of a large pro-Palestine march scheduled for central Amsterdam tomorrow.

With more than 5,000 people expected to join the march in protest at Israeli shelling of Gaza, a police spokesman warned last night: “Nazi symbols, Hitler salutes and burning flags will not be tolerated. The same applies to the Isis flag. Demonstrators may not carry it.”

The decision – the first of its kind in Europe – was announced as a petition signed by more than 17,500 people called on the mayor of The Hague to resign for failing to take a harder line on a much smaller protest there last weekend at which the flags were prominent.

The mayor, Jozias van Aartsen, said on Monday “no limits had been exceeded”, despite video footage of some of the protestors chanting “Death to Jews”, which is illegal under incitement laws – while many more had their faces covered, which is also illegal.

The mayor’s discomfiture was increased when the public prosecutor viewed the footage following complaints from Jewish organisations, and two men were arrested within 24 hours and charged with “inciting violence against a group of people on the basis of their race or beliefs”.

Tensions increased further midweek when a Jewish woman living alone in Amsterdam hung an Israeli flag from her balcony, only to be beaten up by three men “wearing Palestinian-style scarves” who later broke into her apartment.

The attack brought a chorus of protest led by Amsterdam mayor Eberhard van der Laan, who said: “It would be completely intolerable if people in our city could act this way and get away with it. That will not happen. The police are on top of it.”

Labour MP Ahmed Marcouch, a Muslim of Moroccan origin and a former police officer, called the assault “disgusting”, while the fundamentalist Christian party SGP said it was “shocked to see hatred of Jews becoming commonplace”. All the more reason, it said, to “come down hard on anti-Semitism”.

At the same time, the owner of a driving school is being sought by police after placing video on Facebook in which he describes Jews as “zombies”, says “zombies should be shot dead”, and then fires a pistol in the air several times. Facebook removed the video.

Dutch ban display of Isis flag in advance Amsterdam march

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
As far as I know only the Dutch have done this so far........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It is a mistake.

Don't ban it, take pictures. Find out who is flying the flag. Use social media if necessary. Then check their Dutch citizenship.

If they are NOT Dutch, arrest them and deport them to the ISIS caliphate. And I mean grab them, take them directly to the airport, and fly them away.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
It is a mistake.

Don't ban it, take pictures. Find out who is flying the flag. Use social media if necessary. Then check their Dutch citizenship.

If they are NOT Dutch, arrest them and deport them to the ISIS caliphate. And I mean grab them, take them directly to the airport, and fly them away.

I see your point in using the flags to more readily identify them. But I think that photos and check points for all forms of ID already serve that purpose. If police single out carriers of black flags as opposed to all other forms of protesters there will soon be claims of discrimination or something like that.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I see your point in using the flags to more readily identify them. But I think that photos and check points for all forms of ID already serve that purpose. If police single out carriers of black flags as opposed to all other forms of protesters there will soon be claims of discrimination or something like that.
...which keeps 'em quiet all that much longer....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Yep.

It is discrimination........against psychotic killers that force FGM on women and murder everyone not a Sunni Muslim.

Gee, my bad huh??

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Yep.

It is discrimination........against psychotic killers that force FGM on women and murder everyone not a Sunni Muslim.

Gee, my bad huh??

I'm not saying police should not take preventive action - only that certain trouble makers shouldn't be singled out. Treat all trouble makers the same and there will be safer streets there.