Canada drops out of top 10 most developed countries list

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Canada has slipped out of the top 10 countries listed in the annual United Nation's human development index — a far cry from the 1990s when it held the first place for most of the decade.

The 2013 report, which reviews a country's performance in health, education and income, places Canada in 11th place versus 10th last year.

A closer look at the trends shows Canada actually did better than last year, but other countries such as Japan and Australia improved at a greater rate.

When the numbers are adjusted for gender inequality, Canada slumps to 18th place. The United States fares even worse -- sinking from third to 42nd place.

"I think it's really sad to see that we've dropped so far under the Conservatives," said deputy NDP leader Megan Leslie.

"And I think it reinforces what the NDP has been saying, but also what organizations like the Conference Board of Canada have been saying, about the fact that there's a growing income inequality gap in Canada.

"That gap creates serious problems, and I don't think the Conservatives have been taking it seriously."

The Prime Minister's Office did not respond to a request for comment on the rankings.

Southern nations on the rise
The main finding of the report, entitled "The Rise of the South," is a positive one on a global scale. It says that countries that had previously struggled with poverty and inequality are now on a steady developmental climb.

It says Brazil, China and India's combined gross domestic product is now about equal to the combined GDP of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States.

"When dozens of countries and billions of people move up the development ladder, as they are doing today, it has a direct impact on wealth creation and broader human progress in all countries and regions of the world," says the report.

Even the countries at the bottom of the development list, Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, are among those who showed the greatest improvement.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Canada has slipped out of the top 10 countries listed in the annual United Nation's human development index — a far cry from the 1990s when it held the first place for most of the decade.

The 2013 report, which reviews a country's performance in health, education and income, places Canada in 11th place versus 10th last year.

A closer look at the trends shows Canada actually did better than last year, but other countries such as Japan and Australia improved at a greater rate.

When the numbers are adjusted for gender inequality, Canada slumps to 18th place. The United States fares even worse -- sinking from third to 42nd place.

"I think it's really sad to see that we've dropped so far under the Conservatives," said deputy NDP leader Megan Leslie.

"And I think it reinforces what the NDP has been saying, but also what organizations like the Conference Board of Canada have been saying, about the fact that there's a growing income inequality gap in Canada.

"That gap creates serious problems, and I don't think the Conservatives have been taking it seriously."

The Prime Minister's Office did not respond to a request for comment on the rankings.

Southern nations on the rise
The main finding of the report, entitled "The Rise of the South," is a positive one on a global scale. It says that countries that had previously struggled with poverty and inequality are now on a steady developmental climb.

It says Brazil, China and India's combined gross domestic product is now about equal to the combined GDP of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States.

"When dozens of countries and billions of people move up the development ladder, as they are doing today, it has a direct impact on wealth creation and broader human progress in all countries and regions of the world," says the report.

Even the countries at the bottom of the development list, Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, are among those who showed the greatest improvement.

I guess when you have rioting in the streets of your major cities it impacts your human development .

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
We're in far worse shape than that. Free Trade and Free Markets is driving us down to Second World Status.. characterised by gross polarization of wealth. and a systematic dismantling of the industrial infrastructure.

We have produced a lost generation of young people who are burdened with virtually unpayable student loans and without the jobs by which they can start a family and own a home..

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Wasn't this the goal all along? Teach them how to fish so they can feed themselves.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Canada will be slumping in pretty much everything by the time steve and his gaggle of incompetent arseholes get done with it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O......jobs jobs jobs

Wasn't this the goal all along? Teach them how to fish so they can feed themselves.

fishing thread is on "hot topics"

Starting with Maggie, Raygun, and Mulroo, our society has been offshored.
If you like it, great.
If you don't tuff shyte I guess
Going to take years if ever to get it back.
Our kids are well screwed
:canada:.........the Canadian way ?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
No,sorry, not lol, Canada has been in a death spiral ever since. I'm not a Grit,and Jean had his faults but compared to the present regime it was milk and honey.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Chrétien will choke out some conservative clown and go to prison within the first few months of being PM

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When the term developed is used in what context is it used?
what is development? Financial, social, scientific what?
All the gobble de gook makes no sense to me,
And the UN being developed, there is a statement of lunacy
The UN cannot decide whether to be involved or not and once
they do decided they can't decide whether or not to act or in
what capacity. Thousands die in front of defense forces and
nothing happens

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The UN has no credibility.

We have produced a lost generation of young people who are burdened with virtually unpayable student loans and without the jobs by which they can start a family and own a home..

Maybe your kids, but that sure as hell doesn't apply to my kids and their friends.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is what happens when wimpy governments let NOPEs and NIMBYs ruin the economy. The first pipeline to the west coast was built in less time than the comunity meetings have taken for NG and we have yet to put a single piece of pipe in the ground. At one time we built things and created jobs now all we have is a bunch of whining sissys complaining about every little thing that might disrupt their miserable little lives.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
... now all we have is a bunch of whining sissys complaining about every little thing that might disrupt their miserable little lives.
Waiting for permission from Israel, WTF have you been?

Maybe your kids, but that sure as hell doesn't apply to my kids and their friends.
So you farmed out their upbringing did you? Want to give me a red for this one also? lol