Obama administration: Russia firing artillery at Ukraine military targets

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Obama administration officials said Thursday that Russia is firing artillery from its own territory into Ukraine to hit Ukrainian military sites, pointing to escalating Russian involvement in the deadly conflict.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf also claimed Moscow is boosting its military shipments to pro-Russian separatists.

"We have new evidence that the Russians intend to deliver heavier and more powerful multiple rocket launchers to separatist forces in Ukraine and have evidence that Russia is firing artillery from within Russian to attack Ukrainian military positions," Harf told reporters.

She said the evidence derived from "human intelligence information" but declined to elaborate, saying it would compromise sources and methods of intelligence collection.

The Pentagon, though, confirmed her account, and said Russia has been firing artillery for several days now.

The allegations come amid an increasingly bitter war of words between Washington and Moscow over the crisis in Ukraine and conflicting claims over the downing of a Malaysian passenger jet over eastern Ukraine last week.

The U.S. repeatedly has accused Russia of stoking the Ukraine rebellion and has said it believes separatists shot down the Malaysian plane, killing nearly 300 people, with a Russian provided surface-to-air missile.

Harf said Wednesday the ultimate responsibility for the downing of the plane rests with Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Russian government.

Meanwhile, additional military aircraft carrying remains of victims from the Malaysian plane disaster arrived in the Netherlands on Thursday, while Australian and Dutch diplomats joined to promote a plan for a U.N. team to secure the crash site which has been controlled by pro-Russian rebels.

On Monday, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a resolution proposed by Australia demanding that rebels cooperate with an independent investigation and allow all remaining bodies to be recovered.

Obama administration: Russia firing artillery at Ukraine military targets | Fox News

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Obama and FOX, what a team, a perverted something or other and the laughing stock of TV journalism. Fawk

Just in from the BBC, the Russians have landed at Bristol Beach and are eating babies and raping farm animals. It's ghastly.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Probably true, but I'm not sure broadcasting that info helps. Russia is just using it as evidence of the enmity of the West. China is taking the same approach--saying that US loudmouthing is preempting the official investigation (which is surprising, because I wouildn't expect China to back internal ethnic uprising). From a propganda standpoint, the US should be trying to drive a wedge between China and Russia right now. To my mind, that may be the most important objective in this current imbroglio. Shouldn't be too hard. China and Russia naturally don't like each other and never have--the US just has to make sure they don't force them into an alliance.

The US needs Kissinger not Kerry. Kerry's off trying to solve the Isarel "crisis"? Why? It's not a crisis, it's a repetitive, completely predictable outcome with bugger all implications for the US other than religious wingnuts and hardcore idealogues.

Eyes on the ball, Kerry. Protip: The ball is in the Ukraine.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh Boy! WWIII coming up. Just what the US needs to get itself out of there current debt.

Come on all you big, strong men
Uncle Sam needs your help again
there's plenty of money to be made
supplying the army with the tools of the trade
be the first ones on your block
to have you boys come home in a box

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
darkbeaver won't believe any news that doesn't affirm his worldview.

Such is the value of a personal worldview. I suppose you will claim that no such malady bothers you and that your adopted view, if you have one, is superior. My dearly missed recently departed cat had a similar attitude with respect to his worldview, but it was still a valid worldview even if it orbited mice constantly.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh Boy! WWIII coming up. Just what the US needs to get itself out of there current debt.

WWIII came and went.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
...From a propganda standpoint, the US should be trying to drive a wedge between China and Russia right now. To my mind, that may be the most important objective in this current imbroglio...

Too late.

The Strategic Alliance Being Overlooked between Russia and China - My Catbird Seat

Russia and China have a common enemy which they perceive to be a greater threat than each other. Its the same type of relationship the Allies and the Soviet Union had during WWII. The two powers inked a strategic energy agreement and weapons deal shortly after Obama imposed sanctions on Russia following the crisis in Crimea.

Give credit to Country Joe and the Fish.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Now that the world will start seeing more pictures from Russian intelligence sources on a big curved screen the US is going to have to come up with more than empty words and a vial of washing soda before the 'world' will fall into line behind them like it did for Iraq.
Hardware sales to Iraq will also include real time intelligence telling the jets and choppers where to find ISIS (commonly known as Israeli Terrorism Inc.) Busted in Syria if Russia starts showing that the Israeli attacks are missile attacks rather than the daredevil IDF defying all odds to do the mission. The last time they 'assisted' the Syrian Rebels a convoy of their Rebels in Iraq were tapped in an air strike. I'm pretty sure Israel got the message and at the same time Iraq wants (older) Russian aircraft. (as an incentive to do more for Iraq in deals that are business deals rather than war related contracts)

BaalsTears;1952369 Give credit to Country Joe and the Fish.[/QUOTE said:
The insanity of war message is done in Alice's Restaurant better IMO Catch 22 for the nonmusical version
Alice's Restaurant Massacre Illustrated - YouTube

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

and it's one two three
what are we fighting for?

don't ask me I don't give a d@mn
next stop is Vietnam

and its five six seven
open up the Pearly Gates