Hitler's Legacy

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've read Hitler's meandering rant and I don't think there is much danger. The more people who read the damn thing, the more people will see what a psychotic dork he was.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have to admit I read a translated version, so I can't say I understand how the book seemed to hypnotize millions of Germans. I can only assume that a book written by an absolute, all powerful, ruler who could lock you up for having the wrong attitude, probably helped make it a "best seller".
I read the "Ford" translation which is considered by most to be the best translation.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have to admit I read a translated version, so I can't say I understand how the book seemed to hypnotize millions of Germans. I can only assume that a book written by an absolute, all powerful, ruler who could lock you up for having the wrong attitude, probably helped make it a "best seller".

Different times, different circumstances. Germany was in prety tough shape in that time.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Different times, different circumstances. Germany was in prety tough shape in that time.

Absolutely. Germany was in the depths of depression and probably the most fertile ground for somebody like Hitler who told them how good they were and how their problems were all the fault of others,,...The Jews.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
And the fault of England and France for putting them in their state after WWI.

Not saying he was right or wrong, but people were desperate & poor and the best way to deal with it is to blame everybody else, focus on that anger and use it to get yourself out of the mess you're in at the expense of those you blame.

.... It worked..... for a while. Then they went too far. They went waaaay too far.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And the fault of England and France for putting them in their state after WWI.

Not saying he was right or wrong, but people were desperate & poor and the best way to deal with it is to blame everybody else, focus on that anger and use it to get yourself out of the mess you're in at the expense of those you blame.

.... It worked..... for a while. Then they went too far. They went waaaay too far.
I've heard that before. I don't agree. I think it's like a speedball (an injection of heroin and amphetamine). It makes you feel really great right up to where you die.

So, yeah, saying he was right or wrong. I vote wrong.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I read Mein Kampf at college way back when. There was a copy of it always lying on the table in the college's library, so I used to read it there.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I've read Hitler's meandering rant and I don't think there is much danger. The more people who read the damn thing, the more people will see what a psychotic dork he was.

I agree. It should remain in publication and accessible to those who want to read it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is there a danger that Hitler's book,"Mein Kampf" could help spawn another monster?

Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf at centre of fresh controversy - World - CBC News

I don't think it would create a monster that wasn't already in the making when they picked the book up. If normal people read it in the right context its harmless. I read it in grade 10, it was rather dull. It had some interesting parts though. It surprises me that he made a lot of his plans public nearly a decade before coming to power and still no one really took him seriously til it was too late.

I have to admit I read a translated version, so I can't say I understand how the book seemed to hypnotize millions of Germans.

Not sure that it really did. It didn't sell very well til Hitler was already in power. At that point it was almost mandatory to have a copy, how many actually bothered to read it? Not enough sadly.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Any one read Ingo Hasselbach's Furher-Ex?

Very interesting read. Seemed like in 80-90's there was a large growing neo nazi movement. Where these people went to practicing killing was frightening. How he came to be a neo nazi and how he had tea with grandma's who missed the nazi days was an eye opener.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hitler is dead but fascism thrives beyond his wildest dreams. We are told they were exterminated in the last great war, haha not forking likely.

Well, Mussolini was doing it long before Hitler. Its not surprising that its still around in one form or another. They could have killed every single nazi/fascist after the war and it wouldn't have changed that. You can kill a person but not an idea - whether it be a good or bad one.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The merit of that idea was always a matter of perspective so when it was encouraged and bankrolled and finally defeated they assured us, they were safe to continue it's refinement under the cover of its supposed elimination.
Hitlers handlers acctually won the second world war and they intend to win this fresh chapter. The numbers of victims don't concern them in the least. Their uncontested continuation is all that matters to them.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The merit of that idea was always a matter of perspective so when it was encouraged and bankrolled and finally defeated they assured us, they were safe to continue it's refinement under the cover of its supposed elimination.
Hitlers handlers acctually won the second world war and they intend to win this fresh chapter. The numbers of victims don't concern them in the least. Their uncontested continuation is all that matters to them.

darkbeaver is that avatar battery run or does it pulse on wind power?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
WLDB,

If normal people read it in the right context its harmless. I read it in grade 10, it was rather dull. It had some interesting parts though. It surprises me that he made a lot of his plans public nearly a decade before coming to power and still no one really took him seriously til it was too late.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that Hitler did not act alone. He was part of a large group of fanatics whose crazed ideas were circulating throughout Germany since at least the 1870s. For half a century they were spreading these ideas and convincing people that it was a form of inevitable 'manifest destiny' that was going to happen regardless of anyone's wishes. Therefore, the key in preventing what took place was not in stopping Hitler but in stopping his many supporters and financiers. Had his many henchmen been stopped, and the financing they got taken away, all the conflicts could have been avoided.