Europe softens stance on Canada’s oil sands as relations with Russia sour

Locutus
As Europe reels from Moscow’s belligerence and utter dependence on its oil and gas supplies, the Harper government is positioning itself as a reliable partner ready to offer energy security to the continent

In his first international assignment, Canada’s Natural Resources Minister Greg Rickford was out in full force advertising the country’s formidable crude oil and natural gas resources to energy ministers of Germany, France, Italy, Japan, U.K. and U.S. in Rome on Tuesday.

“In a time where many countries are faced with the dual challenges of increasing demands for energy and an unstable energy supply, Canada is a reliable, secure and responsible source of energy,” Mr. Rickford told reporters after a special meeting with the Group of Seven ministers.

more

Europe softens stance on Canada’s oil sands as relations with Russia sour | Financial Post (external - login to view)

petros
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Surprise surprise surprise.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Well, well, well.... Looks like there will be a real strong demand for oil delivered from Canada's East Coast.

Good thing that we didn't build a line down to the Gulf now, eh?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Well, well, well.... Looks like there will be a real strong demand for oil delivered from Canada's East Coast.

Still should build both. It isalways benificial to have market options.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
I agree, mind you, build-out Canada's options first and then expand.

It still defies logic how the WH couldn't see the huge upside in being the only buyer of Canada's oil resource.. Getting it at a steep discount to Brent crude prices, adding some value and later selling it at a premium on the world markets.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

It still defies logic how the WH couldn't see the huge upside in being the only buyer of Canada's oil resource.. Getting it at a steep discount to Brent crude prices, adding some value and later selling it at a premium on the world markets.

I think the idea was to kind of keep Canada'ssupply locked up while they used their own new found oil and gas. Cause everyone knowswe will bend over to get the shaft fromthe US.

petros
Enbridge got the go for a new 190,000 bbl tank in Regina yesterday. Getting ready to fill that EU market.

Spade
Free Thinker
Sounds like the Europeans will be beating the tar out of Alberta.

petros
Nope. Heavy crude.

Why conventional heavy oil is a sizzling commodity in Alberta and Saskatchewan - Swiftcurrentonline.com (external - login to view)

Spade
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Nope. Heavy crude.

Why conventional heavy oil is a sizzling commodity in Alberta and Saskatchewan - Swiftcurrentonline.com (external - login to view)

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy?
- Julie (say it isn't tar) Baby

Count_Lothian
+1
Next the run ways of Europe will be sporting baby seal fur

Spade
Free Thinker
Seals are just cattle of the sea; they live at our pleasure for we are at the top of the food chain. All hail personal gain!

mentalfloss
+1
This whole thread is evidence for why fossil fuels are a limited resource used for political advantage.

The more exposure we get to this problem, the more we will begin to shift to renewables - which is ultimately in the interest of the private sector if they don't want gubmint interference.

petros
Kinda like your renewable pipe dreams and ramblings of stimulation of Canadian manufacturing over resources?

Which do yo want? Pipe dreams or industry? You can't have both.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Kinda like your renewable pipe dreams and ramblings of stimulation of Canadian manufacturing over resources?

Which do yo want? Pipe dreams or industry? You can't have both.

Why not? Is it your contention that "renewables" will never be more efficient or cost-effective than they are now? I would suggest that continuing development generally tends to make anything more efficient and cheaper.

Is there some reason why petroleum and "renewables" are mutually exclusive?

Sometimes you sound like a St. John's whaler declaring that this new-fangled "petroleum" will NEVER take the place of good old whale oil!

Even Captain Morgan, your usual wingman on the topic, admits that "renewable" energy has a place in the system, and that place will probably grow as "renewable" technology improves.

petros
In the mean time just replace the coal which is far more valuable for steel with GE gas turbines to make the consistant energy needed for industry and pat yourself on the back?

Tecumsehsbones

In the mean time just replace the coal which is far more valuable for steel with GE gas turbines to make the consistant energy needed for industry and pat yourself on the back?

No, in the meantime push ahead with continuing development of all energy resources.

That's my answer, anyhow. Yours seems to be a mutually-exclusive game that only one is possible, renewables or "industry." I asked you about that. You didn't answer.

Not surprising, really.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
They'd better get busy with that new pipe for Energy East

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Sorry, Lone. Pressed the wrong goddamn button!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
No worries.... I no cry

EagleSmack

And I wish you well on that. As of late Canada seems to be the only one with any sense on this.

I agree again. Look to yourselves.

Quote:

Of course it defies logic. Much of what this Administration does defies logic.

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

No worries.... I no cry

Just pretend I was Walter.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Seals are just cattle of the sea; they live at our pleasure for we are at the top of the food chain.

Yup!

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

No, in the meantime push ahead with continuing development of all energy resources.

That's my answer, anyhow. Yours seems to be a mutually-exclusive game that only one is possible, renewables or "industry." I asked you about that. You didn't answer.

Not surprising, really.

Are you not good to go or you never bought new light bulbs?

Tecumsehsbones

Are you not good to go or you never bought new light bulbs?

Ah, I see you are a savant of the True Path of Cauchynicity!

petros

You can see?

SLM
No Party Affiliation

Is it special glasses that let you see that? Drugs? Crystal ball?

Locutus
It's good to be Canadian, eh.

mentalfloss
softens