China to overtake US economy; India trumps Japan

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

China is set to overtake the U.S. as the world's number one economy, while India has jumped into third place ahead of Japan, according to a new study from the world's leading statistical agencies.

The 2011 International Comparison Program (ICP), which involves the World Bank, assesses economies based on purchasing power parity (PPP), an estimate of the real living costs.

The results revealed on Wednesday paint a new and different picture of the global economy compared with the last update in 2005.

The research puts China's gross domestic product (GDP) at 87 percent of the U.S. in 2011 and says the Chinese and Indian economies have more than doubled relative to that of the U.S. In the 2005 study, the ICP believed China's economy was less than half the size of the U.S., at 43 percent.

"The United States remained the world's largest economy, but it was closely followed by China when measured using PPPs. India was now the world's third largest economy, moving ahead of Japan," the report said.

It added: "The results indicate that only a small number of economies have the greatest shares of world GDP. However, the shares of large economies such as China and India have more than doubled relative to that of the United States."

The ICP program is the largest global statistical operation, covering 199 economies from eight regions. It said that changes to its methodology help explain the estimates for the size of China's economy.

Rapid growth has led many economists to anticipate that China, t—he world's second biggest economy, would move into the number one position over the next few years. The latest findings from the ICP could fuel a debate on whether that is likely to happen sooner rather than later.

The Financial Times used the ICP figures to predict that China could overtake the U.S. as the world's largest economy as soon as this year—at least five years earlier than previously forecast.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's too bad their booming economy hasn't done much for the people actually living there.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Per capita income in a nation of over a billion people is less than per capita income in a nation of 35 million? Why would that be surprising? China has made tremendous strides over the last few decades.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Per capita income in a nation of over a billion people is less than per capita income in a nation of 35 million? Why would that be surprising? China has made tremendous strides over the last few decades.

I agree it's more difficult with a higher population but considering China's Debt to GDP ratio is so low, they have the capability to raise the standard of living there.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I agree it's more difficult with a higher population but considering China's Debt to GDP ratio is so low, they have the capability to raise the standard of living there.
Full credit, floss. How often have we heard right-wingers respond to criticism of the West with "Well, why don't you object to. . . (usually something about non-whites)."

You did.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
It's too bad their booming economy hasn't done much for the people actually living there.

And that is utterly incorrect.

It is true that most Western nations have lost jobs to the third world through
“off shoring” and trade agreements.
The flip side to that is that acute poverty in non-Western nations has dropped significantly as jobs proportionally increase there.
The middle class in what were once second or third world nations (like China) is exploding.
And poverty is shrinking dramatically.

Quote Oxford University”
Some of the poorest people in the world are becoming significantly less poor, according to a groundbreaking academic study which has taken a new approach to measuring deprivation.
The report, by Oxford University’s poverty and human development initiative, predicts that countries among the most impoverished in the world could see acute poverty eradicated within 20 years if they continue at present rates.
It identifies “star performer” nations such as Rwanda, Nepal and Bangladesh as places where deprivation could disappear within the lifetime of present generations. Close on their heels with reductions in poverty levels were Ghana, Tanzania, Cambodia and Bolivia.
The study comes after the UN’s latest development report published last week which stated that poverty reduction drives in the developing world were exceeding all expectations.
It says: “The world is witnessing an epochal ‘global rebalancing’ with higher growth in at least 40 poor countries helping lift hundreds of millions out of poverty and into a new ‘global middle class’. Never in history have the living conditions and prospects of so many people changed so dramatically and so fast.” Unquote

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm not sure quoting an article that doesn't mention China even once is the best way to demonstrate that poverty is going down in China.

But that's just me. I'm sure many people will find the reduction of poverty in Bolivia to be intimately connected and relevant to China.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My friend in China lives as good a life as she did living here. Her and her new hubby who is a car salesman bought a new hirise condo in Shanghai for $55K. Between the two them they make $1100 US a month. That is like making $6500 a mont here.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
I'm not sure quoting an article that doesn't mention China even once is the best way to demonstrate that poverty is going down in China.

But that's just me. I'm sure many people will find the reduction of poverty in Bolivia to be intimately connected and relevant to China.

And that is because the growth of the second and thirld world's middle class is a global phonomenon and not just applicable to China.
I assumed that when an article discusses the entire second and thirld world most people would be clever enough to understand China and India would be included.
Perhaps not.

Or you could have just gone to google.

quote International Business Insider,"Today, China has around 150 million people earning between US$10 and US$100 per day. As long as China continues to grow, and necessary economic reforms are made, we expect as many as 500 million Chinese could enter the global middle class over the next decade.

By 2030 around one billion people in China could be middle class — as much as 70% of its projected population.
unquote

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I guess my main point is that quality of life won't improve in China simply under the spectre of capitalism.

If the goal is to improve the standard of living for most people then they have the resources.

Otherwise touting they have the strongest economy seems a bit frivolous.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And that is because the growth of the second and thirld world's middle class is a global phonomenon and not just applicable to China.
I assumed that when an article discusses the entire second and thirld world most people would be clever enough to understand China and India would be included.
Perhaps not.
Perhaps not, indeed. To assume the so-called second and third worlds are all of a piece ain't exactly logical.

On the other hand, we have petros talking about his buddy in China who's doing OK, as if that somehow has application to the other 1,299,999,999 people in China, so it seems that April 30 is Illogical Argument Day.

Sorry, I didn't get the memo.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Perhaps not, indeed. To assume the so-called second and third worlds are all of a piece ain't exactly logical.

On the other hand, we have petros talking about his buddy in China who's doing OK, as if that somehow has application to the other 1,299,999,999 people in China, so it seems that April 30 is Illogical Argument Day.

Sorry, I didn't get the memo.

You must have missed this bit.
Here it is again for you.

Today, China has around 150 million people earning between US$10 and US$100 per day. As long as China continues to grow, and necessary economic reforms are made, we expect as many as 500 million Chinese could enter the global middle class over the next decade.

By 2030 around one billion people in China could be middle class — as much as 70% of its projected population.

Instead of arguing and splitting hairs why not go to google and check for yourself?

The middle class in China is growing fast.
Do you deny it?

Perhaps you could post any information you have showing China's middle class is shrinking?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I guess my main point is that quality of life won't improve in China simply under the spectre of capitalism.

If the goal is to improve the standard of living for most people then they have the resources.

Otherwise touting they have the strongest economy seems a bit frivolous.

Why do you think they have it so rough?

One day you bitch about powerplants the next you say they have it bad. When they have a complete electric grid, poverty in all demographics goes bye bye.

It's what happened in Canada 60 years ago.