Canada's reputation as a global citizen has slipped

tay
+2
A generation ago, Canada was perceived to be an exemplary global citizen by the rest of the world: it took the lead on a host of international issues, including the Convention of Child Rights, freedom of information, acid rain, world peacekeeping, sanctions against South Africa's apartheid regime, and humanitarian and development assistance—much of this under conservative leadership.

During recent years, Canada's reputation as a global citizen has slipped, in recent months more precipitously than ever before, and in new directions. The Climate Action Network recently ranked Canada 55th of 58 countries in tackling of greenhouse emissions. Results of other analyses show a government systematically removing obstacles to resource extraction initiatives by gutting existing legislation, cutting budgets of relevant departments, and eliminating independent policy and arms-length monitoring bodies.

Canada's reputation is further undercut by its silencing of government scientists on environmental and public health issues: scientists are required to receive approval before they speak with the media; they are prevented from publishing; and, remarkably, their activities are individually monitored at international conferences. These actions have outraged local and international scientific communities. A survey done in December, 2013, of 4000 Canadian federal government scientists showed that 90% felt they are not allowed to speak freely to the media about their work, and that, faced with a departmental decision that could harm public health, safety, or the environment, 86% felt they would encounter censure or retaliation for doing so. These trends are affected by the Canadian leadership's view that multilateralism is a “weak-nation policy”, and by its embrace of what it calls “sovereign self-interest”, perceived as the conspicuous pursuit of economic goals and goals of resource-extraction industries. This world view is reflected in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's response to demands for him to end asbestos mining when he promised that “this government will not put Canadian [asbestos] industry in a position where it is discriminated against in a market where it is permitted”—a response that cast a pall over all Canadian environmental issues.

Previously a leader in freedom of information, Canada is frequently cited for its decline in openness, most recently by the Center for Law and Democracy, in co-operation with the Madrid-based Access Info Europe, which ranked it 55th of 93 countries, down from 40th in 2011.

Harper defends withdrawal of federal funding for non-governmental organisations (NGOs) that are critical of governmental policy, a reversal of a 50 year tradition of non-partisan support for civil society, saying: “if it's the case that we're spending on organisations that are doing things contrary to government policy, I think that is an inappropriate use of taxpayer's money and we'll look to eliminate it.”

Consistent with this logic, the Government was able to continue funding NGOs skeptical of global warming and supportive of the asbestos industries.

As for proscribing a way forward, it makes no sense to make recommendations that presume a level of political commitment that does not exist. However, if “self-interest”is the motivating force behind this Government's actions, it ought to develop and implement a global health strategy. Such a strategy would help set priorities, guide decision-making, and create efficiency and cooperation. A global health strategy would also prompt greater fairness and, with less to hide, greater transparency.

A rising tide: the case against Canada as a world citizen : The Lancet Global Health (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
B00Mer
Republican
Yup, now they just lump us in with Americans - being Canadians are starting to act as obnoxious, rude and loud in public just like our southern counterpart.

Last edited by B00Mer; Apr 29th, 2014 at 07:22 AM..

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Yup, now they just lump us in with Americans - being Canadians are starting to act as obnoxious, rude and loud in public just like our southern counterpart.

Own it! Don't bring us into it... t's YOU!

B00Mer
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Own it! Don't bring us into it... t's YOU!

HUH?? I live in the USA.. I've already crossed that threshold.. I've past the obnoxious test and have been welcomed with open arms...

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+8
#5  Top Rated Post
Who is 'The Climate Action Network'?

More importantly, why the fukk do I care what they have to say?

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+7
Oh dear Canada has slipped in the eyes of a couple of leftards. Meanwhile in the real world Canada's fiscal position is near the top. Whose opinion is more important?

mentalfloss
+2
We've become Ford Nation.

petros
You've became Ford Nation mentalflaws.

BaalsTears
Everyone loves Canada. Really...what's not to like?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Everyone loves Canada. Really...what's not to like?

A major flaw is that we, as a nation, embrace every leftard, earth-ranger, eco-lobby that seeks to undermine the entire economy

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

A major flaw is that we, as a nation, embrace every leftard, earth-ranger, eco-lobby that seeks to undermine the entire economy

In a few minutes I'm going to personally save several hectares of tundra from ecological devastation that by next year will increase to several square km.

It's going to put me $50 in the red but in the end I'll save hundreds in dog food.

I'm a shotgun packin' eco-hero.

See ya in two hours. I'll be back with 30 dead snow geese.

mentalfloss
How's the shooting coming tex?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

You can blame the South Africans for that.

Twila
+3
Quote:

Canada's reputation is further undercut by its silencing of government scientists on environmental and public health issues: scientists are required to receive approval before they speak with the media; they are prevented from publishing; and, remarkably, their activities are individually monitored at international conferences.

This part is the most disturbing and shameful.

mentalfloss
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

And costly!

EagleSmack
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Oh dear Canada has slipped in the eyes of a couple of leftards. Meanwhile in the real world Canada's fiscal position is near the top. Whose opinion is more important?

Exactly right. You know why Canada slipped... because you won't pay anymore. That is the only reason... you will not cave into their pressure and thievery.

Outstanding job Canada!

Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Have you bought your carbon credits Twilla?

Walter
The OP is crap.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Have you bought your carbon credits Twilla?

Funny how the notion of dropping some cash diverts the importance of the issue.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

The OP is crap.

Waltbot.

EagleSmack
+2

Funny how the notion of dropping some cash diverts the importance of the issue.

Typical alarmists... not their wallets and not in their backyard.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

Typical alarmists... not their wallets and not in their backyard.

Mind you, I do notice that they do take the time to piss and moan about the cost of gas to fill up their guzzlers... Maybe the savings they get from buying blood diamonds offsets the cost of gas

EagleSmack
+1

Mind you, I do notice that they do take the time to piss and moan about the cost of gas to fill up their guzzlers... Maybe the savings they get from buying blood diamonds offsets the cost of gas

My state is the most hypocritical of all. Just about everyone is an alarmist. Try putting a windmill in their town and they go nuts!

"Look... I believe in man made climate change and how we need alternative energy but... but hey this isn't Texas and Nebraska."

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
It's at the point where the entire ecotard movement is nothing short of my daily comic relief

Count_Lothian
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

and if you think thats due to the new C logo you are soooo wrong.

We were built into this great Country financially over a long time.
Most of the banking laws the new C logo takes credit for were laws they wanted changed under the Chretien / martin team. Chretien said no and no one talks of that on Harper Television....lol

Canada is not the same overseas anymore. In fact it's now just as dangerous to be Canadian as it is to be American.

coldstream
+2 / -2
Frankly the saccharine image of Canada as Peacekeeper to the world.. and model of tolerance and prosperity at home.. was more a publicity stunt used to support the ambitions of PMs like Mulroney and Chretien to be fetted and praised at international conferences and summits. It really never produced anything of value and managed to foist international treaties, especially Free Trade Agreements, that created economic decline, or, social agendas that produced cultural disintegration at home. Who cares what the world thinks of us.

Count_Lothian
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Frankly the saccharine image of Canada as Peacekeeper to the world.. and model of tolerance and prosperity at home.. was more a publicity stunt used to support the ambitions of PMs like Mulroney and Chretien to be fetted and praised at international conferences and summits. It really never produced anything of value and managed to foist international treaties, especially Free Trade Agreements, that created economic decline or social agendas that produced cultural disintegration at home. Who cares what the world thinks of us.

Well i guess if you were born in 1990 this world view is the norm if you don;t even give a toss to the reality of our history.

Actually this post is so imbecilic I can't begin to do anything but just give you a red.

Quote:

Who cares what the world thinks of us

Obviously you don't, so why even bother to post anything at all about Canada?

Anything in future will be deemed just trolling .

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+3
Afghanistan and Libya were the game changers for Canada and how the world views us. We are no longer peace keepers, we are the aggressors.

You can have all the money you want, but you can't eat it. It will not serve you at all when you are choking in your own effluent. Economics are not an indicator of prosperity for those who have none. Quality of life is and we don't got it. People may be living longer but they are being sustained by a cocktail of chemicals from Big Pharma. We used to take care of our sick and elderly, now our government (Harpo and his gang of thugs) and his fan club hold them in contempt.

I was once proud to be an ambassador of good will for Canada when I traveled, now I am ashamed. This is not the country I grew up in.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

How's the shooting coming tex?

Not too bad gringo.

coldstream
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_LothianView Post

Well i guess if you were born in 1990 this world view is the norm if you don;t even give a toss to the reality of our history.

Actually this post is so imbecilic I can't begin to do anything but just give you a red.

Obviously you don't, so why even bother to post anything at all about Canada?

Anything in future will be deemed just trolling .

Canada has never been more than middling power, much of it spent in colonial or imperial shadows of Britain or the U.S. The little lamented period of trolling for international reputation was more a function of the deeply engrained inferiority complex Canada has developed.. magnified by mediocre, vacuous, attention craving politicians like Mulroney and Chretien. We have always been better off when when we minded our own fences instead of running around like half baked preachers or prophets. We have more than enough problems at home than to commend ourselves as 'examples' to world.
Last edited by coldstream; Apr 29th, 2014 at 01:32 PM..

Count_Lothian
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Afghanistan and Libya were the game changers for Canada and how the world views us. We are no longer peace keepers, we are the aggressors.

You can have all the money you want, but you can't eat it. It will not serve you at all when you are choking in your own effluent. Economics are not an indicator of prosperity for those who have none. Quality of life is and we don't got it. People may be living longer but they are being sustained by a cocktail of chemicals from Big Pharma. We used to take care of our sick and elderly, now our government (Harpo and his gang of thugs) and his fan club hold them in contempt.

I was once proud to be an ambassador of good will for Canada when I traveled, now I am ashamed. This is not the country I grew up in.

If america did not go into Iraq and ignore afghanistan and stick to the course of dismantling the training camps and educate the people and bring them out of the dark ages in afghanistan we would be living in a far different world.

All we appear to have done is support the american agenda and do the heavy lifting in Afghanistan to allow for america to practice modern day imperialistic colonialism .

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Canada has never been more than middling power, much of it spent in colonial or imperial shadows of Britain or the U.S. The little lamented period of trolling for international reputation was more a function of the deeply engrained inferiority complex Canada has developed.. magnified by mediocre, attention craving politicians like Mulroney and Chretien. We have always been better off when wen mind our own fences instead of running around like half baked preachers or prophets. We have more than enough problems at home to commend us as 'examples' to world.

My god man , you would do well in a communist party fundraising campaign of the 60's.
but alas you know nothing of the roots of your country.

you need deprogramming , you are under the spell of some maniacle mad man who has misguided grudges against false imperlistic canadian propaganda formed in the minds of wannbe commies upset from the dismantling of communism in the former USSR.

your hilarious.

sorry that two of my posts got lumped together..
had to rearrange them in order to not look like i was talking to cliffy...
weirdness..