US, China carbon talks 'most promising' in 20 years

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

China and the US have begun an ambitious new phase of talks on curbing their carbon dioxide emissions that observers say is the most promising development in nearly 20 years of global climate change negotiations.

A lack of co-ordination between the two superpowers, whose combined emissions nearly match the rest of the world's put together, has helped torpedo previous rounds of international climate talks, including the Copenhagen summit of 2009.

But the pair have recently begun detailed discussions about the sensitive issue of their respective carbon-cutting goals as world leaders try to seal a global climate deal in Paris next year that will hinge on a US-Chinese agreement.

Xie Zhenhua, China's chief climate negotiator, told the Financial Times that Beijing's "down to earth" talks with Washington were paving the way for "China and the US to build a new big country relationship".

"We should be confident that the Paris meeting will not be another Copenhagen," he said, explaining the air pollution choking China's cities now made it "a must" for Beijing to build a greener economy, regardless of outside pressure.

Todd Stern, US climate envoy, confirmed there was a new level of intensity in the talks, launched last year shortly after John Kerry, a veteran climate champion, became US secretary of state.

"The pace of our co-operative efforts is increasing and I think they hold a lot of promise," Mr Stern said.

China was now clearly committed to taking strong action, he added. "Their air pollution problem is extremely serious, and I think they are seized at the highest levels by the need to take action that deals with both air pollution and climate change at the same time."

Harvard University's Professor Robert Stavins, an expert in global climate negotiations, said the extent to which the US and China were now co-operating marked a substantial shift. "It is the most promising development since the Kyoto protocol," he said, referring to the 1997 climate treaty that is the only legally binding UN climate pact ever agreed, but is moribund because the US never ratified it and China was not bound by it.

Lord Nicholas Stern, British climate economist, said the Obama administration's commitment to climate action and China's appetite to tackle its domestic pollution problems meant there was far more agreement between the two countries than many realised.

"I have been working in China for 25 years now and in the last five years, there has been a remarkable change in terms of what is being discussed," he said.

China and the US have said they planned to talk about their climate actions, but it was not known they had reached the point of discussing their respective emissions strategies in such detail.

Still, it remains to be seen if they can overcome their long-running disagreement over the extent to which China should be required to meet similar emissions targets to advanced industrial nations, a key hurdle in past climate negotiations.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Right on. More insignificant crap.

You've heard about the nukes they are already building/preparing to build with a 20/20 goal?

In the mean time expect more coal.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's all politics MF... Rarely is there any good news relative to politics.

Besides, after 20 years they are just now making progress?.... maybe another 20 years and they'll be able to agree what is to be on the lunch menu for the next meeting

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's all politics MF... Rarely is there any good news relative to politics.

Besides, after 20 years they are just now making progress?.... maybe another 20 years and they'll be able to agree what is to be on the lunch menu for the next meeting
Don't be silly. In another 20 years the planet will be like Venus.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
200 gigs worth of nuke energy is great news especially when they are buying the uranium from me. I can't ask for better timing.

Oh I almost forgot. All that U308 will going out of Prince Rupert right through the humpy back migration route.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
While I agree that much of the current talk does not have much value there is a shift
in the direction of these countries. Environmentally speaking the major players were
not on board and made international agreements silly. Now these same countries
are changing their positions on the environment. This is fueled by a couple of things
One money there is money to be made having the world believe we can stop the tide
from rising on shore. Secondly public opinion in their home countries and internationally
I am not against clean energy or being mindful of what we are doing and treat the earth
with respect all of those things I understand and agree with.
The sour point for me comes when the voices start saying they can change climate change
itself. The world goes from hot to cold on a constant basis and there is little we can do to
prevent Mother Nature from doing her thing To suggest we can do this and have the world
remain the same is nonsense.
What can we do? Perhaps slow it down with the man made problems but even there it is
likely not going to happen. I agree to some measure we need to cooperate but the whole
environmental thing has lost it credibility. It went from being good to the planet to demanding
I buy a new fridge and when that happened along with the endless fundraising to make more
demands on my pocketbook I tuned out long ago

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Some strong statements here. They would be eating a lot of crow and putting their respective parties in jeopardy if this was just blow hard politics.

“In light of the overwhelming scientific consensus on climate change and its worsening impacts, and the related issue of air pollution from burning fossil fuels, the United States and China recognize the urgent need for action to meet these twin challenges,” the countries said in the statement. “Both sides reaffirm their commitment to contribute significantly to successful 2015 global efforts to meet this challenge.”

The two countries, which established a working group last year to tackle climate change, said they would “devote significant effort and resources to secure concrete results” by the time they meet for a strategic and economic dialogue later this year.

They also agreed to share information on their respective post-2020 plans to limit greenhouse-gas emissions.

U.S., China pledge cooperation on climate change - The Washington Post

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do you feel better after being lied to?

India is building more nukes too. Incase you forgot, they are industrializing at a tremendous pace.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I pledge to you I'll cooperate- China
I pledge to you I'll cooperate- US

Back to our scheduled programming.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Or do you mean the 20 nukes to be running in 6 years and expanding their grid by 80%? Is that what you're after?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
No, the planet where lead is a liquid on the surface.

The Venusians ignored all the warnings about VGW (Venusagenic Global Warming). Now what do they have? Liquid lead.

Tried to warn ya, but did you listen? NOOOOOooooooo. . .

Cup of lead?

Sounds interesting.

You think that we might be able to develop a niche market for eco-tourism on Venus?

Hell, they were lining-up and paying top dollar to get stuck in the ice in the Antarctic... At very least, we'd be able to get a bunch of eco-fanatics to focus their attention there