China Dumps $50 Billion in US Treasury Paper

Locutus
Leaving Europe to Pick Up Slack

Some are saying that this latest dump by Beijing is indicative of a larger trend – of buyers remorse, as Asia moves to limit its exposure from a coming collapse of the US dollar as the world reserve currency.

So, as China and Japan back off of the dollar, we see Belgium moving in to pick up the difference on a US paper shortfall. Interesting.

Maybe it’s payback (or ponzi pay-dirt?) time for Europe, who were bailed out during the Wall Street TARP affair and mortgage-backed securities ’buyback scheme’.
With so much toxic and no-hope debt floating around Europe, maybe those stacks of thin US Treasuries look like the lesser of two evils?

We’ll see, but this is definitely a shift in trends…

Shocker: China Dumps $50 Billion in US Treasury Paper, Leaving Europe to Pick Up Slack

petros
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote:

a coming collapse of the US dollar as the world reserve currency.

The US oil dollar is a hot potato.

It's time to buy silver and gold again.

mentalfloss
Free market.

petros
Awesome for those who take a few hours week to keep up and jostle. There is a sector of the economy that has had $63B invested into it last year and as much this year. You could set yourself up nice.

Liberalman
I am sure other investors will snap up that money

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Of course but it wouldn't make such a cool headline,

darkbeaver
Republican

That's why your never going to manage my investment portfolio.

MHz
China should dump it all and demand payment for the money the US owes them, that would pretty much end all the squabbling and we get our new 5th world country a bit ahead of schedule.

(in part)
China, which owned an estimated $1.317 trillion in U.S. Treasuries, is the number-one investor among foreign governments, according to the November 2013 figures released by the U.S. Treasury. This amounts to over 23.1% of the U.S. debt held overseas and about 7.5% of the United States’ total debt load.
http://bonds.about.com/od/bondinvest.../Chinadebt.htm

No doubt it will be the American taxpayer.

BaalsTears
+1 / -1
America is becoming the Weimar Republic.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

China should dump it all and demand payment for the money the US owes them, that would pretty much end all the squabbling and we get our new 5th world country a bit ahead of schedule.

China has already been buying assets using the T-bills as (100%) collateral.

Obviously a wash-trade and the US Fed Reserve is now stuck with that useless paper

Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Sad to watch the metamorphosis in real time

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

History's repeating again, the same scam goes back to the dawn of banking. I imagine you're familiar with the way it works.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

That's why your never going to manage my investment portfolio.

Your Loss

Goober
Free Thinker
Can anyone explain why the Chinese would bring on a world wide depression by dumping US T Notes?
Thought so.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Can anyone explain why the Chinese would bring on a world wide depression by dumping US T Notes?
Thought so.

To cushion China from the effects of economic collapse.

Goober
Free Thinker

To cushion China from the effects of economic collapse.

They are already headed that way. Check out the debt the cities and provinces hold for inflated real estate.
A couple of trillion dollars in manufacturing assets sitting idle.
Empty Cities built, rows (miles) of apartments empty, infrastructure not used.
Makes their Foreign Currency reserves pale by comparison.

eh1eh
50 billion? Maybe that was Sochi paper. lol.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1

They are already headed that way. Check out the debt the cities and provinces hold for inflated real estate.

I didn't say it would save them just cushion the blow. I don't think there's many countries that will be immune to this disaster, some will swim most will sink. Bankers will become hunted criminals, there should be no place on earth safe for them.

Goober
Free Thinker
+1

I didn't say it would save them just cushion the blow. I don't think there's many countries that will be immune to this disaster, some will swim most will sink. Bankers will become hunted criminals, there should be no place on earth safe for them.

No country is immune- If a depression hits- the Chinese will have another internal revolution on their hands.
And the Govt will lose.
Lamp posts will be popular trial areas. Shortage of rope is my prediction.

Trex

Just finished renewing your mortgage or applying for a credit card I presume?

Toro
+1
It doesn't mean anything. US Treasury holdings by China has fluctuated over time. Plus, China needs liquidity given the problems in their financial markets.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by ToroView Post

It doesn't mean anything. US Treasury holdings by China has fluctuated over time. Plus, China needs liquidity given the problems in their financial markets.

Correct- They have enough internal financial problems as it is.

BaalsTears
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Sad to watch the metamorphosis in real time

Boy is it ever. I think there have been similar times, e.g., the transition from the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire. But this is a bitter pill to swallow for those of us who grew up in the immediate aftermath of WWII. We knew the apogee, and are living the nadir.

History's repeating again, the same scam goes back to the dawn of banking. I imagine you're familiar with the way it works.

Yeah, unfortunately so. It's really disheartening. I find consolation in family, friends, ideas and detachment from Uncle Sam. If I hadn't detached my emotions from old Uncle Sam I would be very melancholy and much less charming than I am.

Thought so.

The Chinese, imo, hope they can tip toe out the door before the floor collapses. Hope springs eternal.

The Chinese Communists have an army and will use it against their own people if necessary. What China has going for it is a cultural/ethnic unifying principle that acts as a centripetal force.