UK: Three senior Labour pols campaigned for pedophile group in the 1980’s

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via bcf

On page 6 of the document it is argued that ‘a person aged 14 or over should be legally capable of giving consent’ and the age of sexual consent cut to ten ‘if the child understood the nature of the act’

Appearing in the pages of a Left-wing magazine called Rights, it was, by any account, an extraordinary letter.

Written by one Mike Morten, who lived in London and described himself as ‘both a paedophile and gay’, the letter complained that laws forbidding him from having sex with children ‘interfere with my life and civil liberties’.

‘Consensual sex between adults and children is simply people of different age groups being nice to each other,’ it argued. Morten then criticised recent newspaper articles which had described perpetrators of child sex offences as ‘molesters’.

The letter was dated October 1982, and today his words seem so bizarre, so appalling, that a casual reader could be forgiven for wondering if they are a grotesque spoof.

One of a string of AGM motions filed by NCCL employee Nettie Pollard supporting the Paedophile Information Exchange's agenda

The now dog-eared 1982 magazine, which I have unearthed in archives, was the quarterly journal of the National Council for Civil Liberties (NCCL), the well-known lobby group which is now called Liberty.

Known as a radical campaigning organisation, the NCCL was that year being run by three tub-thumping young Left-wingers who would rise to extremely senior positions in the Labour Party.

One was Patricia Hewitt, who as general secretary of the NCCL from 1974 to 1983 was at the helm of the organisation. She went on to become Tony Blair’s Health Secretary, and nowadays has a lucrative seat as a non-executive director on the board of BT earning £160,000 a year for a part-time job.

[...]

Another was Harriet Harman, the current Labour Deputy Leader. She served as its legal officer from 1978 until October 28, 1982, when she won a by-election and entered Parliament as the MP for Camberwell and Peckham...

more

Labour's child sex apologists: 3 of party's senior figures campaigned for paedophile group | Mail Online

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I guess those three lefties believed in free speech. Isn't the left often criticised for not being proponents of free speech?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I guess those three lefties believed in free speech. Isn't the left often criticised for not being proponents of free speech?

Free speech- yeah- You defend these perverts all you want.

Appearing in the pages of a Left-wing magazine called Rights, it was, by any account, an extraordinary letter.

Written by one Mike Morten, who lived in London and described himself as ‘both a paedophile and gay’, the letter complained that laws forbidding him from having sex with children ‘interfere with my life and civil liberties’.

That is a keeper for the S&G Thread.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I got as far as this: "the age of sexual consent cut to ten ‘if the child understood the nature of the act’ " and felt like giving the monitor a smack upside the head. Since when does a child of 10 understand all the ramifications of sexual activities and parenthood? And if they DO understand all that, they should be able to understand everything involved in governing a nation that would vest that much power in them. Unf'nreal. Ditch the fool who suggested such a thing. And that has nothing to do with free speech and everything to do with good sense.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I got as far as this: "the age of sexual consent cut to ten ‘if the child understood the nature of the act’ " and felt like giving the monitor a smack upside the head. Since when does a child of 10 understand all the ramifications of sexual activities and parenthood? And if they DO understand all that, they should be able to understand everything involved in governing a nation that would vest that much power in them. Unf'nreal. Ditch the fool who suggested such a thing. And that has nothing to do with free speech and everything to do with good sense.

You got farther that I did before I was revolted.
One would call this free speech- myself I differ- but it brings those 3 and others into the public light where they breakdown like compost.
The Internet is forever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I got as far as this: "the age of sexual consent cut to ten ‘if the child understood the nature of the act’ " and felt like giving the monitor a smack upside the head. Since when does a child of 10 understand all the ramifications of sexual activities and parenthood?
From what I've seen, if understanding "all the ramifications of sexual activities and parenthood" is going to be the standard, we'll have to raise the age of consent to about 43. Or higher.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
From what I've seen, if understanding "all the ramifications of sexual activities and parenthood" is going to be the standard, we'll have to raise the age of consent to about 43. Or higher.

Nope- Studies show that males sperm degrades after a certain age resulting in increased genetic defects with the child.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You got farther that I did before I was revolted.
One would call this free speech- myself I differ- but it brings those 3 and others into the public light where they breakdown like compost.
The Internet is forever.

I see you're avoiding the question. Das should be here any minute with some dancing guy.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That would make more sense than what these cretins proposed ..... even back then.

Not "these"...."he". It was one guy that wrote the letter. They were just willing to publish it. Perhaps they just agreed that he had the right to his opinion. Some people believe in free speech even if they don't like what is being said. I consider myself one of those and I do wonder about the motivations behind the OP.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think the topic has more to do with age of consent, sexual interference, etc. than it has to do with freedom of speech. How bout sticking with the topic?

Not "these"...."he". It was one guy that wrote the letter. They were just willing to publish it. Perhaps they just agreed that he had the right to his opinion. Some people believe in free speech even if they don't like what is being said. I consider myself one of those and I do wonder about the motivations behind the OP.
"One of a string of AGM motions filed by NCCL employee Nettie Pollard supporting the Paedophile Information Exchange's agenda "

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think the topic has more to do with age of consent, sexual interference, etc. than it has to do with freedom of speech. How bout sticking with the topic?

It is the topic. These people are being criticised for this guys letter. There is nothing in the OP that stated they supported the reduction in the age of consent. The title of the thread is ..."three senior Labour pols"... perhaps you should have read it before you started telling others what the topic was or wasn't about.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It is the topic. These people are being criticised for this guys letter. There is nothing in the OP that stated they supported the reduction in the age of consent. The title of the thread is ..."three senior Labour pols"... perhaps you should have read it before you started telling others what the topic was or wasn't about.
You missed it again, I guess. "One of a string of AGM motions filed by NCCL employee Nettie Pollard supporting the Paedophile Information Exchange's agenda" Nothing in the OP stated they supported the reduction in the age of consent, huh? The title of the thread is "three senior Labour pols ...campaigned FOR ped"