Did A Canadian, not Reagan, cause the 'Wall to Fall'?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Catalyst for Russian perestroika - "the walk that changed the world"

During his last term as Minister of Agriculture, Whelan became good friends with Aleksandr Yakovlev, then the USSR's Ambassador to Canada, as both men were ardent agriculturalists. The relationship became so close that Pierre Trudeau called him in to give assurance that he had not divulged any national secrets, as Whelan was a member of the Cabinet defence committee.

When Mikhail Gorbachev, then Soviet Minister of Agriculture, came to Canada in 1983, Yakovlev connected Gorbachev with Whelan, who arranged a three-week tour across Canada for both Soviet officials, accompanied fully by Whelan. In 2013, Jean Chrétien recalled Gorbachev experiencing Canada up close, when the tour came to Windsor:

He came to Windsor and introduced him to the life of a Canadian,” Chretien said. “He was amazed at the food processing in Canada, to have all the food available so quickly. Later on, they were driving and he was marvelling to see two cars in front of every house.”
The group stopped in front of one blue-collar home.“Gorbachev said, ‘Do you know them?’ And Gene said, ‘I don’t know them, but they know me,’” Chretien recalled. “So they knocked on the door and went into the house. Gorbachev was very impressed by that.”[

At the end of that tour, the Whelans hosted a farewell reception for Gorbachev at their Amherstburg home on the evening of 19 May 1983, but Whelan himself was delayed in arriving. In what has since been called "the walk that changed the world", Yakovlev and Gorbachev took a walk in a nearby orchard, strolled among saplings and then past fields of corn, soy and wheat, had an earnest discussion, and resolved that the old ways in the USSR had to end.

According to Yakovlev's own words, this was where perestroika was born, with 80% of its features covered in that brief time in Whelan's back yard.

In an interview years later, Yakovlev recalled:

At first we kind of sniffed around each other and our conversations didn't touch on serious issues. And then, verily, history plays tricks on one, we had a lot of time together as guests of then Liberal Minister of Agriculture Eugene Whelan in Canada who, himself, was too late for the reception because he was stuck with some striking farmers somewhere.

So we took a long walk on that Minister's farm and, as it often happens, both of us suddenly were just kind of flooded and let go. I somehow, for some reason, threw caution to the wind and started telling him about what I considered to be utter stupidities in the area of foreign affairs, especially about those SS-20 missiles that were being stationed in Europe and a lot of other things. And he did the same thing.

We were completely frank. He frankly talked about the problems in the internal situation in Russia. He was saying that under these conditions, the conditions of dictatorship and absence of freedom, the country would simply perish. So it was at that time, during our three-hour conversation, almost as if our heads were knocked together, that we poured it all out and during that three-hour conversation we actually came to agreement on all our main points

Eugene Whelan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Soviet incompetence likely played a bigger role. With or without the west that thing was coming down sooner or later.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Soviet incompetence likely played a bigger role. With or without the west that thing was coming down sooner or later.
It was coal miners in Ukraine who went on strike and crippled industry. It was Unions that did it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It was coal miners in Ukraine who went on strike and crippled industry. It was Unions that did it.

And lucky for them the authorities were too weak to do anything about it. If Stalin had been around it would have been a bloodbath.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This guy helped a bit as well...

As to the OPs claim.... not.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He was just one of hundreds of who pushed for Unions and was discovered by fluke by media then made an icon in the West.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I'm so sick of hearing that Reagan caused the collapse of Communism by bankrupting America with an inane military buildup.

Communism imploded of it owns volition, it was a moral, social and economic failure. All the dynamics of the fall were internal.. and that doddering fool Reagan had nothing to do with it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'm so sick of hearing that Reagan caused the collapse of Communism by bankrupting America with an inane military buildup.

Never heard that angle.

Communism imploded of it owns volition, it was a moral, social and economic failure. All the dynamics of the fall were internal.. and that doddering fool Reagan had nothing to do with it.

He had a lot to do with it. It did not implode on its own. I know it hurts but hey... it is what it is.

He was just one of hundreds of who pushed for Unions and was discovered by fluke by media then made an icon in the West.

Yup... that happens.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If we are talking about the Berlin wall falling neither Canada or the US had much influence on it. According to my wife , who is from Germany and lived there when the wall fell it was mostly incompetence on the part of East German security. They had been told that there was to be an easing of restrictions on travel but didn't know the date. Need to know info. Apparently the guards didn't. SO when a bunch of people stormed the gates the guards thought it was visiting day. By the time they figured out what was really happening it was too late to turn back. Besides which a good number of the guards were tired of not getting paid and the poor food when the other side had so much.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Soldiers weren't getting paid either. They had no intentions of following orders.

ha. That was never an issue for Stalin. He wiped out the officer core during peace time and had the army fire on its own soldiers if they took one step back.

Besides which a good number of the guards were tired of not getting paid and the poor food when the other side had so much.

Yeah staring at that for decades likely did make them want to get more. Makes me wonder about the North Korean guards on the 38th parallel. Unlike the average citizen in the country these guards can see right over at how the other side does things.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If we are talking about the Berlin wall falling neither Canada or the US had much influence on it. According to my wife , who is from Germany and lived there when the wall fell it was mostly incompetence on the part of East German security. They had been told that there was to be an easing of restrictions on travel but didn't know the date. Need to know info. Apparently the guards didn't. SO when a bunch of people stormed the gates the guards thought it was visiting day. By the time they figured out what was really happening it was too late to turn back. Besides which a good number of the guards were tired of not getting paid and the poor food when the other side had so much.

There were events leading up to that one day. A miscommunication on November 9, 1989 wasn't the reason for the fall... just the end result.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Never heard that angle.

He had a lot to do with it. It did not implode on its own. I know it hurts but hey... it is what it is.

That's all i heard for years after the Soviet Union collapsed.. that the response to the massive American military buildup.. bankrupted Communism. It a re-writing of history by Republican operatives and those foolish enough to think a witless, sentimental buffoon like Reagan was capable of any kind of farsighted and integrated strategic thought. The ONLY dynamic that did the USSR in was the moral failure of Communism to deliver on its promises or produce a just and prosperous society. Reagan had NOTHING to do with its collapse.

It was Reagan with his mindless petty libertarian ideology who wrecked the U.S. economy on the back of the disastrous Free Trade and Free Market policies (monetarism, de-regulation, privatization), which he initiated and which still rule the U.S economy today. Reagan rightly deserves the blame for the collapse of American prosperity.. the vast polarization of weath.. the death of manufacturing.. but only as a co-conspirator. of the Global Trading and Financial Oligarchies that have bought every U.S. President for the last 45 years.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That's all i heard for years after the Soviet Union collapsed.. .

Of course it is all you heard because it was the truth. And that pi**d you and the revisionist off. It is the liberal left's attempt at revisionism... it is how they work.

And they failed because here you are still.