Scathing UN report demands Vatican action on abuse

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

The United Nations has demanded the Vatican "immediately remove" all clergy who are known or suspected child abusers and turn them over to civil authorities, in an unprecedented and scathing report.

The UN watchdog for children's rights said the Holy See should also hand over its archives on sexual abuse of tens of thousands of children so that culprits, as well as "those who concealed their crimes", could be held accountable.

The watchdog's exceptionally blunt paper, the most far-reaching critique of the Church hierarchy by the world body, followed its public grilling of Vatican officials last month.

"The Committee is gravely concerned that the Holy See has not acknowledged the extent of the crimes committed, has not taken the necessary measures to address cases of child sexual abuse and to protect children, and has adopted policies and practices which have led to the continuation of the abuse by and the impunity of the perpetrators," the report said.

The Vatican was expected to issue a statement on the report later.

The UN committee on the Rights of the Child said the Catholic Church had not yet taken measures to prevent a repeat of cases such as the Magdalene laundries scandal, where girls were arbitrarily placed in conditions of forced labour.

It called for an internal investigation of the laundries and similar institutions so that whose who were responsible could be prosecuted and that "full compensation be paid to the victims and their families".

A commission created by Pope Francis in December should investigate all cases of child sexual abuse "as well as the conduct of the Catholic hierarchy in dealing with them," the report said.

Abusers had been moved from parish to parish or other countries "in an attempt to cover-up such crimes," it added.

"Due to a code of silence imposed on all members of the clergy under penalty of excommunication, cases of child sexual abuse have hardly ever been reported to the law enforcement authorities in the countries where such crimes occurred," theU.N. body said.

At a public session last month, the committee pushed Vatican delegates to reveal the scope of the decades-long sexual abuse of minors by Roman Catholic priests that Pope Francis called "the shame of the Church".

The Holy See's delegation, answering questions from an international rights panel for the first time since the scandals broke more than two decades ago, denied allegations of a Vatican cover-up and said it had set clear guidelines to protect children from predator priests.

UN demands Vatican turn over abusers to police - RTÉ Sport

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Getting this kind of info out of the Vatican will be a long, bitter, fight, if they can get it at all.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Getting this kind of info out of the Vatican will be a long, bitter, fight, if they can get it at all.

It took long enough for the Canadian T&C Commission to get info out of Canadian Government archives, and that's with all our transparecy laws.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What a laugh... The UN with their rogues gallery of brutal dictators and torturers, proven violators of human rights, are pointing the finger away from themselves and at another group.

Just more proof-positive that the UN is as useless as teats on a bull

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

The United Nations has demanded the Vatican "immediately remove" all clergy who are known or suspected child abusers and turn them over to civil authorities, in an unprecedented and scathing report.
Uh-oh. Better get on it RIGHT NOW, Frankie! If you don't, the UN is likely to. . . um. . . well, I don't know what, but it'll be harsh, that's for sure!

The watchdog's exceptionally blunt paper, the most far-reaching critique of the Church hierarchy by the world body, followed its public grilling of Vatican officials last month.
I'm impressed. It only took them a decade after the priest sex abuse scandal became widely known to take firm, decisive action.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Who's Frankie?

And yes, the UN is slow, but it's only because this problem has become so widespread.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Tis to laugh, the UN passing moral judgement.

How could anyone not know of the UN's multiple sins.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So basically we write this off because it's too late and UN is some evil corporation all of a sudden.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Remember the UN's Food-For-Oil program they had for Iraq?

As the various fat cat administrators marked-up the value of the food items for the personal gain of themselves and friends, a tin of beans was being 'traded for oil' for hundreds of dollars a can.

yep, that UN sure did a bang-up job on that one.

I expect that the only reason that the UN is working feverishly to redirect everyone's attention is because they are expecting some scandal in their organization to come to light very soon

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The UN is only there to buffer the real world from the wants of the 'security council'.
What has the (UN arm) IAEA done in the last decade, 1,000's of hours demonizing Iran and 10 minutes in Japan in the last few years and that was just to pick up whatever TEPCO wanted to publish.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
No one wants to get rid of child rapists posing as priests more than the Vatican.

They are rightly suspicious, however, of anything that comes from the U.N. with it's radical population reduction agenda.. framed around abortion, euthenasia, contraception, homosexuality.. and destruction of the nuclear family.. all framed as 'human rights'. It's why they've never applied for formal membership as a sovereign country.. and maintain an Observer status only.

I'm sure they'll file this away.. and continue to take advice from a more reliable Source.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No one wants to get rid of child rapists posing as priests more than the Vatican.

So you are saying that no Catholic priest or nun (Ireland's Magdelene launderies) has ever abused a child and that all these abusers were just pretending to be Catholic priests and nuns?

So we should ignore the crimes of a rotten institution, of which the child abuse scandal is just one part, because the UN is corrupt?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I can accept an incompetent UN but there is no scandal.

And why do the detractors avoid the real story here?

Why be afraid of the truth?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I can accept an incompetent UN but there is no scandal.

And why do the detractors avoid the real story here?

Why be afraid of the truth?
Part of the story is an attack on their Religious beliefs.

Myself I will wait for Pope Francis to address this.

Media director for U.S. Bishops: UN child protection report "a lost opportunity"
She highlighted efforts both in the United States and at the Vatican to eliminate cases of sexual abuse by the clergy and to bring offenders to justice. She also pointed out efforts by the Church to support victims of abuse.
The UN’s report, Walsh said, “is weakened by including objections to Catholic teaching on such issues as gay marriage, abortion and contraception.” These objections, she said, “seem to violate the U.N.’s obligation from its earliest days to defend religious freedom.”

A report from the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child highlights the problem of sexual abuse of minors by clergy. Unfortunately the report is weakened by including objections to Catholic teaching on such issues as gay marriage, abortion and contraception. This seems to violate the U.N.’s obligation from its earliest days to defend religious freedom. In 1948, the organization adopted its Universal Declaration of Human Rights that declared that “everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.” Certainly the U.N. charge to defend religious freedom includes defending the Church’s right to determine its own teachings. Defense of religious freedom is no small matter in a world where people, including children, get murdered for simply going to church. That’s what happened last September when militants killed 81 people, including children, attending Sunday school at a Christian church in Peshawar, Pakistan.
The Committee on the Rights of the Child is correct to voice concern over sexual abuse and is to be commended for its efforts. It would have credibility, however, if it also worked to protect the most basic right of a child: the right to live. Would that it made headlines because of concern for minors being trafficked in the world’s sex trade and children dying from starvation and dysentery from impure water. When the U.N. committee strays into the culture wars to promote abortion, contraceptives and gay marriage, it undermines its noble cause and trades concern for children to concern for organizations with other agendas. What a lost opportunity.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Part of the story is an attack on their Religious beliefs.

Myself I will wait for Pope Francis to address this.

I defy anyone to provide an example of any religion, philosophy, profession or culture that does not have the same issue/problem as the UN deems exclusively as a problem within the Catholic church. The Vatican is targeted because they are the recognized head of that church as well as the belief that they have the cash to pay-out.

The UN, on the other hand, hand picks and invites some of the world's worst violators of ALL human rights into their bosom and pretends that they have clean hands... Add to this the day-to-day frauds that they themselves perpetuate with the food-for-oil fiasco or the climate change horse sh*t that they so desperately want to leverage for a special 'UN tax'... Hell, on the AGW file alone, they have lied to the entire globe and were caught many times.

So, now it's time to deflect attention somewhere else and as the Catholics have meekly accepted this unique form of exclusive branding for so long, the UN figures that they should just jump on the dog pile

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The United Nations has demanded the Vatican "immediately remove" ... suspected child abusers...

Wait, what? The UN expects people to be terminated from their careers over suspicions? Where is the legality in that?

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Vatican take their hands off these cases, and make sure that each and every accusation is handed to local authorities for a proper trial. But, firing people for being accused is a step over the line.