Climate change: 2013 ranked 4th warmest year


mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#1  Top Rated Post
Climate change: 2013 ranked 4th warmest year

Last year was one of the warmest ever recorded on Earth since scientists began keeping global average temperature stats 134 years ago, climate experts from two U.S. agencies revealed today.

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) ranked 2013 as being the fourth-warmest year ever, tied with 2003. NASA, which conducted its own report and processed the data sets differently, declared 2013 to be the seventh warmest year since 1880.

Despite the difference in rankings between the two agencies, the data "clearly makes this decade the warmest in historical period," Gavin Schmidt, deputy director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told reporters in a teleconference.

Schmidt noted that both analyses are actually very similar.

"The difference between the joint fourth place and the joint seventh place is within 0.02 C of a degree," he said, adding that NASA processes its data differently than NOAA.

NASA and NOAA are the keepers of the world's climate data. Each year, both agencies produce independent reports charting the planet's temperature changes, matched against historical data.

The annual reports are considered to be state of the climate addresses and help to give scientists a big-picture overview of the effects of global warming.

9 out of 10 warmest years were in 2000s
In NOAA's annual global analyses, researchers put the average world temperature (combined land and ocean surface temperatures) last year at 14.52 C.

That was 0.62 C above the 20th-century average of 13.9 C, making 2013 the 37th consecutive year that the yearly global temperature exceeded the average.

The global land temperature was just shy of 1 C (0.99 C) above the 20th-century average, according to NOAA.

Both NOAA and NASA said that nine out of 10 of the warmest years ever recorded between 1880 and 2013 were within the last 13 years. Only one entry prior to the 2000s, the year 1998, cracked the top 10.

The hottest recorded year so far was in 2010, when a temperature anomaly of 0.66 C was recorded above the 20th-century average. It topped both NOAA and NASA's lists.

Tom Karl, director of NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, told reporters that as the world continues to warm, high latitudes generally get wetter and the subtropics get drier.

"We saw, for example, in Brazil they had severe droughts for the second consecutive year, in many ways it was probably the worst in the past 50 years. We had an early onset to the southwest Indian monsoon, some of the worst flooding in the past half century," he said.

Warmer winter, spring in Canada
"Even though we had, on balance, a rather average-looking precipitation year, certainly in some parts we had far too much rain and in other parts far too little."

NOAA's analysis said Canada experienced a warmer-than-average winter and spring, as well as the eighth-warmest summer on record.

North America as a whole was hotter than normal in 2013, with Alaska having its second-warmest winter on record.

However, Karl said that some parts of the U.S. experienced cooler-than-average temperatures, due to the cooling effects of La Nina in the eastern Pacific and significant rainfall during the warmer months of the year.

A NOAA map showing global precipitation trends showed that a section of southern and central Canada was the wettest on record in 2013, while a region of coastal western Canada was the driest.

In recent years, parts of Asia, Africa, Australia and the Arctic in particular have undergone dramatic warming.

Climate change: 2013 ranked 4th warmest year
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Climate change: 2013 ranked 4th warmest year

Last year was one of the warmest ever recorded on Earth since scientists began keeping global average temperature stats 134 years ago, climate experts from two U.S. agencies revealed today.

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) ranked 2013 as being the fourth-warmest year ever, tied with 2003. NASA, which conducted its own report and processed the data sets differently, declared 2013 to be the seventh warmest year since 1880.

Despite the difference in rankings between the two agencies, the data "clearly makes this decade the warmest in historical period," Gavin Schmidt, deputy director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told reporters in a teleconference.

Schmidt noted that both analyses are actually very similar.

"The difference between the joint fourth place and the joint seventh place is within 0.02 C of a degree," he said, adding that NASA processes its data differently than NOAA.

NASA and NOAA are the keepers of the world's climate data. Each year, both agencies produce independent reports charting the planet's temperature changes, matched against historical data.

The annual reports are considered to be state of the climate addresses and help to give scientists a big-picture overview of the effects of global warming.

9 out of 10 warmest years were in 2000s
In NOAA's annual global analyses, researchers put the average world temperature (combined land and ocean surface temperatures) last year at 14.52 C.

That was 0.62 C above the 20th-century average of 13.9 C, making 2013 the 37th consecutive year that the yearly global temperature exceeded the average.

The global land temperature was just shy of 1 C (0.99 C) above the 20th-century average, according to NOAA.

Both NOAA and NASA said that nine out of 10 of the warmest years ever recorded between 1880 and 2013 were within the last 13 years. Only one entry prior to the 2000s, the year 1998, cracked the top 10.


NASA and NOAA released their 2013 annual temperature maps, showing global temperature anomalies.
The hottest recorded year so far was in 2010, when a temperature anomaly of 0.66 C was recorded above the 20th-century average. It topped both NOAA and NASA's lists.

Tom Karl, director of NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, told reporters that as the world continues to warm, high latitudes generally get wetter and the subtropics get drier.

"We saw, for example, in Brazil they had severe droughts for the second consecutive year, in many ways it was probably the worst in the past 50 years. We had an early onset to the southwest Indian monsoon, some of the worst flooding in the past half century," he said.

Warmer winter, spring in Canada
"Even though we had, on balance, a rather average-looking precipitation year, certainly in some parts we had far too much rain and in other parts far too little."

NOAA's analysis said Canada experienced a warmer-than-average winter and spring, as well as the eighth-warmest summer on record.

North America as a whole was hotter than normal in 2013, with Alaska having its second-warmest winter on record.

However, Karl said that some parts of the U.S. experienced cooler-than-average temperatures, due to the cooling effects of La Nina in the eastern Pacific and significant rainfall during the warmer months of the year.

A NOAA map showing global precipitation trends showed that a section of southern and central Canada was the wettest on record in 2013, while a region of coastal western Canada was the driest.

In recent years, parts of Asia, Africa, Australia and the Arctic in particular have undergone dramatic warming.

CBCNews.ca Mobile


Yep, and there are going to be warmer (and colder) ones to come! -
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post


Warmer winter, spring in Canada


That's a laugh
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#4
But it's cold today. Therefore, global warming is a hoax.
 
petros
#5
We should be warmest if the theories are correct.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We should be warmest if the theories are correct.

Do theories predict that each year will necessarily be warmer than the last?
 
petros
+1
#7
Have we beat out the 1930s yet?
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

But it's cold today. Therefore, global warming is a hoax.

Cold all throughout the NorAm area... Has been for the better part of the season.

Canada has experienced record lows, ice storms, huge snowfall, and let's not forget - the Polar Vortex (PV is extra special as it has been given a special moniker that is coincidentally quite a catchy phrase)

So, tell me again how the article that states directly that Canada is to experience a warmer winter and spring has any merit whatsoever.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

So, tell me again how the article that states directly that Canada is to experience a warmer winter and spring has any merit whatsoever.

Was that to me? I don't know that it does.
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Cold all throughout the NorAm area... Has been for the better part of the season.

Canada has experienced record lows, ice storms, huge snowfall, and let's not forget - the Polar Vortex (PV is extra special as it has been given a special moniker that is coincidentally quite a catchy phrase)

So, tell me again how the article that states directly that Canada is to experience a warmer winter and spring has any merit whatsoever.

Another Arctic low. Have you seen the Northern Lights this year? Wicked!
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Was that to me? I don't know that it does.

It was. I might have misinterpreted your comment.

Opps

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Another Arctic low.

All part of a natural cycle as far as I'm concerned

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Have you seen the Northern Lights this year? Wicked!

Can't see them too clearly from YYC, but I have heard that they are spectacular.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

But it's cold today. Therefore, global warming is a hoax.

And it was warm last year (4th warmest on record according to OP) therefore it must be real.
 
petros
#13
When was the warmest?
 
Blackleaf
#14
Quote:

Climate change: 2013 ranked 4th warmest year

By whose dubious methods?

Those of us with common sense have learned not to take much notice of such stats produced by Warmists ever since the University of East Anglia Climategate scandal.
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

By whose dubious methods?

By saying "land temperature" instead of overall.
 
Blackleaf
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

By saying "land temperature" instead of overall.


We knew Global Warming wasn't real when the Warmists went from saying "Global Warming" to saying "Climate Change". That way the Warmists are therefore encompassing all the colder temperatures that that they weren't expecting.
 
petros
#17
Fear sells everything these days.
 
Blackleaf
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Fear sells everything these days.



And it gives them an excuse to raise taxes.
 
petros
+1
#19
To pay for natural gas infrastructure while blowing up any Muzzies that stand in our way in doing so. Blowing up Muzzies makes the world produce 60% less emissions using natural gas turbines to make iPhones and light up TVs.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

And it was warm last year (4th warmest on record according to OP) therefore it must be real.

It's real when it's hot and a hoax when it's cold. That seems to be the level of the debate.
 
mentalfloss
No Party Affiliation
+1
#21
It also notes that this last decade is the hottest on record.

In fact 9 out of the 10 last years are the hottest years we've experienced.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+1
#22

Michio Kaku Talks about Climate Changewmv - YouTube



Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

It's real when it's hot and a hoax when it's cold. That seems to be the level of the debate.


On line, perhaps, but not among the scientific community.
 
Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

It's real when it's hot and a hoax when it's cold. That seems to be the level of the debate.

It makes sense once you disabuse yourself of the notion that humans are a rational animal. While we are capable of rationality, we rarely use that capacity.
 
Blackleaf
#24
Global Warming?

Some people will be able to remember the Global COOLING scaremongering of the 1970s, something which the climate scientists had "consensus" on apparently.

And, just like what will eventually happen to the current Global Warming scaremongering, the Global Cooling scaremongering eventually fizzled out and was forgotten about:


1970s Global Cooling Scare

NCAR newsweek_coolingworld.pdf


National Academy Of Sciences Science News



The Milwaukee Sentinel – Google News Archive Search


Every major climate organization endorsed the ice age scare, including NCAR, CRU, NAS, NASA – as did the CIA.



The Windsor Star – Google News Archive Search





http://news.google.com/newspapers/



Lakeland Ledger – Google News Archive Search





The Bryan Times


The Spokesman-Review – Google News Archive Search





Problems From Climate Changes Foreseen in a 1974 C.I.A Report – View Article –
NYTimes.com






http://select.nytimes.com





FORECAST FOR – FORECASTING – CLOUDY In the long term, climate is cooling off-or is it warming up? As for tomorrow’s weather, even the world’s biggest computer can’t sayfor sure what it will be. Forecasting ‘ A really accurate three-day weather forecast would result in savings of $86-million a year just for growersof wheat in the state of Wisconsin.’ – View Article – NYTimes.com




…That’s the News. And Now for San Juan’s Weather… – View Article – NYTimes.com



ICE AGES ATTRIBUTED TO EARTH ORBIT SHIFT – Scientists Find Periodic Changes in Path Around Sun ‘Positive Test’ of Climatic Theory – View Article – NYTimes.com




documents.theblackvault.com/documents/environment/potentialtrends.pdf





Middlesboro Daily News – Google News Archive Search





The Milwaukee Journal – Google News Archive Search





Science – Worrying About a New Ice Age – View Article – NYTimes.com



The Deseret News – Google News Archive Search

In the last decade, the Arctic ice and snow cap has expanded 12 per cent, and for the first time in this century. ships making for Iceland ports have been impeded by drifting ice.

Chicago Tribune Mar 2, 1975



CIA Report 1974


</b>


http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:56 PM..
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

It makes sense once you disabuse yourself of the notion that humans are a rational animal. While we are capable of rationality, we rarely use that capacity.


Yeah, I can see what you mean whenever you post, which must be instinktive automatic and programed by yer genes alone I guess.
 
Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post


Yeah, I can see what you mean whenever you post, which must be instinktive automatic and programed by yer genes alone I guess.

Programmed by my genes or the result of random quantum fluctuations. depends if you believe in a random quantum universe or a deterministic one.

Rationallity is work. You actually burn more calories when asked to, say, muttiply two two-digit numbers in your head. Human beings naturally try to conserve energy, so we guide the vast majority of our thinking through our intuitions. Intuition is more a system of heuristics that guide us effcienctly for most real-world scenarios, for the most part. Intuition is subject to several known biases though.

A bat and a ball cost $1.10
A bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
How much does the ball cost?

If you answer quickly (intuitive) and methodically (rational) you get two different answers, normally.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#27
Whew, the ball costs 5 cents. I should have something to eat now.
 
no new posts