Should Canada and the US form a common labour market?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember asking this question when the Canadian employment rate was much better than that of the US, in anticipation of the fact that things chance. Many opposed the idea as ridiculous since the US had a much higher unemployment rate than Canada did.

Now that it appears the situation may end up going in the reverse direction, I was wondering people's ideas now concerning the diea of a common Canada-US labour market?

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
No, the only time the US signs those types of treaties it backfires on the other country. The US will be the only country to profit . You do know that Mexicans wages are now lower than before NAFTA.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I understand that Mexico's economic situation has improved for the better. In fact, I believe that many Mexican nationals are leaving the US to seek job opportunities back home.

Maybe what they really needed was an adjustment to encourage more home-grown jobs in that country and an alteration of the minimum wage accomplished that

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I remember asking this question when the Canadian employment rate was much better than that of the US, in anticipation of the fact that things chance. Many opposed the idea as ridiculous since the US had a much higher unemployment rate than Canada did.

Now that it appears the situation may end up going in the reverse direction, I was wondering people's ideas now concerning the diea of a common Canada-US labour market?

Do you really believe statistics released by the US Govt? The metrics of measurement change to produce statistical outcomes. America's U-3 measure of unemployment doesn't include people who have given up looking for work. America's labor force participation rate is very low. That's why increasing numbers of Americans are on some form of the dole.

I understand that Mexico's economic situation has improved for the better. In fact, I believe that many Mexican nationals are leaving the US to seek job opportunities back home.

Maybe what they really needed was an adjustment to encourage more home-grown jobs in that country and an alteration of the minimum wage accomplished that

The exodus from Mexico to America has increased again in anticipation of amnesty.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The exodus from Mexico to America has increased again in anticipation of amnesty.

Baloney..

There is no exodus to the USA, if you're caught as an illegal, they arrest you, hold you for 28 days then set a court date.. you have right to bail and are given a temporary work permit..

9 times out of 10 that work permit turns into a green card, then citizenship..

So you ya wanna get your papers, have ICE pick your *** up and post bond.

For first time since Depression, more Mexicans leave U.S. than enter - The Washington Post

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The US and Canada will be forming a common labour market under the dictates of the TPP agreement and you and I don't have anything to say about that, or else. It's a very frightening agreement, even with the limited information available it is clear that the deal seals total corporate control of every aspect of every citizen of every country who signed. Welcome to the age of Fascistia.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The US and Canada will be forming a common labour market under the dictates of the TPP agreement and you and I don't have anything to say about that, or else. It's a very frightening agreement, even with the limited information available it is clear that the deal seals total corporate control of every aspect of every citizen of every country who signed. Welcome to the age of Fascistia.

About dam time... EU North America style.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Employment conditions are far better for Canadians so the answer is no we should
not Around the world we are already playing the race to the bottom game and it has
to stop.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Employment conditions are far better for Canadians so the answer is no we should
not Around the world we are already playing the race to the bottom game and it has
to stop.

I'm not sure how valid this is today but I was told several years ago that Canadians' work ethic is much better than that of Americans, my gut reaction is to be skeptical of it, but apparently Canadians looking for work in California years ago were snapped up in a Hollywood minute.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Baloney..

There is no exodus to the USA, if you're caught as an illegal, they arrest you, hold you for 28 days then set a court date.. you have right to bail and are given a temporary work permit..

9 times out of 10 that work permit turns into a green card, then citizenship..

So you ya wanna get your papers, have ICE pick your *** up and post bond.

For first time since Depression, more Mexicans leave U.S. than enter - The Washington Post

Look at the date on your article. Enuf said.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
About dam time... EU North America style.

That's the problem not the plumb. Today I read that the EU has outlawed heirloom seed and unregistered gardens. Yippeee sounds like fun eh
They are also planning to put truckers in bac tanks installed on the tractors to feed and direct the driver without needing any stops at all. Vital signs will be maintained by automatic injection directly into the operator/organism, public safety and service is a priority, of course.The surgery will be deducted from your reduced pay and you will be retired with the scraped vehicle.