Freds and Nabors

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So, the Gouvernement du Canda and M. Etienne Harper (pronounced "arp-AIR") have launched an ad campaign in Washington to convince us they're our bestest buddies. They've posted the following all over our public transit:

I thought it was a pretty good effort, especially how they put the U.S. flag in front of and above the Canadian flag, and how they spelled "neighbors" the right way for the first time in their existence.

I wonder how much of that funny-coloured stuff they pretend is money they spent on this? The apparent purpose is to convince us to buy oil from Canada, which we already do.

Ultimately, it didn't work. The large majority of Canadians still hate the U.S., its people, its culture (such as it is), and. . . well, basically its existence.

As for the U.S., our ignorance of Canada is exceeded only by our indifference.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
how they spelled "neighbors" the right way for the first time in their existence.

LOL You know I've pretty much given up on the U in writing. That would be sure to drive a Canadian English Professor nuts, but considering the writing market it doesn't make sense to do otherwise. I do this for you America, so buy my book.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
LOL You know I've pretty much given up on the U in writing. That would be sure to drive a Canadian English Professor nuts, but considering the writing market it doesn't make sense to do otherwise. I do this for you America, so buy my book.
You're not the only one. Many British and Canadian authors "Americanise" their books, either from the start or in releasing the American version.

It's good to swing that kind of market power.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The US has friends? lol
Alwauys thought theu "u" waus redundaunt iun wourds liuke "neighbour", "harbour", etc. aund tou meu, redundauncy ius stupiud (aund au paiun iun theu auss) exceupt iun aircrauft systeums aund theu liuke.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
So, the Gouvernement du Canda and M. Etienne Harper (pronounced "arp-AIR") have launched an ad campaign in Washington to convince us they're our bestest buddies. They've posted the following all over our public transit:

I thought it was a pretty good effort, especially how they put the U.S. flag in front of and above the Canadian flag, and how they spelled "neighbors" the right way for the first time in their existence.

I wonder how much of that funny-coloured stuff they pretend is money they spent on this? The apparent purpose is to convince us to buy oil from Canada, which we already do.

Ultimately, it didn't work. The large majority of Canadians still hate the U.S., its people, its culture (such as it is), and. . . well, basically its existence.

As for the U.S., our ignorance of Canada is exceeded only by our indifference.

Bus commercials??? *groan*

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The US has friends? lol
Alwauys thought theu "u" waus redundaunt iun wourds liuke "neighbour", "harbour", etc. aund tou meu, redundauncy ius stupiud (aund au paiun iun theu auss) exceupt iun aircrauft systeums aund theu liuke.
Oh, and BTW, as the "lieu" in "he had an orange in lieu of an apple" is pronounced "loo", when the frack did we figure out that "lieutenant" is sposed to be pronounced "lefftenant"?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'm submitting this to the Internet Forum Academy as a thread-of-the-year candidate.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm submitting this to the Internet Forum Academy as a thread-of-the-year candidate.

Perhaps we'll win the coveted "Netty!"

I've got my speech all ready. . .

"I'd like to thank all the little people whose names I don't know that I abused and neglected on my way to the top."