Social Programs Citied for UK's largest drop in Teen Pregnancies


tay
#1
The drop in teenage pregnancies is the success story of our time




Here are the facts: since 1998, the proportion of pregnancies in under-18s has fallen by a remarkable 34%, to 30.9 per thousand. Until then the number had been rising since the late 1960s. But here's what people wrongly think: Ipsos Mori says people think 25 times more under-16s get pregnant than really do. Oddly, the 15- to 24-year-olds themselves grossly overestimate the rate. They think 40% of their own generation of under-18s get pregnant – which would mean 12 in a classroom of 30. Most people (80%) think teen pregnancy is still rising.


The Conservatives ran a grossly misleading campaign at the last election, following Iain Duncan Smith's fear-inducing Breakdown Britain reports. Moral panic about everything was their theme, figures often wildly wrong. An election document called Labour's Two Nations claimed that a staggering 54% of 15- to 17-year-olds in the most deprived areas were getting pregnant. The real figure was 5.4%. When caught out, they said it was an errant decimal point – but that figure was repeated three times without anyone at Tory head office stopping to wonder whether it could possibly be right. That suggested deep ignorance of life in the large parts of Britain they don't represent, distant "bad lands" of their worst imaginings.


At that time Chris Grayling was called out by the UK Statistics Authority for his misleading use of figures to try to claim violent crime was rising, when it had been falling for years – and still is. But ignorance is the right's friend, bogus figures bolstering wrong public estimates of benefit fraud (24%; real figure 0.7%) or numbers of black and Asian people, (a third, real number 11%). When people talk of "single mothers" they imagine girls, like the "young ladies" Peter Lilley mocked in the horrible "little list" he once sang to the Conservative party conference, about teenagers getting pregnant to get a council flat. In real life, the average age of single mothers is 38.


more




The drop in teenage pregnancies is the success story of our time | Polly Toynbee | Comment is free | The Guardian
 
Walter
-1
#2
Easiest way to get and stay poor is to have an out-of-wedlock child.
 
petros
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Easiest way to get and stay poor is to have an out-of-wedlock child.

Is that so?
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Is that so?

Blowin' smoke out his butt as usual.
 
Blackleaf
#5
One thing that will stop teenage pregnancies is to stop allowing teen girls to jump to the front of the housing list and benefits list when they become pregnant. That's what the Dutch did and, not suprisingly, teenage pregnancies plummeted. Because that's one of the reasons why so many young girls get up the duff. Just to get a council house and benefits.
 
petros
#6
They get pregnant to live in sh*tty social housing because it's better than???
 
Blackleaf
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

They get pregnant to live in sh*tty social housing

Yep. And to get the child benefit and housing benefit and council tax benefit. That's the only reason why so many 14 year old girls drop a chavvie. Although the Left, of course, are too naive to notice that.
 
petros
#8
Why would they take a drop in lifestyle to go into the ghettos?
 
Blackleaf
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why would they take a drop in lifestyle to go into the ghettos?

What makes you think they take a drop in lifestyle? Again, it's that Lefty naivety showing.

Teen girls in Britain get to jump right to the front of the housing and benefits queue as soon as they become pregnant. Take those stupid benefits away and the teenage pregnancy rate will suddenly plummet. I can guarantee it. It's happened in other European countries, such as Holland. There are too many young girls nowadays who just want to get pregnant just so that can live the easy life in their own council house with their rent and council tax paid for by the taxpayer.
 
petros
#10
What makes you think ghettos are a step up? Only teens in poverty get pregnant?
 
Blackleaf
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Easiest way to get and stay poor is to have an out-of-wedlock child.

Correct. I agree. The best upbringing for a child is to have two married heterosexual parents, with the mother staying at home looking after the child and the father working.
 
petros
#12
it's not a lack of education or opportunity?
 
Blackleaf
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What makes you think ghettos are a step up?

People are desperate for council houses and council flats. That's why the waiting lists to have them are so long, and you could wait three years to finally get to the front of the queue for one.

But not if you are a 14 year old girl who suddenly gets up the duff. For some reason she gets to jump right to the front of the queue for a council house or flat without having to wait. That's why so many of them get pregnant.
 
petros
#14
Why does the UK have a long list for housing? Are there no jobs?
 
Blackleaf
#15
[petros;1840755]Why does the UK have a long list for housing? [/QUOTE]

Because people don't want to live on streets. Houses are much better.
 
petros
#16
Why would they live in the streets? Is the economy of the UK that bad?
 
Blackleaf
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why would they live in the streets? Is the economy of the UK that bad?

If you haven't got a house you live on the street. Or at home with your parents. It's not rocket science.
 
petros
#18
Why is there a lack of affordable housing in the UK?
 
Blackleaf
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why is there a lack of affordable housing in the UK?

Why is there a lack of affordable housing in Canada?
 
petros
#20
There are no people wandering the streets of my city. Why is that?
 
Blackleaf
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

There are no people wandering the streets of my city. Why is that?

Because it's full of council houses, probably.

The rate of homelessness in Canada has shot up in recent years. Over a quarter - 26% - of Canadian households are unable to afford even a basic home.

There are thought to be around 300,000 homeless people in Canada, around 1% of the population.

In England (not the whole of the UK, just England) there are thought to be around 2,200 people living on the streets. That means Canada (population 35 million) has 136 times as many homeless people as England (population 53 million).

Whereas in Canada, 26% of Canadian households cannot afford even a basic home the number of households in England which made homeless applications to their council in 2010-11 was just 84,900 households - out of a total number of English households of around 22 million.

In fact, 36,440 houses in Scotland made homeless applications to their council in the same period, which shows that Scotland (population just 5 million) is also far worse off that England.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Dec 13th, 2013 at 10:27 AM..
 
petros
#22
There are thought to be around 300,000 homeless people in Canada, around 1% of the population



That would be 0.01%


Why does the UK have a housing issue?
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1
#23  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Because it's full of council houses, probably.

The rate of homelessness in Canada has shot up in recent years. Over a quarter - 26% - of Canadian households are unable to afford even a basic home.

There are thought to be around 300,000 homeless people in Canada, around 1% of the population.

In England (not the whole of the UK, just England) there are thought to be around 2,200 people living on the streets. That means Canada (population 35 million) has 136 times as many homeless people as England (population 53 million).

Whereas in Canada, 26% of Canadian households cannot afford even a basic home the number of households in England which made homeless applications to their council in 2010-11 was just 84,900 households - out of a total number of English households of around 22 million.

In fact, 36,440 houses in Scotland made homeless applications to their council in the same period, which shows that Scotland (population just 5 million) is also far worse off that England.

Blackleaf, it is becoming evident that you have no idea what you are posting. Your numbers are silly. Your math is ridiculous. You say 1% of Canadians are homeless but you also say that 26% can't afford even a basic home. What the hell is a "basic home"? Is it a row house walk up flat? Do a bit of research for God's sake.
 
petros
#24
He also claimed 1000% more homeless than there are.
 
no new posts