UK to leave EU?? An opportunity.........

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Brits eager to leave EU thanks to mass immigration fears | UK | News | Daily Express

An opportunity???

I have long believed that there is a real necessity for a slight realignment of our alliances and trade preferences.

It is well past time the free English-speaking countries formed a solid all large scale alliance, free trade, military co-operation and close alliance, and the formation of a free political block in the world.

Such an alliance would include the United States, Canada, the UK, perhaps the Irish Free State, Australia, New Zealand, India..........all free nations, all solid democracies, all with a common heritage of sorts...........

Such an alliance would be ready, able and capable of countering Chinese and Islamic fundamentalist threats to their own interests.......

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Brits eager to leave EU thanks to mass immigration fears | UK | News | Daily Express

An opportunity???

I have long believed that there is a real necessity for a slight realignment of our alliances and trade preferences.

It is well past time the free English-speaking countries formed a solid all large scale alliance, free trade, military co-operation and close alliance, and the formation of a free political block in the world.

Such an alliance would include the United States, Canada, the UK, perhaps the Irish Free State, Australia, New Zealand, India..........all free nations, all solid democracies, all with a common heritage of sorts...........

Such an alliance would be ready, able and capable of countering Chinese and Islamic fundamentalist threats to their own interests.......
The Irish Free State hasn't existed since 1939, and Canada and the UK are not free by any definition I can think of.

So, no.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
What threats? Perceived threats?

Must be the Afghani poppy farmers riding camels across the Atlantic. Run, everyone, run!
Love the hate!

To be safe, let's tell them all that Canada is on the north side of the Strait of Dover.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I agree. Britain WILL leave the EU and, if the Tories win the 2015 General Election, and I believe they will, there will be an EU in/out referendum in 2017 which, unlike the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, the secessionists have a good chance of winning.

The EU, and especially the Eurozone, is a failing economic entity, the slowest-growing economic region in the world, and Britain and her economy will be better off out of it.

It's time to have elected British people running Britain and setting her laws, rather than unelected foreigners in Belgium.

Britain needs to concentrate more on the economically vibrant Commonwealth - whose economy has recently overtaken the Eurozone's in size.

And an Anglosphere free trade area - a free trade area of the countries who, unlike the Continental Europeans and the Irish (there's no hope for the Irish who, unlike the British, weren't wise enough to stay out of the Euro), value freedom and democracy - would also be nice.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
India a solid democracy? I could hardly contain my laughter. This country is among the
most corrupt nation on the planet it is more corrupt than China for heaven sake. Anything
that gets done is based on bribery.
Besides if China was as big a threat as you say why are we shipping them raw resource
power and building our factories there to put our people out of work? It is a real question
because eventually we will be in a scrap with China but we keep building them up anyway.
The Islamic world is another matter. What we have done is make a segment of their area
rich the rest are kept ignorant. It is ignorance that is the biggest enemy for ignorance and
lack of opportunity breeds the frustration and violence that we see coming at us.
To protect ourselves there are remedies. First we must ensure our children are educated
properly. We must ensure we have good jobs with a strong middle class. In addition we
should be working to ensure our foreign business dealings are ethical to raise the standard
of living in other nations so they can afford to buy our goods and services.
What have we done? Shipped our jobs to the lowest bidder so we can work those in the
third world for almost nothing so we can have cheaper running shoes. Then we have free
trade so we can lower our standard of living. Everyone is frustrated and angry so we then
build up our military so the boys at the top can get even richer.
What we need is common sense not a tightened grip by the wealthy few who have never
done a real days work in their lives. Yes we need defence but this is defending a small few
at the expense of the rest of us.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Sabre rattling. You think a new group of nations with their own agendas and priorities would work better than say, NATO? or the UN? Or any other group of nations out there?

I'm the younger of the two of us by a long shot, I should be the naive one...

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

An opportunity???

Your proposal would be ideal, but for the fact that vested interests in the US and Canada believe in a North American Union which includes Mexico. Those vested interests believe in cheap labor above all other things. Besides, in California Spanglish is becoming the lingua franca. As goes California so goes the nation.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The biggest democracy in the world? The democracy of which you speak is a myth.
The vote is stacked with those who don't even have a clue about issues they are
voting for the overlord in their community. The whole societal structure is deficient
and we pretend its a democracy for the sake of "its close enough"
Bribery and skulduggery are the main features of business and government and it
matters not whether its left or right in power. The Congress Party was left of center
and the most corrupt era in India's history happened during that era.
To suggest India is a true democracy requires a pair of blinder the like of the world
has not seen before.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I agree. Britain WILL leave the EU and, if the Tories win the 2015 General Election, and I believe they will, there will be an EU in/out referendum in 2017 which, unlike the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, the secessionists have a good chance of winning.

The EU, and especially the Eurozone, is a failing economic entity, the slowest-growing economic region in the world, and Britain and her economy will be better off out of it.

It's time to have elected British people running Britain and setting her laws, rather than unelected foreigners in Belgium.

Britain needs to concentrate more on the economically vibrant Commonwealth - whose economy has recently overtaken the Eurozone's in size.

And an Anglosphere free trade area - a free trade area of the countries who, unlike the Continental Europeans and the Irish (there's no hope for the Irish who, unlike the British, weren't wise enough to stay out of the Euro), value freedom and democracy - would also be nice.

I didn't realize that Britain was part of the EU. They certainly don't use the Euro as currency - its still the pound. Seems to me that they decided not to become part of the EU so obviously I've missed something somehwere.

JMHO

Well I'll be damned! Don't know what I was thinking because I remember that Britain was dead set against participating in the EU, so I naturally thought they never did participate. (should have googled b4 responding earlier - sigh). I do know, however, they still use the pound so maybe that's what the ruckus was all about???

Learn something new everyday!!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I didn't realize that Britain was part of the EU. They certainly don't use the Euro as currency - its still the pound. Seems to me that they decided not to become part of the EU so obviously I've missed something somehwere.

Can you not research before you post?

Britain is part of the EU but not part of the Eurozone. Of the 28 EU Member States, 17 of them are part of the Eurozone and 11 of them - Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden and the UK - have kept their own currencies.

And Britain's decision to stay out of the Euro was, as events in recent years have shown, a wise one, despite misguided Europhiles saying that Britain's staying out of the Euro would result in those countries who have adopted it to outperform Britain economically and that Frankfurt and Paris will overtake London as a financial centre.

Instead, all that happened is that the Eurozone has found itself in big economic doo-doo, with it being almost certain that Britain's economy would have been in a far worse state now had it joined the Euro; and London, rather than being overtaken as a finacial centre by Frankfurt and Parism has instead pulled even further ahead of those two centres and has also, since the Euro was established, overtaken New York to re-establish its place as the world's foremost financial centre.

In short, the Europhiles were wrong.

In fact, keeping Britain out of the Euro was the only thing that Gordon Brown got right during his 13 years in Government.

I remember that Britain was dead set against participating in the EU

If Britain was against joining the EU then what the hell is in doing in the EU? Why did it join?