Britain and Russia; 2 Different Approaches on Islam

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Parents were ordered to send their children to a workshop on Islam or have them labelled as racist for the rest of their school career.

They were sent a letter warning that the primary school pupils would have a ‘racial discrimination note’ put on their records if they did not go.

Families were told to pay £5 per child for the Explore Islam trip next Wednesday to Staffordshire University, which would involve Year 4 and Year 6 children being shown Islamic artefacts.

Children of 8 are 'racist' if they miss Islam trip: School's threatening letter to parents is met with outrage | Mail Online

Moscow mayor: No more mosques in my city

No more mosques will be built in Moscow, despite the huge crowds that swamp the city's four public mosques on Muslim holidays, because they are mainly used by temporary workers, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has decided.

In an interview with the daily Komsomolskaya Pravda on Wednesday, Mr. Sobyanin said that Moscow has about two million foreign residents, the vast bulk of them migrant workers from former Soviet Central Asia who are mainly Muslim. The city's economy "could not manage without them," he admitted.

But he insisted that the vast throngs of Muslims who fill Moscow streets and wait, often for many hours, to enter the city's few existing mosques are mostly people who come from outside the city limits and therefore have no right to be catered to.

One new mosque is presently under construction in Moscow, but that's the end of it, he added. "No new building permits will be issued. I think that's enough mosques for Moscow."

Moscow mayor: No more mosques in my city - CSMonitor.com

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It's not like the class would hurt them but I would refuse and seek legal redress just on principle. Hopefully get the head teacher fired.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Britain is engaged in some strange priority assigning. On the one hand prohibit Christian symbols that might serve to offend minorities but on the other legislate minority religious familiarity to Christians. Kinda dodgey stuff.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Parents were ordered to send their children to a workshop on Islam or have them labelled as racist for the rest of their school career.

They were sent a letter warning that the primary school pupils would have a ‘racial discrimination note’ put on their records if they did not go.

Families were told to pay £5 per child for the Explore Islam trip next Wednesday to Staffordshire University, which would involve Year 4 and Year 6 children being shown Islamic artefacts.

Children of 8 are 'racist' if they miss Islam trip: School's threatening letter to parents is met with outrage | Mail Online

No more mosques will be built in Moscow, despite the huge crowds that swamp the city's four public mosques on Muslim holidays, because they are mainly used by temporary workers, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has decided.

In an interview with the daily Komsomolskaya Pravda on Wednesday, Mr. Sobyanin said that Moscow has about two million foreign residents, the vast bulk of them migrant workers from former Soviet Central Asia who are mainly Muslim. The city's economy "could not manage without them," he admitted.

But he insisted that the vast throngs of Muslims who fill Moscow streets and wait, often for many hours, to enter the city's few existing mosques are mostly people who come from outside the city limits and therefore have no right to be catered to.

One new mosque is presently under construction in Moscow, but that's the end of it, he added. "No new building permits will be issued. I think that's enough mosques for Moscow."

Dear Mrs. Small,

PHUC YOU.

And the horse you rode in on.........

Thank you for your time and attention.

Not At All Yours Sincerely:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Forcing someone's kid to go on a field trip that a parent may not agree with shouldn't be held against the student, or the parent for that matter. Especially in this case where Islam is seriously becoming an issue in Britain. I think had I a child in this school, I'd solve the issue by removing my child from the school period.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is what happens when we open Pandora's Box on church and state. Right now
its the topic of Islam and what should be done. Twenty five years ago it was the, the,
the Christian Right who intruded into the political process and they were going to bring
Christ Back to America. That in fact opened the door for Christians and Muslims and
even those who belong to the Star Trek Religion for all we know.
I do believe we have to understand each other and how we fit into a national mosaic.
On the other hand my right to stop at some point is my business and taking it out on
my kids comes down to this.
Today we are confronting an established practice of bullying. We should not be concerned
about the schoolyard bully though. The real bully's are the schools, the preachers, the
police and others in positions of authority. The problem is all of these people and groups feel
threatened by the peoples will to think for themselves. It is time we simply told government,
the schools and churches to mind their own business. Even local governments try to bully
citizens these days and its time to say enough is enough.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Britain is engaged in some strange priority assigning. On the one hand prohibit Christian symbols that might serve to offend minorities but on the other legislate minority religious familiarity to Christians. Kinda dodgey stuff.

legislate? I'm sorry, but do not mistake poor individual school policy, for legislation.

To illustrate, we have a school in BC that currently makes physical contact of any sort between students 'against the rules'.... it does not reflect the opinions or practice of the country, least of all the legislation.

Forcing someone's kid to go on a field trip that a parent may not agree with ....

or can't afford. "We're sorry, you don't have money, so you're racist"

This is what happens when we open Pandora's Box on church and state. Right now
its the topic of Islam and what should be done. Twenty five years ago it was the, the,
the Christian Right who intruded into the political process and they were going to bring
Christ Back to America. That in fact opened the door for Christians and Muslims and
even those who belong to the Star Trek Religion for all we know.
I do believe we have to understand each other and how we fit into a national mosaic.
On the other hand my right to stop at some point is my business and taking it out on
my kids comes down to this.
Today we are confronting an established practice of bullying. We should not be concerned
about the schoolyard bully though. The real bully's are the schools, the preachers, the
police and others in positions of authority. The problem is all of these people and groups feel
threatened by the peoples will to think for themselves. It is time we simply told government,
the schools and churches to mind their own business. Even local governments try to bully
citizens these days and its time to say enough is enough.

I agree with what you're saying, but I find it amusing that Russia is being held up as the poster boy for how we should deal with religious dictation, when its Orthodox Church has its country in such a strangle hold. Yes, Russia is dealing much more strictly with the Muslims... because the Orthodox Church will not have them. Not because of some wonderful notion of secularist freedom.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
this in a country where Anglicanism is the state religion

Not for long.

As in many other countries, Christians are a persecuted group in Britain. Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world. The British authorities look down on anyone practising their Christian faith, even to the extent that they ban workers from wearing a little crucifix; yet anyone who dares say anything against Muslims and Islam is immediately branded "racist" and "Islamophobic" by the very same people who have no problem with Christianophobia. If you say that the hijab should be banned you are immediately branded a "bigot" by the very same people who ban the wearing of the Christian cross, who say that we shouldn't be able to tell people what to wear (unless they are Christians, of course)

Christians are persecuted, whilst the Islime minority have protected species status.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
This is a case where both examples are to the extreme (although they are to the opposite extremes). Rather than finding a happy medium, they have decided to go about things the wrong way.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

GASP!!! How is it different than being Uke Orthodox in 1918?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can't wait to see what Richard Littlejohn might have to say about this. I'll be looking forward to his column tomorrow.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I agree with what you're saying, but I find it amusing that Russia is being held up as the poster boy for how we should deal with religious dictation, when its Orthodox Church has its country in such a strangle hold. Yes, Russia is dealing much more strictly with the Muslims... because the Orthodox Church will not have them. Not because of some wonderful notion of secularist freedom.
You nailed it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Russian Orthodox Church - which, for some reason, is based in Brooklyn - is the second biggest Christian religion in the world after Catholicism and 75% of Russians consider themselves to be Orthodox.

It is the state religion of Russia and the vast majority of the Russian people - who are Orthodox themselves - don't seem to have a problem with that.

To say that the Russian Orthodox Church has a "stranglehold" on Russia is like saying that Islime has a stranglehold on Iran; or Buddhism has a stranglehold on Japan; or Anglicanism has a stranglehold on England.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The Russian Orthodox Church - which, for some reason, is based in Brooklyn - is the second biggest Christian religion in the world after Catholicism and 75% of Russians consider themselves to be Orthodox.

It is the state religion of Russia and the vast majority of the Russian people - who are Orthodox themselves - don't seem to have a problem with that.

To say that the Russian Orthodox Church has a "stranglehold" on Russia is like saying that Islime has a stranglehold on Iran; or Buddhism has a stranglehold on Japan; or Anglicanism has a stranglehold on England.

It has nothing to do with how many people practice it, and everything to do with how much of state law the church dictates.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The two extremes. Where's the happy middle?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Not for long.

As in many other countries, Christians are a persecuted group in Britain. Christians are the most persecuted religious group in the world. The British authorities look down on anyone practising their Christian faith, even to the extent that they ban workers from wearing a little crucifix; yet anyone who dares say anything against Muslims and Islam is immediately branded "racist" and "Islamophobic" by the very same people who have no problem with Christianophobia. If you say that the hijab should be banned you are immediately branded a "bigot" by the very same people who ban the wearing of the Christian cross, who say that we shouldn't be able to tell people what to wear (unless they are Christians, of course)

Christians are persecuted, whilst the Islime minority have protected species status.

Paybacks a B*@ch, isn't it?