Scottish independence: Yes campaigners rally in Edinburgh

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
BBC News - Scottish independence: Yes campaigners rally in Edinburgh

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Polls - as they have done consistently - show that the Scottish nationalists will suffer a heavy defeat in the referendum on 18th September 2014.

Here's an interesting poll. It's not the first which shows that the English are more in favour of Scottish independence than the Scots are; and that the UK as a whole is more in favour of Scottish independence than Scotland is.

The Scottish nationalists have a lot of ground to make up in the next year. Scottish independence is highly unlikely....

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
How would the Scots handle independence... After all, as it is, they cannot handle dressing up, speaking, music, or healthy cuisine.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How would the Scots handle independence... After all, as it is, they cannot handle dressing up, speaking, music, or healthy cuisine.

One thing that highlights the fact that Scotland wouldn't be able to cope as an independent nation is the stats of its banks' bailout.

Much of the British recession and credit crunch in recent years started in Edinburgh - which is also a big financial centre in the UK - not the City of London. HBOS and RBS, which both collapsed, are Scottish banks based in Edinburgh.

The cost of bailing them out was worth several times Scotland's entire GDP, so an independent Scotland would not have been able to bail them out. But they were able to be bailed out thanks to the many millions of taxpayers in the UK.

Had Scotland been independent when its banks collapsed it would not have been able to bail them out, and would have made what happened in Iceland look like a picnic.

The Scottish banking sector stands at 1,254 percent of Scotland’s gross domestic product, compared with banking assets in Britain as a whole worth 492 percent of G.D.P.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
One of the few. Certainly not other island nations such as Palau, the Marshalls, Nauru (or other Pleasant Islands!)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Iceland is a free country.

When Iceland's banks failed, it had to borrow from abroad 800% of it's GDP to bail them out.

When Scotland's banks failed I think the cost was over 1,000% of its GDP, but they were able to be bailed out easily because Scotland was part of a much larger economy, the UK. There were tens of millions of taxayers in England and several million in Wales and Northern Ireland to bail them out, as well as the few million in Scotland.

Had Scotland been independent, though, it would have been much more difficult for the Scots to bail out its banks. That episode shows how important it is for Scotland to remain in the UK.

Aye, and Breaking form Denmark in 1944 sent them into the 'Dark ages' , right BL?:lol:
Norways been a slum since 1905, when the Swedes pulled out...

Norway's alright. It's rich with its oil money. And it's got real trolls, not just internet ones. Although a pint of beer there cost about £4.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
In the Imperial System of weights and measures, a pint of water weighs approximately one pound. The sentence "A pint's a pound the world around" was a rhyme taught children so they could remember that relationship. I used that rhyme to comment on your complaint that a pint of beer in Norway was four pounds - a paradox.
Geezus, I hate explaining my "excellent" jokes.

Thankfully Imperialism is in its death throes.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In the Imperial System of weights and measures, a pint of water weighs approximately one pound. The sentence "A pint's a pound the world around" was a rhyme taught children so they could remember that relationship. I used that rhyme to comment on your complaint that a pint of beer in Norway was four pounds - a paradox.

Yeah, let's all swap "a teaspoon" of something (which the British and Americans use) for "5ml" of something (which the Continental Europeans use). The latter is infintely easier to measure, isn't it?

Whereas the British and American cookbooks say "A cupful of......", European cookbooks say 240 mls of.....". Why we should swap the former for the latter is beyond me.

I dread the day when I go into a pub and I won't be allowed to say: "Can I have a pint of Fosters, please?" and instead I have to say : "Can I have 0.57 litres of Fosters, please?"

Goodness knows what the band Nine Inch Nails are gonna do. They might have to change their name to 2.54 Centimetre Nails. It doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though.

The Imperial system is much superior to the Continental European metric system. The Imperial system allows you to measure things using everyday objects - a cupful of, a teaspoon of, a tablespoon of etc.

Unlike the Metric system, you don't have to get the weighing scales or the measuring jug out.

Last edited:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
One of the few. Certainly not other island nations such as Palau, the Marshalls, Nauru (or other Pleasant Islands!)
Breakaway European Nations have actually done rather well. Finland has few regrets about leaving the Russian Empire. Slovakia is doing ok,
Don't cry for me , Yugoslavia...

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah, let's all swap "a teaspoon" of something (which the British and Americans use) for "5ml" of something (which the Continental Europeans use). The latter is infintely easier to measure, isn't it?

Whereas the British and American cookbooks say "A cupful of......", European cookbooks say 240 mls of.....". Why we should swap the former for the latter is beyond me.

Maybe your nation really should consider switching.... It's not like the UK is known for trend setting and cutting-edge culinary arts.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Maybe your nation really should consider switching....

What for? Why swap a perfectly good system of measurements that we've used for centuries and replace it with an inferior system? If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

It's not like the UK is known for trend setting and cutting-edge culinary arts.

The UK is one of the most trend-setting, innovative and happening places there is, unlike Canada.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

That's not correct. An Imperial pint is 20 ounces, or 1.2 pounds. An American pint of water (16 ounces avoirdupois) is a pound.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's not correct. An Imperial pint is 20 ounces, or 1.2 pounds. An American pint of water (16 ounces avoirdupois) is a pound.

The American pint is still an Imperial measurement (the Americans use good old pints, feet, inches, miles, pounds, ounces like the British), but it's a different amount from that used in the UK and Ireland because it wasn't affected by the British Weights and Measures Act of 1824. So the US pint dates to BEFORE 1824 and are older than the UK and Ireland pint.

I'm glad to report that a British pint is bigger than an American pint. In the UK and Ireland (the whole of which was part of the UK in 1824 so was affected by the Act) a pint is 568 ml in funny money, whereas in the US a liquid pint is 473 ml and a less-common dry pint is 551 ml.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What for? Why swap a perfectly good system of measurements that we've used for centuries and replace it with an inferior system? If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

It's broken... Trust me

Question: the scale you use to weigh yourself; does it give the measure in pounds (like the currency) or stone (like what we use to construct fireplaces?)

The UK is one of the most trend-setting, innovative and happening places there is, unlike Canada.

Setting trends in violence related to religious fanaticism, sure, I can buy that