Ecuador to drill for oil in pristine Amazon rainforest

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
preserve after rich countries fail to pay up

QUITO, Ecuador — President Rafael Correa said Thursday that he has abandoned a unique and ambitious plan to persuade rich countries to pay Ecuador not to drill for oil in a pristine Amazon rainforest preserve.

Environmentalist had hailed the initiative when Correa first proposed it in 2007, saying he was setting a precedent in the fight against global warming by lowering the high cost to poor countries of preserving the environment.

“The world has failed us,” Correa said in a nationally televised speech. He said the global recession was in part responsible, but chiefly blamed “the great hypocrisy” of nations who emit most of the world’s greenhouse gases.

more

Ecuador to drill for oil in Amazon rainforest after rich countries failed to pay up | Financial Post

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Will the world go along with saving the rain forest when it costs real money? They have not even come close to having saved all the brown babies in Africa yet.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I sent Ecuador a sternly worded email and told them I was not to blame and to bite me.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Such a wonderful sound. Creating good paying jobs in an area where none previously existed.

I'm a little baffled though relative to why the eco-tards haven't stepped-up to the plate on this... All of the celebrity population and guys like Al Gore that thump their chests could handily 'lease' that land for a long period and prevent any development.

Maybe they're all soooo upset about it that this possibility has slipped their minds