Britain legalizes gay marriage as Queen Elizabeth II gives royal approval

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
LONDON — Britain on Wednesday legalized gay marriage after Queen Elizabeth II gave her royal stamp of approval, clearing the way for the first same-sex weddings next summer. Lawmakers cheered as House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said royal assent had been given — one day after the bill to legalize same-sex marriage in England and Wales cleared Parliament.

there ya go then

Britain legalizes gay marriage as Queen Elizabeth II gives royal approval - The Washington Post

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is a dark day for Britain that such a pointless bill has gone through Parliament.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is a dark day for Britain that such a pointless bill has gone through Parliament.
You ol' stuffed shirt! Think of all the money to be made, wedding planners, caterers, etc. Besides, the British monarchy has been gay since forever.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You ol' stuffed shirt! Think of all the money to be made, wedding planners, caterers, etc. Besides, the British monarchy has ben gay since forever.

It's legislation which affects less than 1% of the 63 million people in Britain.

Even most nufters are against it.

By the way, I can't remember Victoria or Albert being gay.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's legislation which affects less than 1% of the 63 million people in Britain.

Even most nufters are against it.

By the way, I can't remember Victoria or Albert being gay.
I think you will find with this law, there are far more than 1% gays as they will become even more visible.

The way British royalty dressed for hundreds of years was just so gay, a drag queen would wet his pants for the opportunity to dress up like that.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Is this what we've reduced the bigots to? First it was an abomination, unnatural, couldn't produce children; it was icky, threatened the sanctity of hetero-marriage, not traditional, an affront to dictionaries; and now it doesn't affect enough people.

Hey, marriage equality coming to Britain is a big enough victory, but watching the sad, pathetic homophobes conjure up yet another stunningly stupid excuse for their bigotry is a victory of its own. Almost there!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hey, marriage equality coming to Britain is a big enough victory, but watching the sad, pathetic homophobes conjure up yet another stunningly stupid excuse for their bigotry is a victory of its own. Almost there!
It does not make heterosexuals equal to homosexuals; comparing apples and oranges. Heterosexual marriage is a cornerstone of civilization; has been for thousands of years. Homosexual "marriage" adds nothing to our society other than a lefty, feel good, stick this in yer eye, act.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is this what we've reduced the bigots to? First it was an abomination, unnatural, couldn't produce children; it was icky, threatened the sanctity of hetero-marriage, not traditional, an affront to dictionaries; and now it doesn't affect enough people.

It IS an abomination and it IS unnatural. Marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

This legislation will affect just something like 0.7% of the British people - that's the proportion of people who want to marry a fellow man or woman. Most gay people are themselves against it. It was just a complete waste of time and effort to pass legislation which affects hardly anybody when there are far more important things for the government to worry about.

I mean, what next? Are the government going to make it legal for me to marry my sister? They may as well, because that's equally as absurd as letting to men or two women marry each other.

Hey, marriage equality coming to Britain is a big enough victory, but
watching the sad, pathetic homophobes conjure up yet another stunningly stupid
excuse for their bigotry is a victory of its own. Almost there!

I am homophobic. I'm just not pathetic.

Most gay people are themselves against gay marriage.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It does not make heterosexuals equal to homosexuals; comparing apples and oranges. Heterosexual marriage is a cornerstone of civilization; has been for thousands of years. Homosexual "marriage" adds nothing to our society other than a lefty, feel good, stick this in yer eye, act.

This legislation will affect just something like 0.7% of the British people - that's the proportion of people who want to marry a fellow man or woman. Most gay people are themselves against it. It was just a complete waste of time and effort to pass legislation which affects hardly anybody when there are far more important things for the government to worry about.

Wow, you guys are actually going to use that argument. That wasn't just a desperate throwaway.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It IS an abomination and it IS unnatural. Marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

Says you and the other ignorants.

Well, if it effects so few, what's the big deal?

I mean, what next? Are the government going to make it legal for me to marry my sister? They may as well, because that's equally as absurd as letting to men or two women marry each other.

only in the narrow little minds of the ignorant.

I am homophobic. I'm just not pathetic.

they are synonymous.

Most gay people are themselves against gay marriage.

Those that are against, don't need to avail themselves of the service.