Iranian Child Brides Get Younger — And More Numerous

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As Iranian lawmakers now seek to lower the legal age of marriage for girls to nine-years-old, the number of Iranian brides already under 10 years of age is sharply rising. The Iranian decision to allow nine-year-old girls the legal opportunity to be married to fully grown men was announced by Mohammad Ali Isfenani, chairman of the Iranian Parliament’s Legal Affairs Committee.

Isfenani called Iran’s current civil legislation, which sets the minimum legal age of marriage for girls at 13-years-old, “un-Islamic and illegal,” saying, “We must regard nine as being the appropriate age for a girl to have reached puberty and qualified to get married. To do otherwise would be to contradict and challenge Islamic Sharia law.”

more

Iranian Child Brides Get Younger — And More Numerous | FrontPage Magazine

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thank ****ing god we don't have to follow that disgusting Sharia Law here in Canada. I don't agree with McGuinty much at all, but when he refused to allow it to be implemented here in Ontario, I was quite happy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now they are almost like Canada. At least Sharia has a minimum. We don't. I heard about our marriage laws recently and was shocked.

Crazy but at least I know shadowshivarly is not dead.

For under age marriage in Canada there is no minimum as long as there is parental or court permission. Sad but true.

In looking at Canada, all but one Province requires that a couple be 18 in order to marry without parental permission. British Columbia sets the age of majority at 19. Although a few areas will waive this requirement if there is a pregnancy, the couple may still have to have court approval.

Even with parental approval, many Provinces will require court approval when a person is 16 years of age or less.

Alberta: Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. The consent
form must be signed before an Alberta marriage licence issuer, the clergy performing the ceremony or any person authorized to take affidavits. A male minor, under the age of 16 years, may not get married under any circumstances. The law does state that in some situations, a judge may say that parental consent is not necessary. It might be possible to marry under the age of 16 if you get a letter from a medical doctor saying that you are the mother of a living child or you are pregnant.

British Columbia: Applicants under 19 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. Anyone under the age of 16 must have the consent of either the Supreme or County Court.

Manitoba: Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. If under 16, only with the court's consent.

New Brunswick:Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. If either of the parties is under the age of sixteen years, a declaration by a Judge of the Court of Queen's Bench must be obtained.

Saskatchewan: Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. The consent form must be signed before a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer, the clergy performing the ceremony or any person authorized to take affidavits. No one under 16 may marry. However, a judge of the Court of Queen's Bench or a judge of the Provincial Court can override this.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Now they are almost like Canada. At least Sharia has a minimum. We don't. I heard about our marriage laws recently and was shocked.

Crazy but at least I know shadowshivarly is not dead.

For under age marriage in Canada there is no minimum as long as there is parental or court permission. Sad but true.

In looking at Canada, all but one Province requires that a couple be 18 in order to marry without parental permission. British Columbia sets the age of majority at 19. Although a few areas will waive this requirement if there is a pregnancy, the couple may still have to have court approval.

Even with parental approval, many Provinces will require court approval when a person is 16 years of age or less.

Alberta: Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. The consent
form must be signed before an Alberta marriage licence issuer, the clergy performing the ceremony or any person authorized to take affidavits. A male minor, under the age of 16 years, may not get married under any circumstances. The law does state that in some situations, a judge may say that parental consent is not necessary. It might be possible to marry under the age of 16 if you get a letter from a medical doctor saying that you are the mother of a living child or you are pregnant.

British Columbia: Applicants under 19 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. Anyone under the age of 16 must have the consent of either the Supreme or County Court.

Manitoba: Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. If under 16, only with the court's consent.

New Brunswick:Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. If either of the parties is under the age of sixteen years, a declaration by a Judge of the Court of Queen's Bench must be obtained.

Saskatchewan: Applicants under 18 years of age but over 16 need to have parental or court consent. The consent form must be signed before a Saskatchewan marriage licence issuer, the clergy performing the ceremony or any person authorized to take affidavits. No one under 16 may marry. However, a judge of the Court of Queen's Bench or a judge of the Provincial Court can override this.

Dang. It looks like my shadowshivalry is of no use! That is actually pretty creepy! I hope that the courts show common sense in these cases, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath.:(

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For a propaganda piece it kinda backfires but does open a can of worms about or our morals (shadowshivarly aside) and the biological aspects of the need to breed.

How do we draw the lines?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
One large step back for mankind, these laws are disgusting of course we are beginning
to see the real truth about that society manifest itself on the world stage.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No its does not but the process is designed to control the women of the country in a
manner that is out of step with a modern world.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The problem of child brides extends far beyond Iran's borders. Also Iranian human rights groups have been fighting to raise Iran's minimum marriage age to something more reasonable.

Legalization of child marriages
July 27, 2012

Child marriages have long been reported from many parts of the world, with people under age of maturity wed for various reasons. Africa, India and Pakistan, and the Middle East are some of the regions where child marriages still happen; and, in fact, are common practice. Their prevention has been difficult due to personal interests of parties involved in it. Apart from money and societal factors, some places even offer legal protection to child marriages.

Saudi Arabia and Iran are two countries, both often regarded as fundamentalist Islamic states, where child marriage has been backed by the clergy. Last year, when efforts were made to ban child marriages in Saudi kingdom, one influential cleric issued a ruling that supported child marriage. The report of this incident mentioned that it was not the first time clerics were thwarting an initiative to set an appropriate age limit for marriages. Till late last year, media were still raising the question of unbridled child marriages in the Saudi kingdom.

Some alarming news in this context has surfaced from Iran recently, informing that Iran’s parliament is considering to legally pass 9 years as the minimum age appropriate for a girl to get married. Thus lowering the legal age for girls to get married is being reportedly justified by referring to sharia (Islamic law), which has various versions in different places. This move of the parliament is feared to reverse the partial victory of human rights activists in banning child marriages in Iran a decade ago.

Legalization of child marriages « JOURNAL OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dang. It looks like my shadowshivalry is of no use! That is actually pretty creepy! I hope that the courts show common sense in these cases, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath.:(

The reason those laws are open ended and can be overridden by the court is precisely because sometimes that's necessary in order to exercise common sense.
People don't mature at the same rates, their needs don't all meet a magical court timeline. Sometimes making laws 'with no exceptions' is more hurtful and tyrannical than helpful. While there's room to abuse those legal loopholes, for a 15 year old girl pregnant and wanting security and a future, that loophole is crucial.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Only a few parts of the world are modern.

Actually, only a few places within those few places..................ever feel they're getting smaller?
\

If you think the above is a smarmy attack on the thumpers in Kanukistan and the U.Sewer, eh............yer kerrect.