Why is Europe avoiding the F-word?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
BBC News - Why is Europe avoiding the F-word?

I like the way the article puts European Federalism in historical perspective. I was not even aware that government debt contributed to the federation of the United States, and that crisis also contributed to the union of England and Scotland. iT seems like discussion of a stronger Europe is following the same historical trend.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The 17 nations which have the euro couldn't even make a monetary union work. So how on earth would they be able to make a political union work, especially when the countries speak different languages and there'll be untold millions of people - likely the majority - who would be against their countries - some of them ancient - losing their sovereignties to become part of another country?

This eurofederalism talk is just a wet dream of a BBC which has long been obsessively and blindly pro-EU

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The 17 nations which have the euro couldn't even make a monetary union work. So how on earth would they be able to make a political union work, especially when the countries speak different languages and there'll be untold millions of people - likely the majority - who would be against their countries - some of them ancient - losing their sovereignties to become part of another country?

This eurofederalism talk is just a wet dream of a BBC which has long been obsessively and blindly pro-EU

The lack of a central monetary authority with real authoririty might be WHY it it not work.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
BBC News - Why is Europe avoiding the F-word?

I like the way the article puts European Federalism in historical perspective. I was not even aware that government debt contributed to the federation of the United States, and that crisis also contributed to the union of England and Scotland. iT seems like discussion of a stronger Europe is following the same historical trend.

Because they are all ------(other F word)