China and the 'substitute criminal'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In China, the rich and powerful can hire body doubles to do their prison time for them.

In May 2009, a wealthy 20-year-old was drag racing through the city streets of Hangzhou, China, when his Mitsubishi struck and killed a pedestrian in a crosswalk. The car was traveling so fast that the victim—a 25-year-old telecom engineer of a modest, rural background—was flung at least 20 yards. Afterward, bystanders and reporters photographed the driver, Hu Bin, as well as his rich friends, who nonchalantly smoked cigarettes and laughed while waiting for the police to arrive at the scene.

These images, soon posted online, provoked a public outcry. Anger over the callous behavior of these wealthy Chinese youths was followed by accusations of a police cover-up. First, the local authorities admitted that they had underestimated the speed Hu’s vehicle was traveling by half. (Incredibly, the police had first suggested that Hu was going no more than 43 mph.) Public furor rose again when Hu received a three-year prison sentence, an exceptionally light punishment in a country where drunk drivers guilty of similar accidents can receive the death penalty.

But the most stunning allegation was that the man appearing in court and serving the three-year sentence wasn’t Hu at all, but a hired body double.

The charge isn’t as far-fetched as it may sound. The practice of hiring “body doubles” or “stand-ins” is well-documented by official Chinese media. In 2009, a hospital president who caused a deadly traffic accident hired an employee’s father to “confess” and serve as his stand-in. A company chairman is currently charged with allegedly arranging criminal substitutes for the executives of two other companies. In another case, after hitting and killing a motorcyclist, a man driving without a license hired a substitute for roughly $8,000. The owner of a demolition company that illegally demolished a home earlier this year hired a destitute man, who made his living scavenging in the rubble of razed homes, and promised him $31 for each day the “body double” spent in jail. In China, the practice is so common that there is even a term for it: ding zui. Ding means “substitute,” and zui means “crime”; in other words, “substitute criminal.”

The ability to hire so-called substitute criminals is just one way in which China’s extreme upper crust are able to live by their own set of rules. While Occupy Wall Street grabbed attention for its attacks on the “1 percent,” in China, a much smaller fraction of the country controls an even greater amount of wealth. The top one-tenth of 1 percent in China controls close to half of the country’s riches. The children and relatives of China’s rulers, many of whom grew up together, form a thicket of mutually beneficial relationships, with many able to enrich themselves financially and, if necessary, gain protection from criminal allegations.

more

China’s wealthy and influential sometimes hire body doubles to serve their prison sentences - Slate Magazine

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I don't care if some wanker finds Jesus or even Waldo...it's off to jail for your minimum mandatory I say. Preferably in the newly constructed Arctic Holding Pens. ;-)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't care if some wanker finds Jesus or even Waldo...it's off to jail for your minimum mandatory I say. Preferably in the newly constructed Arctic Holding Pens. ;-)

Did you ever wonder why it's harder to find Waldo than to find Jesus? No. Must be just me then. ;)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Did you ever wonder why it's harder to find Waldo than to find Jesus? No. Must be just me then. ;)

Waldo wears that hipster urban camouflage whereas Jesus just threw on the ol' bright white robe?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Waldo wears that hipster urban camouflage

I never realized it was so well thought out. I always just assumed he got lucky and hung out with really large groups of people who were all wearing stripes.

whereas Jesus just threw on the ol' bright white robe?

The whole glowing thing does make him easy to spot in a crowd.

There's evidence it was brown.

I thought that was just when he showed up on a taco, so he didn't clash. ;)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
yup... but don't take my word for it.... ask SLM and your lovely wife.