Vatican: "The rape is less serious than abortion"

Monsieur

Nominee Member
Jul 30, 2012
Carcassonne
The Vatican justifies the excommunication of a Brazilian mother and doctors, for the abortion of a 9 year old girl. The child had been raped by her stepfather, he is not excommunicated.

Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, prefect of the Congregation for Bishops at the Vatican defended the excommunication of the mother of a 9 year old Brazilian who have had abortions after being raped by her stepfather because she was carrying twins "had the right to live", we learn this Monday, March 9.
The Archbishop of Recife in northeastern Brazil Thursday excommunicated the child's mother, who aborted twins when she was pregnant fifteen weeks.
The excommunication was extended to the entire medical team who performed the operation, but not the step-father of the child because "rape is less serious than abortion," said Giovanni Battista Re

"Always protect life"

"It's a sad case, but the real problem is that the twins conceived were two innocent persons, who had the right to live and who could not be removed," said Monsignor Re, who is also president of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America.
"Always protect the life, the attack against the Brazilian Church is unjustified," he said.
"Excommunication for those who caused abortion is just", as this is "always the removal of an innocent life," said the prefect of the Congregation for Bishops, including power to elect bishops.

Lula against the Conservatives

Friday, Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has sharply criticized the excommunication of the Archbishop of Recife, "deeply deploring as a Christian and a Catholic bishop of the Catholic Church also has a conservative behavior".
Pregnancy of the girl involved high risk and put the child's life in danger. The abortion is still illegal in Brazil except in cases of rape or danger to the life of the mother.

Monsieur

Nominee Member
Jul 30, 2012
Carcassonne
By logic and Nature a religion is Theocratic
and by logic the religions hate democraty for them Demon Craty is for whats historicaly the religions suport tyrants dictators elites etc
Is not a great secret to say the Vatican Clergy have suported numerous military dicatorship in South America, in Europe and have helped to creat Democrat Chrsitian party after the World Wars Two specialy in Europe.
Helped Nazis and Fachists to leave for General Franco Spain or South Africa apartheid , with the help of West secret services

Monsieur

Nominee Member
Jul 30, 2012
Carcassonne
Is existe religions accept freedom but is rare very rare... maybe the Budhist but im not sur Budhists have strong hierachy to and before the chineses occupation the Tibetan people lived in regime semi feudal with Daila Lama for divine Chief of State end church

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
That statement just shows the truth that they diminish women just like many other religions. I was brought up and educated as a RC but have stopped listening to the garbage spewed out of the Vatican for quite a long time.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
3.5 year old news. Can't find anything recent to bash the RCC with?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is 3.5 years old? Really new guy... are you the latest Catholic basher in here Frenchy?

Monsieur

Nominee Member
Jul 30, 2012
Carcassonne
Old new or not is a fact and a attitde of the Church
is not Because is old in inetrresting
now i you wante just modern article not prob

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Old new or not is a fact and a attitde of the Church
is not Because is old in inetrresting
now i you wante just modern article not prob

and your point would be what? What does it matter to you who the Church excommunicates?

I suppose you feel that rape is worse than killing a baby.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am a retired Catholic for this very reason, churches are a part of the ruling machine.
Catholic, Baptist, Hindu,, Muslim. It is the ultimate control mechanism for the masses.
The Catholic church has some variation though, there is a left of center group as well.
I prefer to do my own thing when it comes to thinking about anything. The church has
the problem in that it can't mind its own business. You have to follow their blueprint
for life and that is not for me.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I am a retired Catholic for this very reason, churches are a part of the ruling machine.
Catholic, Baptist, Hindu,, Muslim. It is the ultimate control mechanism for the masses.
The Catholic church has some variation though, there is a left of center group as well.
I prefer to do my own thing when it comes to thinking about anything. The church has
the problem in that it can't mind its own business. You have to follow their blueprint
for life and that is not for me.

Retired Catholic? How about enlightened ex-Catholic? It is policies like this that have one-time Catholics fleeing the church in droves.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A court ordered medical procedure shouldn't be the church's business.

The sad truth is that this case will never, ever, be 'right'. A 9 year old girl's childhood ended, her life could have as well. Two innocents are gone. No matter whose agenda gets met, no matter who wins the argument, none of that changes. Tragedy is all that comes of this, plain and simple, and to my thinking, those left to pick up the pieces are the ones who need to make the decisions. Not me. Not the church. Them, and them alone.

This is the huge rift between vatican doctrine and what actually gets preached in Canadian churches. I've heard priests say more than once, that we are also given brains, and family responsibilities, that we need to balance our family lives against our church views, and that only we can decide how that balance should look. The mother did just that. I can't say I'd have done any differently despite my religious views.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The wrong done against this 9 year old child by the church is sickening, but also not surprising at all,
and they have again shown all of us what a joke they are.

I hope as she grows up, she sees the shallowness and unfeeling attitude of the
church, and directs her life in a better direction than to become a slave to
a group who didn't care anything about her childhood.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm....I find it hard to say they didn't care. If you truly believed that abortion is murder, and a mortal sin, would you think what happened to this girl was 'fixed' by the abortion? I know plenty of people who'd strenuously disagree with this abortion, and their position wouldn't be born out of disregard for the girl at all. The church actually never said or did anything to this girl... it excommunicated the adults involved in her care and the decision to have her undergo an abortion....(save the main one they should have excommunicated imo, the stepfather).

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
RE: "The Vatican justifies the excommunication of a Brazilian mother and doctors, for the abortion of a 9 year old girl."

Aborting a 9 year old girl is far too long term. I don't support abortion after the first trimester, except under unusual circumstances.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
RE: "The Vatican justifies the excommunication of a Brazilian mother and doctors, for the abortion of a 9 year old girl."

Aborting a 9 year old girl is far too long term. I don't support abortion after the first trimester, except under unusual circumstances.

Say what?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yes I am just as outraged by the rape of a 9 year old as everyone else. I hope they lock up the stepfather indefinitely.

Any religious authority that would condemn a child this young having an abortion is pretty screwed up. A pregnant 9 year old having an abortion is justified for safety reasons. As far as the psychological damage is concerned... its too late to undo that harm. I expect this girl will get counseling and thankfully I doubt the Catholic Church will be involved.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

yeah, the wording of the op is a bit humorous even if the subject is not.