WikiLeaks to release two million ‘embarrassing’ hacked Syrian government emails

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
WikiLeaks to release two million ‘embarrassing’ hacked Syrian government emails

LONDON — The WikiLeaks website said on Thursday it had begun publishing more than 2 million emails from Syrian government officials that would embarrass not only Damascus, which is trying to crush a 16-month rebellion, but also its opponents.

WikiLeaks said in a statement the emails were from Syrian political figures, government ministries and companies, dating from August 2006 to March 2012.

The statement quoted WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange as saying: “The material is embarrassing to Syria, but it is also embarrassing to Syria’s opponents.

It helps us not merely to criticise one group or another, but to understand their interests, actions and thoughts. It is only through understanding this conflict that we can hope to resolve it."

WikiLeaks said the emails, which it has called ”The Syria Files“, would shine a light on the inner workings of the Syrian government and economy, and ”also reveal how the West and Western companies say one thing and do another“.

The range of information extends from the intimate correspondence of the most senior Baath party figures to records of financial transfers sent from Syrian ministries to other nations, WikiLeaks said.

The revolt, which started with peaceful pro-democracy protests in March 2011, has turned into a something approaching a civil war as the government’s crackdown triggered an armed uprising.

Opposition leaders and Western governments say more than 15,000 people have been killed in the uprising. The government says ”terrorist gangs“ steered from abroad have killed several thousand troops and police.

WikiLeaks to release two million ‘embarrassing’ hacked Syrian government emails | News | National Post

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Eventually the clowns at wikileaks will piss off a government that has the balls to shut them down permanently.

I imagine pandora's box has been opened on this. Get rid of wikileaks and I imagine it wouldnt be too long before another organization took its place.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's always interesting to read this stuff. I'd love for them to dig into SNC Lavalin's dealings with Libya. That would be quite amusing.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I hope they release the Afghani ones too. Especially the sales pitches that Karzai and his brother were using on the Afghan government systems to sell their Poppies world wide. With the brother now with the Virgins, Hamid has a corner on the entire world Opium market.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Eventually the clowns at wikileaks will piss off a government that has the balls to shut them down permanently.

Oh right. That's what we want, the elimination of an organization that publishes documents governments are too ashamed or too frightened to reveal.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am not against wikki leaks either I think its time scoundrels were exposed
as scoundrels who ever they are.
Besides we hear all this crap about Syria being torture experts and evil. Well
not all that long ago America was sending people there to be tuned up for
information. In fact one Canadian ended up there being mistreated for over a
year as I recall.
Its terrible when they do torture but its OK if they contract to do torture for the major
powers go figure. I hope more stuff comes out and we get to see how evil Syria is
but we will also see how despicable out own governments behave and after that
things might get cleaned up for a while.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh right. That's what we want, the elimination of an organization that publishes documents governments are too ashamed or too frightened to reveal.

But conservatives want less government.

That's why they defend the government from wikileaks.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It still makes them judge, jury and executioner, does it not?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yes we certainly wouldn't want to know what our governments are really thinking and doing. We are much better off only knowing the crap they feed us and to be treated like idiots.

Nice to know that wikileaks has appointed themselves judge, jury and executioner on this.
How is presenting information in a raw form being judge jury and executioner?

.... Or publish your tax return or medical files and history?
When did that happen? Link please?

This thread is quite revealing. Its easy to tell who has a manufactured perception of wikileaks.

For the record I have mixed feeling regarding wikileaks... I support government secrecy to some degree... Medical and other personal records, nuclear weapon designs, and so on must not be revealed publicly.

But when our governments say one thing and do another, or lie and hundreds of thousands of innocent people die as result... then wikileaks is acting for the public good...

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How is presenting information in a raw form being judge jury and executioner?

There is no perspective to the leaked info. Much of what was/is leaked is only a portion of a 'conversation' that may really require full context to understand its entirety.

When did that happen? Link please?

Never said that it happened, the comment was akin to an 'IF' statement.

This thread is quite revealing. Its easy to tell who has a manufactured perception of wikileaks.

Ironic... Wikileaks is the 'manufacturer' of their own public perception.

Medical and other personal records, nuclear weapon designs, and so on must not be revealed publicly.

.. And you are hoping that this hacking group will share the same ideals as yourself on the personal info angle? Considering that the leaked info includes all of the names of the individuals involved and that wikileaks was not provided explicit authorization/permission by the individual to release that info, what will stop Assange from hacking into private systems and publishing anything that he wants?

But when our governments say one thing and do another, or lie and hundreds of thousands of innocent people die as result... then wikileaks is acting for the public good...

Maybe wikileaks can decide to do some good and hack Al Queda or Hamas networks and provide info on the location of the next suicide bombings... That would save a lot of lives too

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Maybe wikileaks can decide to do some good and hack Al Queda or Hamas networks and provide info on the location of the next suicide bombings... That would save a lot of lives too

Maybe they could.

And most of us would applaud the good work if they saved lives, while you would condemn them.