Greek, right-wing member suing after smacking communist on TV

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Greek extremist right-wing party spokesman who slapped communist candidate on live TV sues

The spokesman of Greece’s extreme-right Golden Dawn party, who caused uproar last week by hitting one politician and throwing a glass of water over another during a live TV news program, is suing the two candidates and the television channel that hosted the show.

Ilias Kasidiaris, 31, appeared at an Athens court Monday to submit lawsuits against Communist Party candidate Liana Kanelli and Syriza party member Rena Dourou for unprovoked insult and against Antenna television for illegal detention.

Authorities had issued an arrest warrant for Kasidiaris after he slapped Kanelli three times across the face and threw water over Dourou during a live morning political discussion.

Greek extremist right-wing party spokesman who slapped communist candidate on live TV sues

The original story from last week:

Fascist on the run after TV assault

PROTESTERS across Greece have poured on to the streets, denouncing the ''dark force'' of fascism as the spokesman of the neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party eluded arrest after his extraordinary onscreen assault of two female left-wing politicians. A week before fresh general elections, the fault lines in Greek society are deepening.

On Friday night, as a police manhunt for Ilias Kasidiaris showed little sign of yielding a positive result, the divisions were on full display.

While anti-fascist demonstrators descended on public squares, Golden Dawn supporters crammed into a hotel in Athens to hear their leader, Nikos Michaloliakos, rail against immigrant ''scum'' and the corrupt and crooked system that brought the crisis-hit country to such a ''dark place''.

''There is growing polarisation. People are becoming increasingly radicalised thanks to all the rhetoric in the European Union and here against the anti-austerity leftist majority and that is opening the door for Golden Dawn,'' said veteran activist Petros Constantinou.

Mr Constantinou, who has spent years running an organisation that protects migrants, is convinced the police have facilitated Golden Dawn. ''Without police cover and protection Golden Dawn would not have survived,'' he said.

''How is it possible that a man can do what he did in a television studio and yet manage to get away and stay on the run after a state prosecutor has ordered his arrest? The police clearly don't want to arrest him.''

Dimitris Trimis, the head of the Greek journalists' association, agreed. In a nation where physical violence is rare - and public displays of violence against women even rarer - Kasidiaris' assault on Liana Kanelli and Rena Dourou, during a live TV debate of politicians representing the seven parties that won seats in the inconclusive May 6 election, had clearly shocked Greeks.

TV channels replayed footage showing Kasidiaris, a former army commando, lashing out at Ms Dourou first, hurling a glass of water in her face before turning his fists on Ms Kanelli.

But his ability to evade arrest was entirely plausible, said Mr Trimis. ''Suspicions of the collaboration between the police and Golden Dawn were confirmed at the ballot box in May,'' he said. ''As much as 50 per cent of the police force voted for the party.''

A police spokesman denied the accusations and said special units all over Greece were looking.
Golden Dawn is widely regarded as Europe's most fanatical neo-Nazi party.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I always find it hilarious that a communist could call anyone else fascist with a straight face.

And yet you completely glossed over the fact that a neo-nazi group is being labelled as right-wing extremists. ;)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They're neo-nazis now, are they?

It didn't take you very long to drag that label into the fray

I didn't drag anything, it was in the articles I posted if you actually read them.

And I was actually highlighting the irony of a supposed neo-nazi group being right-wing.

Yeesh.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The fact that you're even defending this douche in the first place (regardless of what political stripe he's from) is beyond me.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I didn't drag anything, it was in the articles I posted if you actually read them.

And I was actually highlighting the irony of a supposed neo-nazi group being right-wing.

Yeesh.

Golden Dawn is a right-wing extremisthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)#cite_note-7 political organization in Greece. It is led by Nikolaos Michaloliakos and has grown from a small, fringe group to a widely reported Greek political party with nationwide support. The party has expressed sympathy with the authoritarian regime of Ioannis Metaxas.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)#cite_note-selfdesc-5 Some commentators and media have described it as neo-Nazihttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)#cite_note-extremismreport-8http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)#cite_note-9 and fascisthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)#cite_note-10 although the group rejects these labels.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The fact that you're even defending this douche in the first place (regardless of what political stripe he's from) is beyond me.

You defend Suzuki... They don't get anymore douche-baggier than him

Obviously not or he wouldn't be whining about being detained.

Is it the TV station that he doesn't own detaining him? If he did own it, would that attack be magically legal?

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
You defend Suzuki... They don't get anymore douche-baggier than him

Is it the TV station that he doesn't own detaining him? If he did own it, would that attack be magically legal?

I think the real douchebags are the ones who have no expertise in the subject,like celebrities "Paul McCartney the old bag Brigitte bardot Pam Anderson.

We should also not disregard info from certain scientific sources,and not those who are paid by special interest to exagerate the effects or minimize the effects.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Golden Dawn is a right-wing extremist political organization in Greece. It is led by Nikolaos Michaloliakos and has grown from a small, fringe group to a widely reported Greek political party with nationwide support. The party has expressed sympathy with the authoritarian regime of Ioannis Metaxas. Some commentators and media have described it as neo-Nazi and fascist although the group rejects these labels.

And you can understand why I already thought it was funny that a right-wing group could also be labelled Nazis, right?

Or is it that every time I type that sentence, the Ninjas show up and erase your memory?

You defend Suzuki... They don't get anymore douche-baggier than him.

I have never defended Suzuki - except for this precise moment - to say that he definitely would not resort to violence to make a point.