Canada and U.S. singled out at summit over drugs, Cuba

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Canada and U.S. singled out at summit over drugs, Cuba - Politics - CBC News

As for letting Cuba in, why not? Free trade has helped promote more freedom in China whereas the embargo has done nothing to loosen up the regime in Cuba (if anything, it's strengthened the regime).

As for legalizing drugs, I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, we need to stamp out the use of narcotics, and if legalization can contribute to achieving that end, then I could be for it. But legalization as a surrender? That I cannot accept.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

As for letting Cuba in, why not? Free trade has helped promote more freedom in China whereas the embargo has done nothing to loosen up the regime in Cuba (if anything, it's strengthened the regime).

As for legalizing drugs, I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, we need to stamp out the use of narcotics, and if legalization can contribute to achieving that end, then I could be for it. But legalization as a surrender? That I cannot accept.
Humans have been using drugs since the dawn of time. Drug addiction has only been around since the pharmacological process of concentration doses was perfected, opium being one of the first, heroin next. Addiction has been created by the pharmaceutical industry and they control the drug trade. Illegal drugs will never be legalized because the duality of the drug trade is far too lucrative and those who control both sides of this industry are not about to give up the trillions in profits it generates. Like war, collateral damage is just part of the equation, it's just business.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The prohibition of drugs has only led to a massive increase in their use. Just as the prohibition of alcohol in the States, between 1919 and 1934, caused a massive increase in drinking, AND built up organized crime to levels that it had never dreamed of.

The laws outlawing marijuana, narcotics, etc. do nothing to stop their use. The ONLY thing that they actually do is drive up crime, on all levels. The users commit crimes to get the money to purchase the vastly overpriced drugs they want (and need); the drug lords commit crimes to protect their turf, and to expand it; and the drug cartels are in open warfare against the governments of their countries.

So, please explain how prohibiting the possession and use of any drug protects anyone?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Now I could see some kind of compromise whereby addicts could be prescribed drugs on condition that they also participate in a compulsory rehabilitation. This way it takes business from the criminals who sell it on the street and also help to combat the problem at the same time.

Another possible solution would be to decriminalize the purchase of such drugs but make the selling of such addictive drugs a capital offense. This way we're not wasting our time with the addict and focussing on the source of the problem instead.

Essentially this would raise the risk to the seller while also taking business away from him, thus essentially not making it a not particularly attractive industry to him anymore.
\
Or if death is too harsh a sentense for ruining countless innocent lives, then how about a life of hard labour, or at least many years of it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Now I could see some kind of compromise whereby addicts could be prescribed drugs on condition that they also participate in a compulsory rehabilitation. This way it takes business from the criminals who sell it on the street and also help to combat the problem at the same time.

Another possible solution would be to decriminalize the purchase of such drugs but make the selling of such addictive drugs a capital offense. This way we're not wasting our time with the addict and focussing on the source of the problem instead.

Essentially this would raise the risk to the seller while also taking business away from him, thus essentially not making it a not particularly attractive industry to him anymore.
\
Or if death is too harsh a sentense for ruining countless innocent lives, then how about a life of hard labour, or at least many years of it.
The problem is that far more people die from legal pharmaceutical drugs than from illegal drugs. Just who are the criminals?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Narcotics just happen to be the best pin killers available. All natural as well, unlike the $hit big pharma churns out and no more addictive.

\

The real menace to society is outfits like Monsanto that are destroying our food crops and poisoning everyone. Now they should be executed.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OEND THE WAR ON DRUGS:!! ARE YOU NUTS??
Why, if they did that there would be wholesale use of..................woops.
Gotta point.

But, try and convince the religious right in the US, their leaders, and the fukkin nut job we have running this country......................into the ground

Best of luck.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Humans have been using drugs since the dawn of time.

True

Drug addiction has only been around since the pharmacological process of concentration doses was perfected, opium being one of the first, heroin next. Addiction has been created by the pharmaceutical industry and they control the drug trade.

False. Addiction has been around as long as most of the drugs have been used recreationally. Literature dating back hundreds of years mentions "drunkards" for instance. Alcoholism is the addiction to alcohol. I am highly sceptical of your claims that opium addicts are a recent introduction as well: it exsited long before the modern pharmceutical industry was born (it existed and was abused in the orient long before events like the opium wars too).

I think the prohibitionist attitude on many drugs (especially ones like marijuana, that are less life threatening and addictive) are counterproductive at times but I'm not convinced blanket legalization of all substances is the way to go either.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

For the most part, Canada and the USA are users. Places like Nicaragua, Cuba, etc. are producers. Why blame the user for using rather than cutting off the source?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Cuba should be let into the OAS to further the opening that is starting there. And legalise drugs too. Economically, Canada has little to offer Latin America, they have resources, we have resources. Canada has to make a little political noise there to get a foothold. Latin America has countries that are actually interested in Canada, but no, Harper wants to focus on Asia, where they barely notice us. In Asia with huge nations and huge problems, we don't rank there.

Harper looks and sounds so bland, and a lapdog to the USA to boot. Looks great for Canada's image abroad acting like a neo-con dullard.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
True

False. Addiction has been around as long as most of the drugs have been used recreationally. Literature dating back hundreds of years mentions "drunkards" for instance. Alcoholism is the addiction to alcohol. I am highly sceptical of your claims that opium addicts are a recent introduction as well: it exsited long before the modern pharmceutical industry was born (it existed and was abused in the orient long before events like the opium wars too).

I think the prohibitionist attitude on many drugs (especially ones like marijuana, that are less life threatening and addictive) are counterproductive at times but I'm not convinced blanket legalization of all substances is the way to go either.
Opium is a naturally occurring drug. Heroin was artificially refined as a pain killer, touted as being superior to opium. Who refined it? Most natrally occurring drugs, like pot, peyote, psilocybin and Ayahuasca and many others have been used ceremonially by humans for thousands of years to expand human consciousness.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Canada has no trade deals in Asia. Getting really really really close though. We want to send cars to South Korea and Japan in a trade deal, they say "piss off white boys". And our trade deficit with China is only $23 billion in 2011, down from $28 billion in 2009. Stellar? Did you notice that China is booming? Not stellar.

But we have "gateways" especially through Vancouver. High five!!! And a lot of fantastic Asian immigration that strangely is not turning into new Asian export markets-plenty of great human capital though, awesome!!!! But we're going to send tons and tons and tons of unrefined tar sands crude to them!!! I love Alberta and Harper. So savvy that crowd is.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Canada+playing+catch+Asia+leap+ahead/6438785/story.html

Such an idiot he is. Learn to read.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Interesting comments on this one. first of all Pat Robertson the leading Evangelist has
come in favor of ending the war on drugs, saying its not working and making criminals
out of people who are not. In addition the only reason pot is illegal is because the day
they ended prohibition, the FBI would have been out of business, so they started the
war on the killer drug. Yes pot was a killer drug they showed pictures of people tearing
out their hair they were so addicted.
Dentists used cocaine until sometime into the 1930's then they made that illegal too.
Queen Victoria used drugs and so did some of the leading people in society, wow
shows not much has changed.
Drugs were part of every army in the ancient world as well and the price is kept high
by keeping them illegal. One group organized crime wants to have drugs illegal and
the religious community up until now has wanted them illegal because they were associated
with sin.
Go figure, some people believe half the Bible and other religious books were written by
people on drugs.
I personally wonder why people need to use them but just because I don't does not mean
others should be prevented from using them it is time to end the war and begin to
find a different method for dealing with the aftermath when people want to leave them
behind.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
6K That your rank in the Ku Klux Klan?

Opium is a naturally occurring drug. Heroin was artificially refined as a pain killer, touted as being superior to opium. Who refined it? Most natrally occurring drugs, like pot, peyote, psilocybin and Ayahuasca and many others have been used ceremonially by humans for thousands of years to expand human consciousness.
yeah, mostly to get in touch with gods. lol

lol So he is. I guess maybe he should learn to read.
From Canada's Merchandise Trade with South Korea | Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
Canadian Exports to South Korea
Minerals, fuels, oils 30.89%
Canadian imports from S. Korea
Motor vehicles, trailers, bicycles, motorcycles 32.55% Slight trade deficit there, but there is trade. 30+% is hardly negligible.

Also from the Asia-Pacific Foundation:
Canadian exports to China Woodpulp; paper or paperboard scraps 16.52%
Imports from China Electrical machinery and equipment 22.61%

According to Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( MOFA: Japan-Canada Relations )
Exports to Canada: 1.24 trillion yen (automobiles, auto parts, machines and equipment)
Imports from Canada: 1.17 trillion yen (lumber, pork, canola, pulp, sea foods and coals)

Yeah, Canadian-Asian trade is insignificant. :rolleyes:
From your Ottawa Citizen editorial: "we have no full trade agreements". That does not mean there is no trade. Learn to read.
You are an idiot.

Oh, and BTW, we do have trade with Latin American countries: http://larc.ucalgary.ca/canada-latin-america-bilateral-trade

Last edited: