'Israel Loves Iran' initiative a hit on Facebook

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
'Israel Loves Iran' initiative takes off on Facebook

Ronny Edry and his wife Michal Tamir, together with "Pushpin Mehina", a small preparatory school for graphic design students, uploaded posters to Facebook depicting images of themselves with their children alongside the words, "Iranians, we will never bomb your country, we [heart] you."

Attached to each poster was the caption, "To the Iranian people, To all the fathers, mothers, children, brothers and sisters, For there to be a war between us, first we must be afraid of each other, we must hate. I'm not afraid of you, I don't hate you. I don t even know you. No Iranian ever did me no harm."

"I'm not an official representative of my country. I m [sic] a father and a teacher", wrote Edry, adding that he wishes to send a message on behalf of his neighbors, family, students and friends. "[W]e love you. We mean you no harm", he wrote. "On the contrary, we want to meet, have some coffee and talk about sports."

In a conversation with Haaretz, Edry explained that he hoped his initiative would reach the Iranian citizens, but admitted that he never believed it would gain so much momentum. "On my Facebook page I have left-wing friends who always speak of these things; they all agree with me. Every so often a right-winger answers me saying what we're on about is rubbish, but I've never spoken to an Iranian." "I thought that when you're constantly surrounded by talk of threats and war, you are so stressed and afraid that you crawl into a sort of shell and think to yourself how lucky we are to also have bombs and how lucky we are that we'll clean them out first," he said. "So I thought, 'Why not try to reach the other side; to bypass the generals and see if they [Iranians] really hate me?'"

At first, the posters were castigated, said Edry. "After the first poster people started criticizing me, saying I'm an idiot, that I’m naïve. 'Why are you telling them you love them? Why are you giving up before the war has even started?'" But very quickly the posters became a hit: the first image gained hundreds of "Likes" and "Shares," and numerous people asked to join the initiative.

It was not long before reactions from Iranians began trickling through. "I never imagined that within 48 hours I would be speaking to the other side," said Edry, who explained that most of the Iranians' messages had been coming through in private, but that there had been some who invited him to be their Facebook friend.

In a conversation that took place on Saturday evening, after a full day spent in front of the computer chatting to Israelis and Iranians, Edry was buzzing with excitement. "Something insane is going on here," said Edry. "I was just having a conversation with a few Iranians, trying to convince them to send me photos of themselves, and they told me that we [Israelis] might be able to publish photos, but they risk going to jail over such a thing." In the meanwhile, they conversed via private messages, with their identities concealed.

However, by Sunday morning, Edry began receiving the first signs of reactions from the other side.

"We also love you. Your words are reaching us despite the censorship," wrote one Facebook user from Iran. "The Iranian people, apart from the regime, do not hold a grudge nor animosity against anyone, especially not the Israelis… We never saw Israelis as our enemies. As such, the regime cannot gain public support for war."

"The hatred was invented by the propaganda of the regime, which will die soon", continued the Iranian Facebook user. "The ayatollah will die soon. [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad will disappear. He is nothing more than an opportunist, and more than anything – an idiot. Everyone hates him. We love you, love, peace. And thanks for your message."

'Israel Loves Iran' initiative takes off on Facebook - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Funny how a positive thing gets no attention. I just hope the war mongers are paying attention. Any aggression by either side will end in massive deaths of innocents. I just wish people would wake up to the fact that all people are the same and just want peace. Governments foment this crap to justify making money for the rich pricks who make armaments. War is for the brain dead. As we used to say, "what if they held a war and nobody showed up?"

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Actually, it's pretty sad - but your point is well made.
I think we have been conditioned to be pissed at somebody for something, for whatever reason just so some fat phuk can make a bundle off our anger. People seem to love hating someone or being in a constant state of fear. Fear is an addictive drug it seems as so many are wired to it.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I hope that message gets from Israel to Iran. Hopefully ordinary Iranians will return this message.

As I have always said, ordinary civilians aren't the problem. Its our crazy leaders.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I hope that message gets from Israel to Iran. Hopefully ordinary Iranians will return this message.

As I have always said, ordinary civilians aren't the problem. Its our crazy leaders.

The problem is Iran has been at war with Israel for decades.

Netanyahu has his twists, but he is not crazy.

Khamenei and Ahmadinejad most definitely ARE crazy.

When Ahmadinejad is the moderate choice, you know you have a problem.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The problem is Iran has been at war with Israel for decades.

Netanyahu has his twists, but he is not crazy.

Khamenei and Ahmadinejad most definitely ARE crazy.

When Ahmadinejad is the moderate choice, you know you have a problem.
Sayeth the believer in war propaganda. You are being lied to and manipulated to get your support for a BullSh!t excuse to start another slaughter of innocents.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If you have a problem with one neighbor, then the real problem could be you or your neighbor. But if you have problems with all your neighbors, then the most likely cause is you.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you have a problem with one neighbor, then the real problem could be you or your neighbor. But if you have problems with all your neighbors, then the most likely cause is you.
I'm sure the new black family in a 1950's neighbourhood, would appreciate your silly assertion.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This reminds me a guy who said he had had relationships with a number of very beautiful women but they all went to hell in a hand basket. He pondered why that could be, what was the common denominator. All he could find was that he was the only common denominator.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sayeth the believer in war propaganda. You are being lied to and manipulated to get your support for a BullSh!t excuse to start another slaughter of innocents.

I'm sorry, Cliffy....I live in the real world.

You know, the one where Iran is a nutcase theocracy where gays are hanged and adulterous women stoned to death. The one in which Iran and Syria have been pulling the strings of Hamas and Hezbollah for years........to say nothing of arming them to the teeth.

If you have some evidence to the contrary, please, feel free to present it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm sorry, Cliffy....I live in the real world.

You know, the one where Iran is a nutcase theocracy where gays are hanged and adulterous women stoned to death. The one in which Iran and Syria have been pulling the strings of Hamas and Hezbollah for years........to say nothing of arming them to the teeth.

If you have some evidence to the contrary, please, feel free to present it.
Perhaps, but so what. It is not our business. It is the business of the people of Iran to make the changes. From what I hear, Israel is involved in their own form of interference in Iranian affairs. It is not a chicken or egg sort of thing. It is mutual aggression on the part of both governments. This will never lead to peace. The people will have to get their sh!t together and replace the war mongers. It is not our job to interfere. We have enough problems at home. They have to work out their own karma.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Iran and Saudi Arabia are about equally screwed up. If people only point to Iran as a country ran by crazies, and are OK with Saudi Arabia or ignore Saudi Arabia, then that's a clue they are influenced by anti-Iran demonizing propaganda.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Iran and Saudi Arabia are about equally screwed up. If people only point to Iran as a country ran by crazies, and are OK with Saudi Arabia or ignore Saudi Arabia, then that's a clue they are influenced by anti-Iran demonizing propaganda.
Oh goodie, I'm not influenced...pheww.