Nanny State has CCTV cameras installed at gas stations

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
that will automatically stop the pump if an uninsured car tries to fill up

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.

more

CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel - Mirror Online

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.

more

CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel - Mirror Online

"The proof is in the pudding", if it works why not?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Interesting how something designed to inhibit lawbreakers is suddenly called a product of the Nanny State. Commenting about Big Brother watching would be more appropriate.

As for the overall idea, I have no issues: if the car isn't insured, then why is it on the road? Part of the agreement to drive is to obey the laws pertaining to the use of motor vehicles and the public roads. Insurance lapsed? TFB: pay attention to your responsibilities as a driver and you won't have the issue.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
good point. you don't need a license to buy gas for your gas-powered tools.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

more

Sounds like a good idea to me. Helps catch nitwits who would drive off without paying, and those who
don't have insurance. Why is this not a good idea?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Because you can buy gas with a gerry can?

Creating a blackmarket where there wasn't one before is just plain retarded.

What are you saying petros? We just turn a blind eye to jerks breaking the law? I have a one gallon
can that I use for the lawn mower. It lasts for most of the Summer. I have no sympathy for law breakers
and why should I?

What are you saying petros? We just turn a blind eye to jerks breaking the law? I have a one gallon
can that I use for the lawn mower. It lasts for most of the Summer. I have no sympathy for law breakers
and why should I?

Get the driver's licence number of anyone filling a five gallon gerry can.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
why not? the cost increase to you, the tax-payer, will not be offset by whatever fines or fees they'll reap from its use. the equipment has to be purchased, installed, maintained, and I suppose insured as they will make great targets for those who want to underline what a dumb idea it is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Because you can buy gas with a gerry can?

Creating a blackmarket where there wasn't one before is just plain retarded.

Why can't a vehicle be photographed while the Jerry can is being filled? (Unless the guy is on foot of course)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
why not? the cost increase to you, the tax-payer, will not be offset by whatever fines or fees they'll reap from its use. the equipment has to be purchased, installed, maintained, and I suppose insured as they will make great targets for those who want to underline what a dumb idea it is.

What is your answer 55Mercury?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
and why should I?

Get the driver's licence number of anyone filling a five gallon gerry can.
Is it illegal use a gerry can? Why make it illegal to use one?

It's a case of nunya.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Most businesses have cameras installed anyway, so I hesitate to buy the argument about equipment being purchased. If we have to have technology we may as well use it. Who pays the cost when an uninsured driver has/causes a $million accident?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Interesting how something designed to inhibit lawbreakers is suddenly called a product of the Nanny State.

um... I think the term Nanny State in this case is in reference to the UK, which ever increasingly earns its reputation as the quintessential nanny state.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Most businesses have cameras installed anyway, so I hesitate to buy the argument about equipment being purchased. If we have to have technology we may as well use it. Who pays the cost when an uninsured driver has/causes a $million accident?

Exactly. It must be a good idea to stop people driving off without paying. By the same token catching uninsured drivers with existing equipment can't be bad.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
who will pay for someone to monitor hours of footage?