Oil prices fall after Gadhafi's death

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Gadhafi leaves Libyan oil at a crossroads

Ousted leader Moammar Gadhafi sat on a lot of oil. That, plus his often bizarre political antics and a legacy of state-sponsored terrorism, gave him a far higher profile than any tin-pot dictator deserves.

Now he’s gone. Read about Gadhafi's death.

What’s not gone is Libya’s oil. The nation still sits on about 41 billion barrels of oil, ranking its reserves first in Africa and ninth in the world.

Most of it is high-quality crude in close proximity to Europe. It is hands-down the one asset that put Libya on the modern world map.

Libya was pumping about 1.6 million barrels of oil a day before the March revolt shut down its exports. Production has gradually ramped up as the fighting died down and workers could be safely sent in to repair damaged or neglected facilities. Meanwhile, Libya’s National Transitional Council has assured the industry that they’ll honor existing production licenses and delivery contracts. At least for now.

So what’s this mean for the oil market? Since 1.6 million barrels per day is less than 2% of global demand, it’s not likely to have a huge impact on oil prices. Except in Europe. That’s because about 85% of Libya’s oil goes to European refiners. Restoring Libyan oil exports should eventually shrink the price spread between North Sea Brent Blend, Europe’s benchmark crude, and West Texas Intermediate, the U.S. benchmark.

That’s the likely short-term impact. But Gadhafi’s final exit raises much bigger long-term questions. What kind of government will Libya put in place? Will the country come under the sway of fundamentalist Muslim leaders or seek a more secular government? And will it adopt a less contentious relationship with Saudi Arabia and its other fellow OPEC members?

At this point, no one knows. Perhaps least of all the Libyans themselves, who face the daunting task of forming a single government in a nation rife with tribal rivalries and divergent ideologies.

In this volatile mix, there’s a strong possibility oil could emerge as Libya’s common denominator. Drafting a cohesive energy policy is essential to ensuring the nation’s future. But it could also divide. Oil has a long history of generating enormous wealth while sowing extreme discontent. Gadhafi’s tight-fisted control of Libya’s petro-dollars was a key reason he held power for so long. It’s also a key reason he lost it.

Gadhafi leaves Libyan oil at a crossroads - MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch

Oil prices fall after Gadhafi's death

The price of oil is falling after the death of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, although it should take months for Libya's oil industry to recover and for the full impact to be felt on world markets.

Oil fell 33 cents to $85.28 per barrel in New York on Thursday. At the pump, the price of gasoline was flat at about $3.47 a gallon.

Before the Libyan civil war, Libya had provided the world's markets will 1.5 million barrels of oil a day. When Libya stopped exporting that oil, it helped push the price of oil to $114 a barrel earlier this year.

Oil prices fall after Gadhafi's death - BusinessWeek

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Fell flat at $3.47 a GALLON. I haven't been out yet today to see if prices are up or down but they are probably the same. That would be $5.19.6 for 4 litres (almost a gallon). I guess I wouldn't mind paying the flat $3.47 for a gallon of gas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Fell flat at $3.47 a GALLON. I haven't been out yet today to see if prices are up or down but they are probably the same. That would be $5.19.6 for 4 litres (almost a gallon). I guess I wouldn't mind paying the flat $3.47 for a gallon of gas.
Still around $1.40 a litre there?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Still around $1.40 a litre there?
Did I do my math wrong? It's 129.9 here. That times 4 = $5.19.6 so - no, not quite. It's 1.29.9 but a couple of weeks ago it was popping up and down daily or sometimes hourly anywhere from $121.9 - 134.9 and in one place 137.9. Our son lives up Island so we get to see the various prices. About midway to Victoria prices are lower but in Victoria they are higher. It's weird.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did I do my math wrong? It's 129.9 here. That times 4 = $5.19.6 so - no, not quite. It's 1.29.9 but a couple of weeks ago it was popping up and down daily or sometimes hourly anywhere from $121.9 - 134.9 and in one place 137.9. Our son lives up Island so we get to see the various prices. About midway to Victoria prices are lower but in Victoria they are higher. It's weird.
It hit $141.9 in BBY when I was there.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We're down to $1.22/L here, but it was wavering between $1.25 - $1.30/L the last few weeks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Really? Oh wait I forgot. AB needed some hard cash so it raised royalties and a out right sales of oil resources to Beijing so you can fund the planet except Beijing?

Why can't you run your province on lower royalties? Won't all the companies leave and run away for ever and ever and ever?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
AB needed some hard cash so it raised royalties

I can understand your confusion here. AB didn't need the money per se, as much as we wanted it.

Ya see, some day when you folks in Sask plow some capital into resource related infrastructure, you too will be in a position to charge for that benefit.

Until then, you'll just have to compete on the cheap royalty thingy.