NATO nations set to reap spoils of Libya war

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It looks like the more telling news on Libya has migrated to the business pages. With jubilant reporting of Gaddafi's imminent downfall seizing headlines, it's the financial pages that have the clinical analysis. So, for instance, it is in this section that the Independent reports a "dash for profit in the post-war Libya carve up".

Similarly, Reuters, under the headline, "Investors eye promise, pitfalls in post-Gaddafi Libya" noted that a new government in that country could "herald a bonanza for Western companies and investors".

Before Tripoli has completely fallen, before Gaddafi and his supporters have stepped down and before the blood dries on the bodies that have yet to be counted, Western powers are already eyeing up what they view us just rewards for the intervention.

There are no more illusions over how far NATO forces exceeded the UN security resolution that mandated its campaign. For months, NATO officials insisted it was operating within brief - an air campaign, designed to protect civilians under threat of attack. But now it is described as an "open secret" that NATO countries were operating undercover, on the ground.

Add to that the reluctance to broker a negotiated exit, the practice of advising, arming and training the rebels, and the spearheading of an escalation in violence and it looks like NATO's job morphed from protecting civilians to regime change.

more...

NATO nations set to reap spoils of Libya war - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Really, is there any other reason for killing a **** load of people?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They shouldn't hurry I think when the dust settles the people who end up in power will neither be
friends of the people or the west, the real games are about to begin.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The West Wants to take Control of Libya's Oil Wealth

The West Wants to take Control of Libya's Oil Wealth

gee, surprise, surprise. Who woulda thunk it??

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
At the bottom of the page..................
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Centre for Research on Globalization. The contents of this article are of sole responsibility of the author(s). The Centre for Research on Globalization will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The only real problem I have with this Libyan intervention is in principle, I think it is wrong to go in planning a regime change. But that is an ethical issue ......

Overall, even though I wish it could have been done differently....... I am glad that Ghadaffi is getting his uppence. and being booted out. Of course......... one has to hope that what replaces him is better for Libya and its people and someone that can work with the west in a constructive and positive way .......NOT BECOME a US puppet.....which has been the pattern of these interventions.

being west friendly is important......but not the key requirement.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I like like backing al Qaeda and REAL ethnic cleansing. Best thing Ottawa has done this year.

AU: Libyan rebels may be killing black people - CBS News

Asia Times Online :: THE ROVING EYE: How al-Qaeda got to rule in Tripoli

How al-Qaeda got to rule in Tripoli
By Pepe Escobar

His name is Abdelhakim Belhaj. Some in the Middle East might have, but few in the West and across the world would have heard of him.

Time to catch up. Because the story of how an al-Qaeda asset turned out to be the top Libyan military commander in still war-torn Tripoli is bound to shatter - once again - that wilderness of mirrors that is the "war on terror", as well as deeply compromising the carefully constructed propaganda of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's (NATO's) "humanitarian" intervention in Libya.