Look, kitten, I am too a feminist

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Look, Kitten, I Am Too A Feminist! Fauxminism and Men

By Megan Milanese

Megan is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida where she received her BA in women’s studies. She is a fan of feminism, pop culture, and reproductive rights. Megan is not a fan of fake feminism, however, and currently blogs at STFU Fauxminists on Tumblr and tweets under the same handle.

It’s great when men identify as feminists. Really, it is. It’s great when anyone identifies as a feminist. What’s more important, however, is actually sticking to the tenets of that identity and philosophy. This is important for feminists from all walks of life, but it becomes particularly paramount when men claim the title of feminist. Many a woman-identified feminist is unwilling to speak out against men who self-ID with the movement for fear of alienating them from the cause all together – or worse – becoming the man-hating stereotype. However, it’s time to speak the unspeakable. I am totally ok with being labeled a man-hater if it means that feminism can better serve those it is meant for. So here goes: fauxminism in male, masculine-identified allies is a problem, and it needs addressing.
There, I said it.
So how do you tell if a man you are conversing with (or perhaps know, love, and/or are friends with) is, in fact, a fauxminist?

Read the article to find out...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So, male feminists, don’t be that guy. Okay?

So, feminists, don't be that girl. You know, that annoying one. The one that talks a lot about equality and feminism, but doesn't actually do anything. The one that wants government programs to do everything, but doesn't want to partake of the capitalist system to actually accomplish something useful. The one that gets a degree in women's studies, because that entitles her to write papers for the rest of her life.

You want equality? Go out and do something. Exactly the same advice I give men. Stop whining, and go do something.

Okay?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Ahhhh... you got to love our Universities. Lay up Ten-P... it is the only place where she will get to act like out like that... unless of course she gets a job with Higher-Ed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was left with one resoundingly LOUD question ringing in my head....

Why would a man want to be a feminist?

I can resoundingly say that I am NOT an advocate of men's rights. I drool over scantily clad images of idealized men. I interupt men if I feel that they don't know what they're talking about. I will stereotype men. I WILL tell you to man up if I feel your testosterone is running a little low.

Why on EARTH should a man be expected to not be as base as me?

I'm a humanist. I think it's important that people get fair treatment in the work place, fair wages, etc. But I also REALLY enjoy the differences in the sexes, and refuse to pretend they don't exist. Why should any man be expected to?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Ahhhh... you got to love our Universities. Lay up Ten-P... it is the only place where she will get to act like out like that... unless of course she gets a job with Higher-Ed.

Well, I have a mother who got a degree in geology in 1948, worked for the provincial geologist, and a grandmother who got a degree in Library Science in 1917, wrote books and screenplays, etc.

They didn't waste their time writing papers about how rough the women of the world had things, they went out and did something. I'm tired of whiny people who write about how someone else should do stuff.

Go put your brain to work in a useful way and accomplish something. Too many people work for organizations that do nothing except write reports about other stuff that people should do.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One of my favorite lines about Feminism was actually from a Canadian movie. This teacher at an all girl's high school was chastising a girl for talking but the teacher said she was gabbing...

The girl's friend stood up and said....

"Gabbing?... GABBBING?... Gabbing is a word that men use to make us feel like s***!"

Why would a man want to be a feminist?

Well the girl was right... fear. They are afraid of women like this because one slip up at all and a woman like this can make a man's life a living hell.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
In the olden days, men would throw their coat over a puddle to keep women from getting their feet wet. The modern feminist, male and female, has a new solution. Equality Rules!