Who has what it takes to live outside the box?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't want to be so free that I end up running at a moving car, ...... or am I supposed to be the driver?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In the vid, the driver was trying to run over a person, take it off-road, at least, if you can't pay attention to pedestrian traffic.
It was a stunt. I have seen it done before. Both were fully aware of what they were doing.

Outside the box? Come up with an original metaphor and maybe I'll believe you're special. ;)
What makes you think I want to be special? The Matrix/status quo/box are interchangeable and useful because most people know what we are talking about. I could make one up but if nobody knows the metaphor, what good is it? We could use the metaphor of the life of Jesus, but that would just piss off the religious.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It was a stunt. I have seen it done before. Both were fully aware of what they were doing.

What makes you think I want to be special? The Matrix/status quo/box are interchangeable and useful because most people know what we are talking about. I could make one up but if nobody knows the metaphor, what good is it?

Morpheus!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
For the most part, people would probably say I'm 'in the box', but, I can't help but laugh sometimes at how some people will give up what they want, what they enjoy, just because it's popular, because they want to live on the fringe.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
For the most part, people would probably say I'm 'in the box', but, I can't help but laugh sometimes at how some people will give up what they want, what they enjoy, just because it's popular, because they want to live on the fringe.
When I dropped out and moved to the forest, I gave up nothing and embraced a whole new way of being. To own nothing is to own everything. Life in all its myriad forms is free of encumbrances. There is a law that says the Universe abhors a vacuum. To have nothing opens you to receive the abundance of the Universe. It is so contrary to what we have been told, that it is difficult for most people to comprehend.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There's a big difference in running towards something compared to running away from something. You don't have to be in the forest to hear silence. (so to speak) I like the forest because it has many corners.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I dropped out and moved to the forest, I gave up nothing and embraced a whole new way of being. To own nothing is to own everything. Life in all its myriad forms is free of encumbrances. There is a law that says the Universe abhors a vacuum. To have nothing opens you to receive the abundance of the Universe. It is so contrary to what we have been told, that it is difficult for most people to comprehend.

It's not very difficult for me to comprehend. I grew up being told to question the need for things. In other words, I grew up poor with parents who spun it so that we didn't realize at the time we were poor. lol. I have stuff now, but my stuff doesn't have me. My kids are raised with the same attitude. Not too long ago, looking at the idea of moving overseas, they were told to mentally pare their lives down to what would fit in a suitcase. It took almost nothing for us to figure out what we'd take, and the rest is all irrelevant.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's not very difficult for me to comprehend. I grew up being told to question the need for things. In other words, I grew up poor with parents who spun it so that we didn't realize at the time we were poor. lol. I have stuff now, but my stuff doesn't have me. My kids are raised with the same attitude. Not too long ago, looking at the idea of moving overseas, they were told to mentally pare their lives down to what would fit in a suitcase. It took almost nothing for us to figure out what we'd take, and the rest is all irrelevant.
For me it was the opposite. Raised in suburbia, I saw the futility of my father trying to provide us with everything he had to do without. It broke him because it was basically meaningless pursuit of stuff, working a job that robbed him of his dignity and creativity and eventually killed him. His generation hitched their self identity to their jobs and their social status only to find that it left a black hole where their soul used to be. I watched my grandfathers retire and die from boredom and loss of self esteem. So I retired from the rat race at 26 and went of to discover the meaning of life. Monty Python are the Holy Grail.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What makes you think I want to be special?

I never said you want to be special. I said you think you are. That video isn't how you imagine yourself? I've read what you post ;)

The Matrix/status quo/box are interchangeable and useful because most people know what we are talking about. I could make one up but if nobody knows the metaphor, what good is it?
A good metaphor should be easily understood. A cliched metaphor is just lazy and yours is ironic considering what you're asking us to do. You're telling us to think differently using a long dead cliche which has so permeated corporate and factory-school culture as to have lost all real meaning. Yeah, "the establishment" has been telling me to think outside the box my whole life. This latest exhortation from you, even in the same tired language, hasn't changed anything. You're just a part of that same cacophonous loop. **** all y'all. I'll think however the hell I feel like without concern for my spatial relation to any box, thank you ;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I never said you want to be special. I said you think you are. That video isn't how you imagine yourself? I've read what you post ;)

A good metaphor should be easily understood. A cliched metaphor is just lazy and yours is ironic considering what you're asking us to do. You're telling us to think differently using a long dead cliche which has so permeated corporate and factory-school culture as to have lost all real meaning. Yeah, "the establishment" has been telling me to think outside the box my whole life. This latest exhortation from you, even in the same tired language, hasn't changed anything. You're just a part of that same cacophonous loop. **** all y'all. I'll think however the hell I feel like without concern for my spatial relation to any box, thank you ;)
I guess if I was interested in reaching the jaded, I would think of something more entertaining. The fact is that I posted it because I thought it would possibly stimulate conversation - an escape from the fighting over politics . I kinda thought that is what a forum was all about. And I wasn't saying "think outside the box". I was talking about "escaping the Matrix" but that is just another tired cliche, but I am too lazy to come up with something else at this time.