Too many pills

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is a disturbing article in the March '11 issue of Readers Digest. Over medication is one of the biggest health problems seniors have today and is a major reason many of them find themselves in hospital. To quote "In 2005 Canadian seniors age 60-69 took an average of 35 different prescribed medications a year, while those age 80 or older took an average of 74. And in 2008 approximately 62% of all elderly Canadians claimed to be taking more than five different types of drugs at once"........................scary sh*t to say the least. And you can't rely on your doctor to rectify it, but you should question him very carefully upon receiving a new prescription. Get all your prescriptions through one druggist and make sure he's aware of your entire regimen. Not only is this a major health problem, but just think what it's doing to seniors financially. Read the article on Page 63.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It ain't medication either, it's crap, most of the junk has very low efficacy levels. Nobody would make you take junk knowing it would do you no good at all and in fact likely will only result in your growing drug account, would they? We eat the food that fuels the drug industry don't we? We are more productive to the bankers if we're sick and dependent, aren't we? We are consumers, if the medical establishment keeps you coming back to the dealers, then the entire program is a screaming bleeding success story, our continued poor health makes money. Nothing profitable will ever be cured. War on cancer, my ass.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It ain't medication either, it's crap, most of the junk has very low efficacy levels. Nobody would make you take junk knowing it would do you no good at all and in fact likely will only result in your growing drug account, would they? We eat the food that fuels the drug industry don't we? We are more productive to the bankers if we're sick and dependent, aren't we? We are consumers, if the medical establishment keeps you coming back to the dealers, then the entire program is a screaming bleeding success story, our continued poor health makes money.

The other side of this equation begs the question: Why are people taking so much medication in the first place?

Nothing profitable will ever be cured. War on cancer, my ass.

No doubt, there is no profit in shooting the goose that lays the golden egg.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The other side of this equation begs the question: Why are people taking so much medication in the first place?

My guess is for several different reasons, one being the patient puts the pressure on the doctor to provide relief, the second being the doctor hopes the medication will eliminate the necessity for a painstaking diagnosis process. I had a smart doctor at one place I lived who would give me a prescription with advice to save it for a few days before getting it filled, guessing the malady would clear up on its own.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I would hope that the 'painstaking diagnosis process would be demanded by the patient... Bottom-line is that we live in a society that believes there is a pharmacological silver-bullet for any, and everything.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would hope that the 'painstaking diagnosis process would be demanded by the patient... Bottom-line is that we live in a society that believes there is a pharmacological silver-bullet for any, and everything.

Absolutely- just take a look at the number of supplements sold over the counter that can be had just by eating the right foods. The drugstores just promote this sh*t.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Doctors know zip about drugs and very little about medicine, scientists aren't, teachers can't, the law won't, but the banker does.The enemy among you. There are no terrorists worse than those we live with and exalt.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In many cases there is a pharmacological remedy. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, there's all sorts of consequences that arise when the longevity of a human life is stretched.

Excuse the repetition - my computer had a couple of brain dead minutes. :lol:

There's probably a pill for that :D

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In many cases there is a pharmacological remedy. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, there's all sorts of consequences that arise when the longevity of a human life is stretched.

Absolutely- For those two particular conditions BUT in most cases proper diet and exercise can ameliorate the problem and in some cases can solve it altogether without pills. Do the "home remedies" first.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Absolutely- For those two particular conditions BUT in most cases proper diet and exercise can ameliorate the problem and in some cases can solve it altogether without pills. Do the "home remedies" first.

I specifically chose high cholesterol and high blood pressure because those are generally not caused by improper diet or exercise regimens. As the body ages, it's ability to turn cholesterol into other hormones decreases. Blood pressure is a similar story. There are very few "home remedies" that can fix the physiological problems associated with aging cellular, tissues, and organ structures.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I specifically chose high cholesterol and high blood pressure because those are generally not caused by improper diet or exercise regimens. As the body ages, it's ability to turn cholesterol into other hormones decreases. Blood pressure is a similar story. There are very few "home remedies" that can fix the physiological problems associated with aging cellular, tissues, and organ structures.

I've had both problems, starting many years ago- the cholesterol just mildly high, which I have brought within normal limits by limiting animal fat and getting lots of exercise- for the blood pressure I've been on mild medication for years, but weight loss alone does much to correct it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So what would happen if you were taken off your mild medication? As you age, diet and exercise will only get you so far, because as you age, the problem isn't originating from your diet or level of daily activity...

That's why seniors use so many medications. The functioning of their bodies is decreasing, that's life, senescence.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
report happenings like that next time k? If a mod got on later the extra treads might have been buried

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are very few "home remedies" that can fix the physiological problems associated with aging cellular, tissues, and organ structures.
Happiness... absolutely nothing beats happiness for day to day good health and longevity. You can't put that in a pill.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Happiness is addictive, we are undereducated to its pitfalls, increasingly we see our children and elders falling victim to happiness. See your pusher, he will write you a prescription. If some one offers you happiness, just SAY NO, and report them to the crucifixtion police.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So what would happen if you were taken off your mild medication? As you age, diet and exercise will only get you so far, because as you age, the problem isn't originating from your diet or level of daily activity...

That's why seniors use so many medications. The functioning of their bodies is decreasing, that's life, senescence.

yep, I'll always have to be on medication, hopefully mild, Without medication my B.P. would be about 160/100. Salt is another culprit for driving up blood pressure.

Happiness... absolutely nothing beats happiness for day to day good health and longevity. You can't put that in a pill.

Yep - and a sense of humour when you are unhappy.

Happiness is addictive, we are undereducated to its pitfalls, increasingly we see our children and elders falling victim to happiness. See your pusher, he will write you a prescription. If some one offers you happiness, just SAY NO, and report them to the crucifixtion police.

Complacency for sure.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There is a disturbing article in the March '11 issue of Readers Digest. Over medication is one of the biggest health problems seniors have today and is a major reason many of them find themselves in hospital. To quote "In 2005 Canadian seniors age 60-69 took an average of 35 different prescribed medications a year, while those age 80 or older took an average of 74. And in 2008 approximately 62% of all elderly Canadians claimed to be taking more than five different types of drugs at once"........................scary sh*t to say the least. And you can't rely on your doctor to rectify it, but you should question him very carefully upon receiving a new prescription. Get all your prescriptions through one druggist and make sure he's aware of your entire regimen. Not only is this a major health problem, but just think what it's doing to seniors financially. Read the article on Page 63.

Maybe these brain dead seniors should be taking a more active roll in their health care and start questioning their doctors and doing a little research on their own.