Bachelor/Bachelorette contest using different standards

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
as some of you may be aware, the Edmonton Sun and the Bounce, a Radio Station started up a dating contest for two people, a woman and a man and they each get to do a little speed dating.

So the Sun chose 20 men and 20 women that will be potential dates for these Bachelor Bachelorettes.

Now, my complaint.. and I have written to the newspaper about it, is that they used double standards when it came to selecting their 20 potential mates.

I will put links to the pictures so you can see for yourself but I really think that the methods they used were totally different for the men than the women.

of the 20 men that they chose. the range of ages were wider. they had a man as old as 42 as one of the possible choices. For the 20 women, the oldest woman was only 32.

youngest man was 23 and the 21 for the women.

out of 20, pretty much all of the men were either of athletic build or muscular and were pretty handsome or attractive (according to a female friend of mine..)

now of the 20 women. 4 were definitely Plus sized Women. with 1 being pretty obese and another pretty close to it.

plus the attractiveness of the women was a little questionable. I only saw 2 that I believe were attractive in my mind.

So I have no issues with the women necessarily.. but my big complaint is that they did not choose the men the same way they chose the women.

there are no really obese or "fat" men among the 20 guys chosen.

it almost feels to me that they did not want to choose all 20 of their women to be thin/athletic and all sexy and attractive.

yet they had no issues doing that for all 20 of the men.

so why the double standards here?

here are the links.

Vote Now! | Bachelor Searching for Love | Contests | Edmonton Sun

ok 1 link.

you can use your mouse to see a fuller and larger picture for each.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
24 year old Justin and 31 year old Jason are just as overweight as any of those women, of which only 3 seem to qualify for being 'overweight', but it's hard to tell with clothes on.

Of the women I see only one I wouldn't sleep with based solely on looks, and yet for the men I see 8 that i would turn down without a second thought.

Frankly, why you'd care enough to write a letter is beyond me, but even more perplexing is who on earth thought all those men were somehow 'better looking' than the majority of those women.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
well, the women are not all that impressive.. I didn't even stare at any for a few seconds. I did manage to choose 1 but the rest I couldn't even spare a few seconds for.

some of those men are creepy.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Just thought I'd add to this.

Another thing that shows more evidence that there are two different set of standards for this contest.

they revealed TOP 3 guys.. yet they revealed 10 Finalists from the women..

so they voted for all these 20 guys.. and only 3 were announced.. yet we voted for 20 women and 10 were announced.

Now, if you were the female bachelorette contestant, wouldn't you feel cheated ?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Chili,

Against my better judgmental, I'm going to donate a few minutes of my time to offer you up a bit of advice.

If you are ever successful in finding that elusive "perfect" woman, it won't be very long before you send her running for the hills if you continue to hold the attitude you do towards women in general.

No matter how beautiful a girl is, she is not going to appreciate the way you judge women - it's shallow.... and generally, perfect women are intelligent enough to know that if you're shallow about this important area of life, it's likely you're shallow in other areas as well.

You're kind of an ass, actually, and not worthy of a single one of those women in that contest. Either get a grip on your priorities, or start looking for women with standards as shallow as yours.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Chili,

Against my better judgmental, I'm going to donate a few minutes of my time to offer you up a bit of advice.

If you are ever successful in finding that elusive "perfect" woman, it won't be very long before you send her running for the hills if you continue to hold the attitude you do towards women in general.

No matter how beautiful a girl is, she is not going to appreciate the way you judge women - it's shallow.... and generally, perfect women are intelligent enough to know that if you're shallow about this important area of life, it's likely you're shallow in other areas as well.

You're kind of an ass, actually, and not worthy of a single one of those women in that contest. Either get a grip on your priorities, or start looking for women with standards as shallow as yours.

pfft whatever.

it's called opinions.

Everyone has a different opinion on what they find beautiful in regards to a woman.

out of the 20 women that were on that list, 2 were to me good looking. but this is based strictly on just the pictures we saw.

I'm sure you feel different on the women that were selected. just like someone else is going to feel different as well..

everyone will feel a little different on it.

I have a feeling that when they chose their Bachelor and Bachelorette before they had all the men and women of the Edmonton area apply into the contest that they asked them both what they're looking for, the type of woman that they are attracted to and interests.. things that they want and would like to have in their ideal man/woman.

who really knows, maybe they did not receive a whole lot of applicants.

maybe they needed 20 in order to work it and out of perhaps a few hundred that actually applied, maybe 15 or 16 were what he was looking for and so they filled the other 4 spots with whoever best fit it.

nobody really knows how they work.

I'm not necessarily saying that they should not choose regular average looking women.

I'm more complaining that they did not use the same standards for both sexes when they chose the contestants.

I think you may have mis interpreted what I was saying.

I wasn't complaining about the quality of the women. I was complaining that the standards they used to select them were not the same as the men.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
well, I didn't necessarily have any problems with the women.. everyone thinks differently when it comes to what they like and do not like.

I was just not happy that they didn't do the selections the same.