Anti-war protesters planning rally at Rogers Arena

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Anti-war protesters planning rally at Rogers Arena

January 6th, 2010
Excerpt:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Hockey fans going to Saturday's Canucks game at Rogers Arena may come face to face with some anti-war protesters who want to send a message to hockey commentator Don Cherry.

That message is for him to stop promoting the war in Afghanistan. Cherry regularly pays tribute to fallen Canadian soldiers during Coach's Corner on CBC.

Anti-war protesters planning rally at Rogers Arena - News1130

Don Cherry pays tribute to Canadian Soldiers and the Anti-War Tards have a problem with it? <censored> that! The Left (Anti-War Protesters) support freedom of speech when it serves their political agendas but when Don Cherrry exercises his freedom of speech in support of Canadian Soldiers they have a problem with it, what a bunch of <censored> hypocrites.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
So they can demonstrate all they want, more power to them. Don Cherry doesn't care what they think.

This little bit here:

The Left (Anti-War Protesters)

Being left wing doesn't mean you are anti-war. I support the war in Afghanistan along with every soldier who is over there fighting against the Taliban and Al Qeada or any other terrorist group in that country. So take a little more care with those broad strokes your using.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
All Canadians should know the cost of war and see the faces of Canadian soldiers who have died in this conflict.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Being left wing doesn't mean you are anti-war. I support the war in Afghanistan along with every soldier who is over there fighting against the Taliban and Al Qeada or any other terrorist group in that country. So take a little more care with those broad strokes your using.

It also doesn't mean you are against free speech. Come to think of it, it's usually those on the extreme right that whine about the Charter.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
They have the right to protest, just as fans and Cherry have the right to ignore them.

I do think its sad that the anti-war protesters haven't got the message that you can be against war without being against the soldiers ordered to fight it. For all the enlightenment some claim, so many in this country haven't learned the lessons the US learned from the Vietnam war. I wonder if these activists picket things like Remembrance Day ceremonies or funerals for police officers killed in the line of duty...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would rather see them protest in front of a hockey arena than in front of the funeral for a fallen soldier.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
The point is freedom of speech reigns supreme even for money tainted small minded blow hard like Cherry. We all have small minds from time to time.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
The irony being, it is the same left that cheers on the facade that we are in Iraq and Afghanistan to build "democracy", "human rights", et al. Even though in reality, we've just been growing opium and propping up warlords like Karzai.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
HUh???? B-but it's supposed to be the right who are the knuckle-draggers.... Now it's the left? No wonder the world is so confoozlled.... Too many people with labelmakers....

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
when have you seen that??
Here is the nutcase that did it. Their protest was:

"Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending the United States, a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq. …
The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist Church in, Topeka, Kan., contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. …
The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

Nate Phelps Westboro Church Exclusive - ABC News

The point is freedom of speech reigns supreme even for money tainted small minded blow hard like Cherry. We all have small minds from time to time.

Of course freedom of speech reigns supreme, just don't prevent my passage or scream in my face.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Interesting stuff, I am both left and right depending on the issue. I also support the war in
Afghanistan but I did not support the war in Iraq. Two different situations. In Afghanistan
we have the Taliban, we have the drug lords and Karzi family members are involved in that
trade right up to their eyeballs. In spite of that I think we need to be there. In Iraq we had a
dictator that was supported by America to gain power, and man supported by America when
he was at war with Iran. Saddam was not a very nice man but he did have some things going
for him. He was opposed to the Taliban, he kept the Shia in their place along with the Sunni
Radicals. Iraq was in fact a secular country, for heaven sake the Vice President was in fact
a Christian.
As for Don Cherry, he has a great act going everyone loves to hate him and he is getting all the
mileage he hoped for. What a lot of people don't like either is that he sometimes says what the
others are thinking and wish they felt free enough about Free Speech to say. I don't like a lot
of what he says but I respect the right for him to say it. These demonstrators always feel they
are being put upon and its their right to demonstrate and it is, but all to often they are using the
freedom they have to deny someone else their freedom to speak.
Sure go ahead and demonstrate, you peace demonstrations are out of fashion like a lot of
other things, we see them but who cares. The peace movement would do better to find a new
avenue to get their message out.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I listened to an interview on the radio today with the gentleman who has organized this shindig (Kimble something or other) and it his contention that Cherry should not be allowed to talk about anything related to the our military including fallen soldiers on coaches corner. I don't understand the people who don't like what Cherry is saying. Just turn him off if that's the way you feel. Anyone else who wants to watch his show should not have to get a censored version just because he offends your sensibilities.

Don Cherry's Father was a Gunner in the 1st Regiment Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. That is a big reason why he is such a strong supporter of our troops. It is also why he was firing artillery rounds in Afghanistan. I remember when he (Cherry was getting ready to give us a send off for an overseas tour and our Chief Cook (a former NHL'er who got hurt early in his career hooked us up with Cherry. What a stand up guy he was and that was before the war in Afghanistan, when our fallen came down the 401 and Canadians barely noticed because it was peacekeeping. Back then Cherry always made mention, even when no one noticed.

The Canadian military and hockey are almost synonymous. Cripe, I'm pretty sure the Kingston Cup is older than Lord Stanley's. For those of you who don't support the war I'll respect your belief when you stop trying to censor those who don't share that conviction.

Have your protest and change the channel and quite trying to shut up people who don't agree with you.