Teen caught at 181km/hr..

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Police: Teen clocked at 181 km/h

By Ghislain Allard, QMI Agency

javascript:sendit();http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/12/14/pf-16546506.htmlhttp://rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/reg/NR-cust_service.pl?MODE=CUSTOMER_SERVICE&LOOK=CNEWShttp://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20

SHERBROOKE, Que. — An 18-year-old man was flirting with suicide last Friday when he raced through Quebec’s snowy Eastern Townships at 180 km/h in a 12-year-old car, provincial police say.
The young man received a $1,255 ticket and earned 18 demerit points for allegedly driving a 1998 Dodge Neon at breakneck speeds east of Montreal.
Police spokesman Louis-Philippe Ruel told QMI Agency the road was slippery, the car was old and the driver was inexperienced.
“It could have been a very dangerous mix,” he said. “It was borderline suicidal. There was drizzle, there was also snow and water on the road.”
The teen’s driver’s licence was automatically suspended for a week and it could be revoked for two years if he’s found guilty.
Quebec has introduced a number of measures to curb speeding and street racing, including stiffer fines and increased use of photo radar. The provincial automobile insurance board has also released graphic “shock ads” for a number of years.
But police and safety advocates are at their wits' end as they try to get young drivers to slow down behind the wheel.
A QMI Agency investigation has found that at least 94 Quebecers between the ages of 16 and 24 have died on the roads this year.

is the kid just stupid? or did he want to try and kill himself?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Anyone who drives that fast on a public road is stupid. Yes driving a crappy car at that speed is stupid. Driving that fast on a public road in any kind of vehicle is seriously criminal. You want to risk your own life, go ahead.... just don't take innocent bystanders with you.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I have no problem with people who risk their lives by climbing mountains, jumping out of planes, scuba diving through under water caves and other risky activities. If something goes wrong, you are only going to kill yourself. This kid wasn't just risking his own life, but the lives of everyone else who just happened to be on the same road at the same time. He should loose his car, his license and serve some prison time for reckless endangerment. If he did crash his car and kill someone else, he should be charged with murder. (negligent homicide)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's it? I was arrested for going 232km/h on my motorcyle and had 1/3 throttle to go. He should have went faster to avoid fines and demerits. Getting arrested is the way to go. It was a 2 month suspened sentence.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That's it? I was arrested for going 232km/h on my motorcyle and had 1/3 throttle to go. He should have went faster to avoid fines and demerits. Getting arrested is the way to go. It was a 2 month suspened sentence.
And you are bragging about that? You are sick.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Those people who risk their lives by climbing mountains, jumping out of planes, scuba diving through under water caves and other risky activities put rescuers at risk when things go wrong. Nothing is ever 100% - even to the cop car or ambulance screaming at the night with all lights flashing. The kid should be condemned to his ten-speed for a while

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I don't know how this kid did it as highway 10 between Montreal and Sherbrooke is in constant repairs, single lanes and cross overs. Unless it was the right speed to be flying over the pot holes and not feeling them as much...

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'll assume that's a collective "you"
I was not directing my comments at you. I was just expressing my anger. Too many people believe speeding is harmless, when its not.

YouTube - THE WORLDS WILDEST: CRASHES YOU NEED TO WATCH

I know far too many people who have died as a result of speeding.

Those people who risk their lives by climbing mountains, jumping out of planes, scuba diving through under water caves and other risky activities put rescuers at risk when things go wrong. Nothing is ever 100% - even to the cop car or ambulance screaming at the night with all lights flashing. The kid should be condemned to his ten-speed for a while
True but its still the rescuer's call. If they don't believe they can perform the rescue safely than they can and should refuse. The people this kid put in danger had no such choice. At the speed this kid was going, I'm in favor of a prison term.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
**** yeah. Ever gone that fast? Another 3km down the highway and I would have wound it out at close to 270km/h.
Which means you are lucky to be alive. Not everyone gets a second chance.

BTW, was anyone else on the highway? Did they consent to you risking their lives?

You want to race a motorcycle? Take it onto a track, where speeding is legal.

About two years ago, my niece's boyfriend was late for his Grandmother's funeral. He and his two sisters were in the car. His older sister was driving. They were speeding on the trans-Canada and it was snowing. They spun out of control, crossed into the opposite lane where they were struck by my cousin who just happened to be driving in the opposite direction. The three siblings never made it to the funeral. All three siblings died in the crash. My cousin was ok, but he still isn't over it. I doubt he ever will be. Taking someone's life, even by accident can be an immense burden. The mother was divorced. She lost her mother and all three children in one week. Now she lives alone. No children and no chance at grandchildren. She's still close to my niece. Oh yeah... the funeral was delayed... due to snow....

Talk to any cop and I bet then can tell you many stories like that.

Speeding is serious. If you still speed like that, then you are still a road hazard.

BTW, Petros, my intention is to make you think about your actions and the possible consequences. I mean you no harm.

Peace....

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Stupid? Sure. Unusual? No.

I had a 7 year old Pontiac up to 100 mph the night of my high school prom. We all do stupid things when we're young, the lucky ones survive, the unlucky ones don't.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I was not directing my comments at you. I was just expressing my anger. Too many people believe speeding is harmless, when its not.

I know far too many people who have died as a result of speeding.

True but its still the rescuer's call. If they don't believe they can perform the rescue safely than they can and should refuse. The people this kid put in danger had no such choice. At the speed this kid was going, I'm in favor of a prison term.
Thing is ... weren't we all a bit bulletproof at one time or another? Agreed.... The kid's an ass. Once upon a time a fast car was just part of growing up...

...then, we do.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
**** yeah. Ever gone that fast? Another 3km down the highway and I would have wound it out at close to 270km/h.

....on two wheels....I've done close to that on four wheels....long ago. Now my
little 4 cylinder would start shyting itself at a bit over 1/2 that speed I'd assume.

1978 Dodge Magnum XE. Speedo only went to 150mph (240KM/h), but it
would bury that and climb for a while. 400cu.in. (smogged out 383) with the
727 Topflight behind that, and geared high. It would do the above even with
the drag of having the T-Tops off.

Not much below 30mph, but then it just sucked you back. Shift out'a first at
about 70mph, and out'a second about 110 or so....miss that car. Oh well....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There was a kid with an N license about a month ago got clocked at a little over 200k on the island hwy. Not sure what that works out to in MPH but I once got a ticket for 149mph around 100 mile house in the 70s and always did around 120mph on the bike in those years.