A Phrase people get all upset about saying - Yup Merry Christmas

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A Phrase people get all upset about saying -

Yup Merry Christmas

Why do people get upset about saying Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays -

They come up with all sorts of reasons, religious, this, that and whatever. I put it down to ignorance and bad manners.

So Merry Christmas to one and all

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Excuse the phonetics of trying to emulate an accent but "Meddy Kreetsmatts" to you too!
I have good hearing now that I have hearing aids - Why I read that and could hear it, clear as a bell ringing on Christmas Morn.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I hear Meddy Kreetsmatts from a plethora of Islamic and Hindu people every Christmas and it is always said with good intent.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I often wonder where people are at that 'merry christmas' is 'banned' or upsets people.

I guess there are advantages to being in the Maritimes. We say Merry Christmas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Merry December 25th, 2010!

In 46 BCE, Julius Caesar in his Julian calendar established December 25 as the date of the winter solstice of Europe (Latin: Bruma). Since then, the difference between the calendar year (365.2500 days) and the tropical year (365.2422 days) moved the day associated with the actual astronomical solstice forward approximately three days every four centuries, arriving to December 12 during the 16th century. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII decided to restore the exact correspondence between seasons and civil year but, doing so, he did not make reference to the age of the Roman dictator, but to the Council of Nicea of 325, as the period of definition of major Christian feasts. So, the Pope annulled the 10-day error accumulated between the 16th and the 4th century, but not the 3-day one between the 4th AD and the 1st BC century. This change adjusted the calendar bringing the northern winter solstice to around December 22. Yearly, in the Gregorian calendar, the solstice still fluctuates slightly but, in the long term, only about one day every 3000 years.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've NEVER had someone be offended to be wished a Merry Christmas. I think they're a theory more than a reality.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A Phrase people get all upset about saying -

Yup Merry Christmas

Why do people get upset about saying Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays -

They come up with all sorts of reasons, religious, this, that and whatever. I put it down to ignorance and bad manners.

So Merry Christmas to one and all

What? Everyone keeps saying that we're all upset over 'merry Christmas'! I've never in my life come across someone getting upset over being wished a Merry Christmas.

Any links? Any evidence?

I've NEVER had someone be offended to be wished a Merry Christmas. I think they're a theory more than a reality.

And a theory is supposed to be based on facts. If it's not, then it's not a theory, but a myth.

I often wonder where people are at that 'merry christmas' is 'banned' or upsets people.

I guess there are advantages to being in the Maritimes. We say Merry Christmas.

Yeah, I figure it must be some local thing too. I'll usually just say 'Have a good day', 'Have a good evening', etc. unless I know for sure the other person professes the Christian Faith or if he says 'Merry Christmas' to me first. However, I've never known anyone get upset over being wished a 'Merry Christmas'. Sure it might be used les often probably because there is a smaller percentage of Christians today, but that's not at all the same as someone getting offended over its use. I wonder if those who claim there is more offense are somehow confusing reduced commonality of the term with offense at hearing it. The two are not at all the same thing.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There is no evidence; it's an urban myth! We love to imagine enemies at our gates. Pathetic really!

"Happy Holidays!" to all my cousins!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It must be just coincidence that all these antiChristian signs and propaganda seems to happen at Christmas time huh?

Anti-Christian signs and propaganda? Like what kind?

First we need to make a distinction between Christophobic messages (which in my opinion should not be allowed in public spaces as it essentially equates with hate speech, and there must be limits to freedom of expression when that freedom is honed as a weapon), and material critical of the Christian Faith.

That said, which of the two are you referring to? If referring simply to material that is honest, factual, fair, yet critical, a good example being Gibbon's Decline and Fall, then I'd say that's a reasonable. If it's hateful, then yes I'd fully agree with you. And if it is the latter, then I'd be all for banning it in public space. But quite honestly, I haven't come across Christophobic material in a long, long time.

It must be just coincidence that all these antiChristian signs and propaganda seems to happen at Christmas time huh?

Anti-religion Sign Joins Nativity Scene, 'Holiday Tree' in Washington State Capitol - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

I will agree that that is somewhat insulting, offensive, and provocative. I don't profess the Christian faith and so don't actively celebrate it. That makes sense. At the same time though, I don't go out of my way to attack it either.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Merry Christmas to you, Goober. I have no problem with the phrase in spite of having no religious interests.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Merry Christmas to you, Goober. I have no problem with the phrase in spite of having no religious interests.

As do I when wishing others of a differing faith the greeting that i expected and used by those. Good manners and respect for others of differing beliefs.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
If you want politically incorrect greetings... I made these up my self.

Have an infidel free Ramadan.
Have a profitable Hanuka.
Have an emancipated Kwanzaa.

Now stuff it!