I think that Canada may be a little too "Multicultural"

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
ok.

now this might be difficult to grasp as I'm trying to make it work as I type it so please!! bear with me!

I have nothing against people from other countries wanting to come to Canada and start a new life! All the Power to them!

I just seem to have noticed lately that our traditions and our way of life that many of us who are Born "Naturalized" Canadians are used to for a long time, seem to be disappearing or changing due to demands or new ideas or "politically correct" situations that have come up.

the biggest example I can think of is Christmas.

I am not sure exactly when the whole issue about "politically correct" Christmas issues started but I have never been so annoyed about it.

in the 1980's and early 90's.. I do not recall seeing stores forbidding the use of phrases such as "Merry Christmas!"

Signs and advertisements using the Word Christmas in it was pretty much all over.

Then something changed and now it's mostly "Happy Holidays!" Holiday cheer.. etc etc.

And not just in stores but I see it in neighborhoods too.

Houses all over, used to be decorated with lights and Christmas trees and you couldn't even see a house without something on it!

Now it's like maybe 3 or 4 houses.. all broke up around the street and a lot of them with nothing, and no signs of Christmas at all.

Christmas isn't the only area we see it in.

There's so much grief being made over almost everything!

Now careful people as I'm about to make a statement.. Not trying to single out anyone.

I am beginning to believe that people who are coming to this country and wanting to have our freedoms and live our world as we know it then turn around and want to change everything to be more like their own Homeland.

they get offended with everything that doesn't seem right to them! yet us Naturalized Canadians have been doing this for our entire lives and don't see the reason for the offense??

I almost wish that our country was like the USA.

where their motto seemed to be, "ya you can come to our Country, but then you become a Italian-American, or a German-American, or a South African-American.." millions of their immigrants who came over 100 years ago or earlier came to US and thy adopted their ways of life! they learned to become Americans instead of just living here and being themselves in every way.

it appears that in Canada, when an Immigrant comes to live in Canada, they bring their entire country with them and then it seems like they expect others to allow and respect their traditions while they don't want to respect ours.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Waah, no one says Merry Christmas anymore, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! LESS BROWN PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY ~~~~~~~

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Where Christmas is concerned, point your attention to athiests. They are one of the groups making the biggest stink about the celebration of Christ's birth.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
you don't come into our country as an immigrant, start to live here and then start to complain that what we have for traditions and so on are offensive to you.

if we come to visit or stay at your country for a while, we can't do anything that would offend your customs and laws or else we'd face serious threats and problems!

yet you can come to our country and speak your mind and say "this offends me, that isn't right, you can't do that" ??

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Thank you for conferming my point.

I love Christmas, Trees, lights, music and the whole idea of it.

I want other people to stop trying to tell us "no no no, you can't do that, say that"

go to hell.

we have to respect your traditions and ways, so why not respect ours in return!

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
You're welcome, Gerry.

Dies Natalis Solis Invicti!

PS
Most people of all beliefs love Xmas - It's a secular celebration. I think lack of lights has more to do with an aging or cost-conscious community.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I have no idea what this thread is about. I don't recall anybody ever telling me they are offended by Christmas.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Xmas is one emple of the athiests complaining enough to have it changed from Christmas to Xmas. The same would hold true for the dropping of the Lords prayer from the public school system and the whining about any mention of God in government.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Who are we to say it is a pagan holiday, Druid yes other ancient religions yes, but it is disrespectful to lump everyone into a term like pagan. (Pagan - Term used by Christians to lump the non-Christian world in a group. Gentile - Term used by Jews for all non-Jews). Should not be disrespectful, call people by who or what religion they practice.

Christmas for most of us is a nice holiday that brings back fond memories of family life.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Xmas is one emple of the athiests complaining enough to have it changed from Christmas to Xmas. The same would hold true for the dropping of the Lords prayer from the public school system and the whining about any mention of God in government.

I consider you a cousin, Gerry, so don't be offended by the following...

Nonsense!
X (chi) is the 22nd letter of the Greek alphabet and is the first letter of Christ, so ...
Chi (letter) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your cousin,
Spade
PS
Merry Xmas!

Who are we to say it is a pagan holiday, Druid yes other ancient religions yes, but it is disrespectful to lump everyone into a term like pagan. (Pagan - Term used by Christians to lump the non-Christian world in a group. Gentile - Term used by Jews for all non-Jews). Should not be disrespectful, call people by who or what religion they practice.

Christmas for most of us is a nice holiday that brings back fond memories of family life.

Of course! Pagan is a foul and denigrating term! Phaaah!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I am beginning to believe that people who are coming to this country and wanting to have our freedoms and live our world as we know it then turn around and want to change everything to be more like their own Homeland.

Ultimately, we will eventually evolve to reasonably sustain everyone's traditional and progressive values - wherever they come from. It will take some time though, and probably not in our lifetimes. You'll have to go through this bullcrap first before we get there.

You can express your disappointment with it, but it's kind of menial to tell people to leave just because they want to call Christmas something else or they don't like turkey dinner for thanksgiving or whatever..

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
ok.

now this might be difficult to grasp as I'm trying to make it work as I type it so please!! bear with me!

I have nothing against people from other countries wanting to come to Canada and start a new life! All the Power to them!

I just seem to have noticed lately that our traditions and our way of life that many of us who are Born "Naturalized" Canadians are used to for a long time, seem to be disappearing or changing due to demands or new ideas or "politically correct" situations that have come up.

the biggest example I can think of is Christmas.

What do you want.... all immigrants to believe and accept Christmas? That's a Christian thing and while I grew up with it all over the damn place, I don't believe it's a part of this country's Identity.

I am not sure exactly when the whole issue about "politically correct" Christmas issues started but I have never been so annoyed about it.
Speaking as a "Naturalized" Canadian.... I'm not.

Besides, when did Annoyance equal needing change?

in the 1980's and early 90's.. I do not recall seeing stores forbidding the use of phrases such as "Merry Christmas!"

Signs and advertisements using the Word Christmas in it was pretty much all over.

Then something changed and now it's mostly "Happy Holidays!" Holiday cheer.. etc etc.

And not just in stores but I see it in neighborhoods too.
So? Are you suggesting everybody Must say Merry Christmas?

When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's, while more people said "Merry Christmas"..... plenty still said Happy Holidays, because it basically means the exact same thing.... the only difference is that it includes any other faiths celebrating something around the same time like the Jewish...... sure more people these days are favoring the Happy Holidays wording, but so what?

Big whoop..... what do you want? Everybody being forced to say Merry Christmas?

Guess what? Not as many people are Christians anymore, many people who were Christians, such as myself, are no longer..... and in my opinion, I..... as a "Naturalized" Canadian should have every damn right to say or do whatever I damn well please when it comes to the Holidays..... which means I can say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or Go F*ck Yourself if I so desire.

Houses all over, used to be decorated with lights and Christmas trees and you couldn't even see a house without something on it!

Now it's like maybe 3 or 4 houses.. all broke up around the street and a lot of them with nothing, and no signs of Christmas at all.
Once again, so what?

Would you like everybody to be forced to believe in Jesus, follow Christianity and celebrate Christmas as you dictate?? Should all immigrants be forced to believe what you believe, as a Naturalized Canadian?

If so, then why would you have more of a say then myself, who also is a Naturalized Canadian? I feel Naturalized citizens and immigrants should be able to freely believe whatever they want, celebrate whatever they want and if they don't wish to celebrate Christmas.... that's their prerogative, not mine.... Not yours.

This isn't an Islamic State, or a Jewish State.... it's not even a Christian State...... if you want all the hoopla that comes with Christmas and want to force people into believing in the holiday and celebrating it as you'd like..... the US isn't too far away.

Christmas isn't the only area we see it in.

There's so much grief being made over almost everything!
That's the price you pay for living in a country that accepts different cultures and supports the freedom to practice those cultures, so long as they do not infringe on other people's freedoms and rights or break our laws....... in recent years, the main reason why Christmas got flack for certain things and the reason why so many of different cultures have issues with certain things, is because for far too long, the Christian religion got a free pass to do whatever they wanted and implement their ways into our lives, regardless of what we believed in...... and some of those things have been challenged in courts as infringing on their rights and freedoms.....

..... if they're not allowed to impose their beliefs and way of life on all of us based on their religion, why should Christians?

Now careful people as I'm about to make a statement.. Not trying to single out anyone.

they get offended with everything that doesn't seem right to them! yet us Naturalized Canadians have been doing this for our entire lives and don't see the reason for the offense??
I do, and you don't speak for me.

I almost wish that our country was like the USA.
There's the door....

where their motto seemed to be, "ya you can come to our Country, but then you become a Italian-American, or a German-American, or a South African-American.." millions of their immigrants who came over 100 years ago or earlier came to US and thy adopted their ways of life! they learned to become Americans instead of just living here and being themselves in every way.
In other words, most of them adopted Christianity and their ways or ended up with burning crosses on their front lawns or swastikas spray painted on their cars...... oh wait, that happens here too.

it appears that in Canada, when an Immigrant comes to live in Canada, they bring their entire country with them and then it seems like they expect others to allow and respect their traditions while they don't want to respect ours.
It's a tit for tat situation..... They're not holding parades down the street or decorating their homes to shove their traditions all in our faces in the name of their religion..... so why should Christians?

Bottom line is that all I see in your arguments towards immigrants revolves around Christmas and not accepting Christian traditions..... which has nothing to do with Canadian Culture, Rights, Laws or Traditions.

So long as Immigrants abide by our laws, accept our languages and are productive to our society, they can believe or do whatever they damn well please..... and if that means fewer homes wasting energy in colored light bulbs strung all over the place or not saying Merry Christmas when they walk by........ oh well.

I have more important things to worry about in my life besides forcing immigrants to fuel my childhood nostalgia.

you don't come into our country as an immigrant, start to live here and then start to complain that what we have for traditions and so on are offensive to you.

If they're a full fledged Citizen of this nation, they have every damn right to complain about anything under the sun, just like you're doing right now, just like we all do.

if we come to visit or stay at your country for a while, we can't do anything that would offend your customs and laws or else we'd face serious threats and problems!

That depends on the nation you're talking about....... if you're talking about Iran, you might be right.... but considering they're an Islamic State and ours isn't a State based on a Religion, it's irrelevant.

yet you can come to our country and speak your mind and say "this offends me, that isn't right, you can't do that" ??

Once again, if they're full fledged Citizens, they have every right to bitch and moan...... they also have every right to challenge what they find offensive in our courts...... chances are they'll be shot down, but it's still their right to try and their right to fail.

I love Christmas, Trees, lights, music and the whole idea of it.

I want other people to stop trying to tell us "no no no, you can't do that, say that"

go to hell.

we have to respect your traditions and ways, so why not respect ours in return!

Who's telling you specifically you can't say Merry Christmas or you can't put up trees or celebrate Christmas?

Nobody.

The only places that have any restrictions are Malls, Stores and Companies/Businesses that serve everybody regardless of their beliefs or practices..... you can run down the street shouting Merry Christmas until you poop yourself, you can decorate your house as much as you please....... but others are perfectly free to not do any of that.